JohnC

2 Post Car and Truck Lifts

91 posts in this topic

To start a specific thread on 2 post lifts, let's start here....

On 12/8/2020 at 11:14 PM, Disney said:

Congrats!!!

I will almost always recommend a two post. More versatile to me. Great for doing mechanical work. The 4 post is better for doing exhaust since the suspension is already loaded, but that doesnt apply to cars with IRS. People will point that you can park under a 4-post. Those people must lack imagination because you can just as easy park under a 2 post. Literally no difference. Raise car, pull other car under. 

Best and safest lift = Made in the USA. That means Mohawk ($$$$), Challenger ($$$), Rotary ($$), or Nussbaum ($). I would advise to get one off the used market. All depends on how patient you are. I would be best case scenario to have it installed right off the bat so you aren't having to reconfigure the garage when you do get one. You will sometimes see some European imports for sale, those are very good also. I would avoid the temptation and low cost of the China lifts. I think even the new low end Challenger and Rotary lifts are made in China now, which are just the same as the other China lifts with the American names on them that they brought to market to be able to sell at that low price point. 

I bought a used Rotary for $1600 off ebay. Before I was ready for one I would see them pop up and go for 1200-1800. When i was time to buy one I had get the one that came along. If I was buying new now, i'd probably go with the Nussbaum. https://us.nussbaumlifts.com/assets/Uploads/0_USA/US-Brochures/fbcaa118fe/Nussbaum_SPL_SS_092816_WEB.pdf

So I looked at various dealership on lifts.

They all recommend you have a forklift to get the packaged lift out of the semi I assume.

The weight I seen on one of the Rotary lifts was almost 1,700lbs. :dead:

@Disney how did you get your lift out of the semi?

If I were buying a new lift, it would be the Nussbaum 10k. I think it's $4,295 if you buy direct from the factory. Basing that off of a recent thread on Garage Journal. https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8594323&postcount=1

I don't think i'd get accessories with it. I believe it comes with a set of adapters for truck lifting. I can't think of what you'd need beyond that.

I bought a used lift off ebay, so I went and got it with on my car trailer. Then I just used my engine hoist to take it off in pieces. If you're going to have someone install it for you, talk with them and they will likely handle receiving it and bringing it to you in the install cost. I think Nussbaum has a network of installers that they can link you up with. 

JohnC likes this

By looking at both, The 9005 is heavier in package weight so probably a bit more metal to it

9005 package weight is 3740 Lbs where the 5001 is 1750 Lbs

42 minutes ago, KNIGHT347 said:

By looking at both, The 9005 is heavier in package weight so probably a bit more metal to it

9005 package weight is 3740 Lbs where the 5001 is 1750 Lbs

I noticed that, too. :yes: 

But the pictures look the same and to double the weight, it would be more than twice the materials. :???: 

Makes me wonder if the wright is a typo. :shrug: 

Guess I'll just have to call them.... 

2 hours ago, Disney said:

I would think you'd want this one: https://us.nussbaumlifts.com/spl-10000-m-5/  The Xl's you have linked are for high roof stuff. Like a box truck, or high roof van. At regular one will lift a full size truck all the way up. The XL will lift a full size truck with a loaded ladder rack on it.

OK. That makes sense. :yes: 

I tried to buy it online, but nothing happened.

I guess they call you based off the info in the order form and let you buy over the phone? :shrug: 

Disney likes this

So this is the info his installer sent. 

Hi Christopher

My name is Bob Hayes. I am the Nussbaum distributor for Tennessee.
I was forwarded your info from Byron Hauser and wanted to answer your questions.

Is the house you're moving into brand new or an existing structure?
The minimum requirements for concrete are 4" thick and a 3000psi mix.
Most new construction meets those requirements. I could drive up and drill the concrete to give you an estimate of depth but have no way of measuring the strength. I would be surprised if the concrete is not up to standards but I have seen it when it should be re-poured.

As far as the garage door goes, you would need to contact a garage door company to have that work done.

Electrical requirements are 220V 1Ph on a 30amp breaker. Electrical connections are not included in the installation. I will say that if the power is hanging from the ceiling I will connect to the lift but I cannot run the power from the box.

I prefer to have the lift shipped to my warehouse. We do about 50% of the assembly before we even put it on my trailer.

The cost of the lift would be $4980 installed plus tax. 
If you want me to come up and do a sight inspection plus drill the concrete the cost of that would be $200.

Please call me with any questions.

--
Bob Hayes
931-580-7866

Not a bad price installed. :yes: 

But he doesn't do the other stuff Nussbaum guy said he could do, so I need to organize the electrician and garage door people myself.  

mstrpth likes this

Hope you have some empty space in your panel as I'm guessing you will need 2-220v breakers, one for the lift and another for a compressor or electric car.  :D

Disney and JohnC like this

4 hours ago, Cannon Fodder said:

Hope you have some empty space in your panel as I'm guessing you will need 2-220v breakers, one for the lift and another for a compressor or electric car.  :D

The electrician will make it happen. :baller: 

Disney and mstrpth like this

If I build another house, i'll request that the garage isn't finished out. Building my current house, I had them run 2 dedicated circuits in the garage and have still had to add outlets here and there.

JohnC likes this

Well yes and no.  you currently only have 2 of the single space double circuit breakers.  A couple more circuits could be converted over to these breakers to give you 4 empty spaces.

There is however a limit but I'm not sure what it is now, a friends house had about half the panel of these and had to replace the panel to add a few more circuits.

JohnC likes this