Ashley P

16 Ecoboost engine noise (ahem, Matt)

7 posts in this topic

Customer has a 2016 F150,  102k on a  2.7.   Engine has some noise/noises that started 6 months ago and hasn't changed.  Same noise hot or cold.   Noise gets "sharper" with engine load. With the oil fill cap removed the sound is clearing coming from crankcase. 

I think I'm hearing two noises, one the rhythm of a valve/lifter, the other double that speed like piston.

I've heard plenty of chain noise, that's not what I'm hearing. 

My thought is

Spoiler

broken piston skirt

What says Matt the EcoWIzzard?

Im no wizzard but mine sure does make all the typical Ecoboost noises.  I know they are noisy little motors to begin but the known normal noises are often phaser rattles which are not constant but rather come in short loud bursts after a cold start and often after letting off the throttle in lower gears.  The other common noises are wastegate rattle which is constant but most noticeable when revving and accelerating near a wall or other cars.  The heat shield on the exhaust crossover also pops loose and can make you pull your hair out chasing the rattle as it often sounds like its coming from somewhere else.

Apparently these things like to warp exhaust manifolds making a similar ticking BUT 2.7's dont have manifolds so thats not it.  

Now...Ive never HEARD an ecoboost with a broken piston skirt in person but Ive heard of it happening for sure.  Does the 2.7 have the high pressure pump on the passenger valve cover like the 3.5?  Mine is noisy which gives off a lifter tick sound or like a diesel truck at idle but it gets drowned out when adding rpm.  

Not sure I can be of any help.  Interested in seeing what the culprit winds up being.  Does it run ok otherwise?

Matt

I don't know about the high pressure pump, thanks for bringing that up.  Truck runs fine, although he mentioned fuel mileage is variable, sometimes as low as 19.  No codes.

I've scheduled him to leave it with me in a couple weeks, gonna look for cylinder balance and see if I can kill individual cyls to see if that changes the noise.

Interesting!!!  The common trick on getting MPG and idle quality back up on the 3.5 (im sure it goes for the 2.7 as well) is just to clean the 3 MAP sensors thoroughly, check/change the plugs and check the boots for cracks.  My 3.5 only had ~50k on it and each sensor was oily but my Buddy's 2014 3.5 has 100+ and his sensors were caked up bad.  After cleaning them his ran like a brand new truck and he says his MPG is back where it used to be again.

Matt

Im interested to see the results of the cylinder balance test.  Hopefully its just a typical noisy son of a bitch and will keep going for another 100K for them!

Matt