Disney

Disney's Auto Shop Top Tips

81 posts in this topic

LubeGard makes a product called Instant Shudder Fix.   If you ever have an autotragic transmission that has TCC shudder, this stuff works well.  Amazingly well, IMO.

Disney and 66sprint6 like this

Every so often (maybe once every five years for me) a rock caught in brakes/suspension can cause a squeak/rattle.  I would have sworn that the cradle was loose, but after my 10th close inspection I found two rocks:  one was wedged at the control arm pivot, the other against a cradle bushing.   Don't forget to look for that kinda thing.

Disney likes this

New vehicles with electric throttles make engine driveability diagnostics difficult.   2016 Silverado, 5.3, cranks and would run very rough for less than 2 seconds and die.  If an immediate attempt was made to crank, the engine would not run at all, barely firing.  If allowed to sit for several seconds after it died, upon a crank attempt it would repeat the rough running for less than 2 seconds.

No codes, and it ran so rough for such a short period of time that scanner data was almost useless.

Spark and compression on #1 looked good, and for giggles I cranked it over with the plug out...and it ran.

Do you know why? 

Spoiler

It allowed exhaust from that manifold to vent....the cat was completely blocked.  I pulled the O2S and it ran good sounding like a rocket blasting off under the cab.  If the throttle had actually opened when I was cranking it over playing with APP, I would have heard the reverb in the intake.  Diagnostics would have taken about 10 seconds.  Thanks fly by wire.

Disney likes this