66sprint6

EVENnewestER DD 2018 F150

1,021 posts in this topic

Havnt been to the track in a bit and saw that Friday night's weather was gonna be gooooood so off I went.

68* and the DA was roughly 1800 so WAY better than usual and yet...the truck pretty much stayed the same.  I love it but I swear its cursed to just sit right where it is no matter how good the air or track is.

Pass 1) 7.78 at 89.45 with a 1.74 60.  35psi in the tires

Pass 2) 7.95 at 87.89 with a 1.77 60.  Bout 15 minutes between runs but the line moved the entire time

Pass 3) 7.82 at 89.45 with a 1.77 60.  30psi front 27psi rear, roughly 20 minute cool down

Pass 4) 7.87 at 88.75 with a 1.76 60.  Similar cool down time.

Got on the road before the program started so I could play with the boys before bed.  Ill be going back tomorrow (Tue night) tho the weather wont be quite as promising.  Im thinking about grabbing some ice bags maybe...see if this thing responds at all.

Matt

JohnC and Tino like this

Got back to the Hill last night and enjoyed the cool air.  Decided to try out some new stuff just for kicks and...well Im not sure much changed better or worse.

First off I put together this POS contraption to try and cool things down some between runs.  Took Disney's advice, added a fuse on the power wire and some grating on the back to keep fingers and such safe.  Alligator clips on the power wires make quick work of powering it up and removing it. 

20210927_214415 (1).jpg

Not sure it did a lick of good BUT the intake piping and upper intake go from super super hot to the touch to cold in a couple minutes so better than nothing!  I used it when we first got there and every pass after except between 1 and 2 which was a literal hot lap.  I noticed the trans temps dropped drastically between passes using this thing as well compared to every other night Ive been out there.  They would hover around 208 or so and drop to 194 if I was lucky after a good long cool down.  10 minutes or so with this and the trans temps would drop to 185 on the way to the staging lanes.  Trans has a liquid cooler rather than air from factory.  Joked around last night about building some tabs to mount it to the engine cover mounts and running it non stop but for now its easy enough to set up and then take it off and toss it in the back floor when its time to go.

I also toyed around with this mess.  It seems like the "Cold Air" Intake isnt much of a power adder in the Ecoboost F150 world (different story on the 5.0) vs the stock airbox and a decent filter so I grabbed the filter off the 66 and some 4" aluminum cuts from when I made the intake for it and did a super simple open filter.

20211012_165038.jpg

20211012_165046.jpg

Outside of a piece to replace the upper lid and seal the box to the hood, this is pretty much what you get with most lower buck intakes and Im not out $200-400.  Now...a sealed box with better designed snorkel like the S&B or Bullydog would likely be a great option over the stock box but they are spendy.  Outside of quite a bit more shoo shoo noises I didnt notice much (wasnt expecting anything much) BUT on steeper hills I notice it downshifts less and holds 9th and 10th more rather than dropping to 8th or even 7th which is interesting.  At the track I ran the dingle dangle intake for the first handful of runs and then swapped back to the stock airbox to see what was up.

Run 1) 7.79 at 90.54 with a 1.80 60.  Open filter, using fan before, 38psi in tires and she spun hard in first and 2nd drifting out of the groove both times.  New PB mph!

Run 2) 7.96 at 88.55 with a 1.83 60.  Hot Lap, never even had a chance to shut down or open the hood

Run 3) 7.87 at 89.26 with a 1.78 60.  Dropped rears to 30psi.  20 minute cool down

Run 4) 7.89 at 88.91 with a 1.75 60.  Dropped fronts to 34psi.  10 minute cool down

Run 5) 7.87 at 89.81 with a 1.82 60.  Stock airbox back on.  30 minute cool down.

Run 6) 7.90 at 89.45 with a 1.82 60.  Stock airbox 20 minute cool down.

Run 7) 7.78 at 89.46 with a 1.73 60.  Put the dingle dangle filter back on.  20 minute cool down.

FIRST time ever running 7.7 TWICE in one night which is amazing but that was likely thanks to the track prep more than anything on the final run (60ft).  They prep the track between rounds and runs 5-7 were during the bracket rounds.

Otherwise I dont really see much between the two intakes or the fan except maybe that the ticket to decent consistency is to cool down about 20 minutes with the fan going.  Next week should have even better air so Im gonna run the stock box first couple passes and then switch to the open filter to pretty much put to bed the open filter deal.  From what I see it doesnt hurt anything or help.  We did one on my buddy's bone stock 2021 3.f truck and it also didnt do anything for it.  His best run was his last run on the stock box with an 8.74 at 80.35 with a 1.98 60.  Thats insane for 100% stock with 900 miles on it.  Amazing.

