Mike

What would you hypothetically build? Now with more CTS-V

Rate this topic:

703 posts in this topic

A little fab work from yesterday.  My headers have gotten to where they leak at the collector all the time.  I can tighten them up and they are quiet for about 2 weeks then they sound like an old truck.  So, I cut them off and I'm welding V-bands on instead of the ball and socket.  I got as far as getting the headers bolted back on last night.  I'll modify and weld up the x-pipe tonight.

If you look close you can see where the flange was sliding up/ deforming the ball on the header.  They moved a little each time, just getting worse and worse.  The flange piece needs a bevel on it to distribute load, but what can you expect for $2k headers. :smirk:

IMG_4246.JPG

IMG_4250.JPG

IMG_4248.JPG

IMG_4253.JPG

IMG_4254.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4258.JPG

66sprint6, JohnC, Cody and 1 other like this

BTW... What brand headers were those again?

I noticed Kooks went to a different clamp setup. Probably to stop that from happening.

IMG_2727 (Edited).JPG

Hope the new style don't leak!

The X-pipe is fit up and half welded.  I'll finish welding it this week.  I'm going to weld up all the joints in it also because each one leaks a little bit.  I'm also going to put some wide band clamp on the X to stock muffler joint so hopefully that will seal that joint completely.  If not, that might get V-bands also.

IMG_4271.JPG

IMG_4272.JPG

IMG_4273.JPG

IMG_4274.JPG

IMG_4275.JPG

66sprint6, mstrpth and JohnC like this

I made my intercooler pump mount tonight.  No shot of the cad, but I drew it up there first and printed it 1:1.

Then taped to some .090" 5052 aluminum.  I marked the hole centers.  And traced the outline.

IMG_4281.JPG

Drilled the holes.

IMG_4283.JPG

Then cut it out with a jigsaw.

IMG_4284.JPG

Then rounded the edges and DA sanded the plate.

IMG_4286.JPG

Installed the ZR1 pump bushings.

IMG_4287.JPG

I have to get the correct bolts tomorrow.

IMG_4288.JPG

IMG_4289.JPG

It's about the same size as the varimax.

IMG_4290.JPG

I'm tackling a project that was low priority last year, but I'm out of the high priority stuff now.  I've suspected the upper control arm bushings were bad for a while.  It's a relatively common problem and they squeak when it's real cold outside.  I actually bought poly bushings last year to do this, but didn't want to mess up the alignment to do them since it wasn't a serious issue.

Tore it down.

IMG_0424.JPG

I even pulled the spindle/hub for another fabrication project.

IMG_0425.JPG

Yep, bushings are bad.

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

New creative steel "street" bushings to go in their place.

IMG_0422.JPG

IMG_0423.JPG

Beginning work on the brake cooling duct plates.

Cleaned up the spindle and threw it back on for measurements.

IMG_0444.JPG

Got some measurements and drew it up in cad.  I'll have a local shop laser cut the backing plate in 18 gauge 304 stainless.  The "appendage" hanging off the bottom is the incorporation of the factory shield that covers the ball joint boot from brake heat.  This plate will replace that part that is currently sandwiched between the bearing and spindle/knuckle.

duct plate.JPG

Cody, Disney, JohnC and 3 others like this