20211012_181949.jpg

Matt

Tino, JohnC and Disney like this

Mom has been wanting to come hang out at the track for a good while now (used to hang out with a bunch of street racers back in the day apparently) and finally got the chance last night.  Ended up being a super fun night despite only getting 4 runs in and it was Co-Pilot night so she got to ride for 2 passes before they told is to quite for being too quick.  Temps were good and the air was amazing, DA was just under 1500 to start the night and fell to around 1200 according to Mike.  I had intended on disconnecting the front sway bar but forgot my pry bar to get it up and off the end links so that didnt happen.  I ran the open filter all night, was on roughly E35 mix and had the tires at 34psi front and 30psi rear all night.

Pass 1) 7.59 at 91.06 with a 1.69 60ft. :w00t:  Not sure where that came from but I was beyond happy.  The guy handing out the slips did a double take and said "Damn...that truck is flying".  I figured it was another 7.78 but was pleasantly surprised!

Pass 2) 7.83 at 90.01 with a 1.80 60ft.  Co-Pilot with Mom.  Spun a bit out of the hole

Pass 3) 7.86 at 89.63 with a 1.79 60ft.  Co-Pilot again, hotlap this time with fan running until we got up to the front

Pass 4) 7.73 at 91.62 with a 1.80 60ft.  Heck yeah, woulda been happy with this as the fastest pass being I finally got passed the 7.78's.  PB mph as well.

20211020_105804.jpg

Broke out big time on the last pass so we headed home and found out the exhaust past the Resonator Delete had pushed out of its 3 hangers and was hanging on the rear axle resulting in some fancy strap action in order to get home.

I was all over that 1.69 60ft, it felt amazing but no matter what I couldnt get much quicker than 1.80 after that.  One more night of racing left.  I might still mess with the sway bar for kicks but its proven that itll 60 if the stars align just right as it sits.

Matt

Disney and Tino like this

Congrats on hanging out with your mom, setting new PB, and driving home with only a strap mod.  

Oh, I'll give you credit for beating JohnC since he didn't show.  He was probably at a Biden rally.  :duck:

mstrpth and 66sprint6 like this

WOAH thanks for those Mike, super cool!  

Speaking of super cool, it was super cool last night at the track.  I got there RIGHT as they were starting TNT due to a couple wrecks on the way so I went straight into the lanes and into my first pass with no cool down which ticked me off as thats usually my quickest pass of the night but still started the night off with a solid pass.  Temps were low low low and the DA started around 1200 and dropped as the night went on.  35psi front tires 30psi rear E35 in the tank

Run 1) 7.70 at 90.93 with a 1.74 60.  Noticed after this pass that the new air filter pipe had popped out of the filter.  Doubt it made any difference but I sorted it after this

Run 2) 7.65 at 91.85 with a 1.73 60.  WOOHOO first time EVER she didnt drop off after the first pass.  20-30 minute cool down with the fan going per usual.  Another PB MPH.

Run 3) 7.66 at 91.85 with a 1.75 60.

Run 4) 7.75 at 90.72 with a 1.76 60.

Run 5) 7.69 at 91.08 with a 1.74 60.

Run 6 7.72 at 91.81 with a 1.78 60.

Really fun night to be in the 7.7's all night which is what Ive always wanted...apparently I just need a really cold night to do so :lol:  You know its a good night when you have to keep adjusting your dial in faster rather than slower as the night goes on!

Video of pass #2.  Solo pass so you can kinda almost hear what the truck is up to!

20211026_195324.jpg

I put the big JLT filter back on the 66 where it belongs and ordered up this S&B along with another stock airbox lid to try and get something a little more permanent in place.  No better than the stock lid and higher flowing drop in filter BUT it does pull hills in a higher gear with less effort so maybe there is some power under the curve.  Also all my PB MPH have come with the open filters despite switching between them in the same night tho that may not be anything.  I like it so far and it was 1/4 the price of even some of the cheaper "cold air" intakes out there.

20211026_132853.jpg

Added some weather strip from the Wagon to finish it off a little cleaner

20211026_134105.jpg

20211026_134101.jpg

I had a chance to take the swaybay endlinks loose and made a couple 4hi 2500rpm launches on the street but they all ended in massive wheel spin so I wasnt sure if it would help or not.  I took a small chunk out of my palm trying to get my tube step bars off so I ended up leaving them on and leaving the swaybar alone at the track.  Will likely give it a shot next season to see if it makes any difference good or bad.  Still might try the Meth injection out as well as last night proved she could be consistently quick when heat wasnt as much of a factor.  Would love to be able to do that in the heat of Spring and Summer.

All the heat/sound deadening is going back on today and I will be flashing to the 5 Star 87-95 OAR tune till next Spring.  Sad but it was a fun season...more fun than I was expecting for sure!

Matt

Tino and JohnC like this

Did you see the red short bed 90's F150?  I saw it go a 6.87.  If it had stock steel wheels on it, it would be the best sleeper ever.  The two most impressive vehicles last night were ford F150's.

JohnC, 66sprint6 and Tino like this

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

Did you see the red short bed 90's F150?  I saw it go a 6.87.  If it had stock steel wheels on it, it would be the best sleeper ever.  The two most impressive vehicles last night were ford F150's.

YES!  I love that truck so much and I said the same thing.  I would go through the trouble of having some of the same factory wagon wheels I had on my 88 put together for it just to complete the look.  Super cool truck, didnt see it go 6.87 tho thats amazing!

Matt

Looks like The Hill is actually sticky.

Have they been prepping it that good all year? 

They have any T&T or Grudge days left this year? 

They prep pretty ok especially right before the bracket program.  It's hit or miss for me but I was happy to be consistently in the lower 1.7 60s where other nights I'm in the 1.8s.  The night I went 7.59 it dead hooked to a 1.69 60ft and didn't spin even in the slightest.  You can hear it spinning in last night's videos but not as bad as it can!

No more tnt nights Tues or Fri but I'm not sure if they do open passes on Sats which is all they have left.

Matt

JohnC likes this

1 hour ago, 66sprint6 said:

They prep pretty ok especially right before the bracket program.  It's hit or miss for me but I was happy to be consistently in the lower 1.7 60s where other nights I'm in the 1.8s.  The night I went 7.59 it dead hooked to a 1.69 60ft and didn't spin even in the slightest.  You can hear it spinning in last night's videos but not as bad as it can!

No more tnt nights Tues or Fri but I'm not sure if they do open passes on Sats which is all they have left.

Matt

How are high hp cars doing on DR's up there? 

Not sure lately as I don't get to watch much.  My stick cars used to hook hard until the last couple times I ran the Shelby and it was a bitch getting it to hook.  Before that tho I could pretty much count on it hooking most nights out.  Ask Mike, he would be your man for that info for sure!

Matt

I've been going 1.49 60' without pushing it, but I've been much faster there.  German was there Tuesday with his small tire sn95 that I would assume can go sub 1.2 60' and he hooked.

I think it was better last Tuesday than it had been the previous two weeks.

66sprint6 and JohnC like this

On 10/28/2021 at 6:45 AM, Mike said:

I've been going 1.49 60' without pushing it, but I've been much faster there.  German was there Tuesday with his small tire sn95 that I would assume can go sub 1.2 60' and he hooked.

I think it was better last Tuesday than it had been the previous two weeks.

You got that car running so good, Mike. :up:

On 6/8/2021 at 9:45 AM, 66sprint6 said:

I still want one for sure BUT this thing is, as you and a couple others told me, 100% what I need at this point in life and the fact that I can go to the Hill and run 7's consistently...thats just icing on the cake.  I honestly cant imagine NOT having one of these in the driveway for the foreseeable future and itll take one hell of a vehicle to replace it.

Im still after a new Bronco but ive been going back and forth with Kathleen about trading her Edge for one when they are available.  Maybe Ill get lucky and she will drive one and love it as well.

Matt

I’ve driven two now, a Black Diamond trim and a Badlands trim and walked away disappointed.  Interior was functional but the plastics seemed very cheap as compared to A Jeep Wrangler and seemed very underpowered for its heft.  I needed up trading the Jeep for a Bronco Sport.  Not the big Bronco I thought I wanted but definitely a fun and capable vehicle.  Great mileage and the interior is laid out great.  Overall, very satisfied after 200 miles.   

Bronco Sports are great and most buyers are loving them from what I'm seeing!  I was very underwhelmed by the few Broncos I've seen in person and sat in and enjoyed the one I drove but not enough to cause me to get the itch for one.  I still maintain that ide prefer a 2 door and after FINALLY seeing a Cyber Orange 2 door Sadquatch (100% what ide love to have) I really just can't talk myself into a 4 door.  Now...if Kathleen wanted one then 4 door it is but at the moment I'm drooling over the F150 Tremor more than the Bronco.

Matt