Chad

Random thought thread

19,293 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, JohnC said:

Don't be hating on our cheap race gas! :ranting::boxing::thwack:

Your cheap race gas is my expensive T-bone!  And thousands of other corn products. :grumpy:    :)    Just beware inflation of all goods, especially grains.

;

Oh, I watched Biden tour a Ford plant, very cringe worthy.   Biden is nearly retarded, and with Ford's great skill at COMPLETELY over complicating a vehicle, then throw in a few UAW pitches.....I didn't throw up.

JohnC likes this

I'm curious:  In your community, what is the mask wearing percentage of "white" people vs "black" people?   I'm guessing that locally about 50% of black people are wearing a mask, while about 5% of white people are wearing one.   Why is that?

Posted (edited)

I wonder that too. I actually have a hard time even recognizing racial differences, but I do notice masks. When i've seen people wearing masks recently, i've noticed more black people seem to wear them than whites, but I don't know how many of each i'm seeing because I just don't pick up easily on that. Like, if two people walked by me and I looked them right in the face, then you stopped me and asked me the race of the people I would have no clue. BUt if two people walked by and you asked me how many had a mask, I would be able to tell you that.

Edited by Disney

Oddly enough now that the mandate is lifted and Walmart doesn't require them I've noticed the same exact thing.  I shrugged it off, whatever makes you feel comfortable is ok by me but since you mentioned it, it jogged my recognition of it as well.

Matt

Posted (edited)

From what I've seen, the people who continue to wear masks are typically those who vote democrat.  A large percentage of black people vote democrat, therefore most of them will be wearing masks.  I am sure that isn't 100% across the board as I've seen people who I know are fairly conservative wearing masks as well as fairly liberal people not wearing them in recent weeks.  So, I believe it is more politics based rather than race based.

Edited by Kevin

I grew up with mostly black people, went to schools that are black majority and most of my friends are black. 

When this corona virus started, I remember hearing a lot of black folks saying that it's bs and it only affects white people. 

Cause when it 1st started I only saw white people wearing mask.

My coworker (white kid that lived in Springfield) could not find any meat or toilet paper out there where he lived.

So I took him to save-a-lot over here by the shop. And he was surprised to find meat and toilet paper on the shelves. And very few people wearing masks

I told him that black folks don't  believe that corona virus crap.

What got to black folks is the media. I kept hearing ads on the radio saying that the corona virus affects blacks worst than white people and that more black people are dying from it. 

Next thing I see is every single black person is wearing a mask everywhere. Even when they're in their own car alone. And they started taking it serious. 

The media got to them and controlled their minds. It kills me to see that ****. 

And even now that the face mask mandates are lifted i see way more black people with mask

And my Mexican folks they don't really care about it. No one in my family took it serious. I don't think we get easily brainwashed cause alot of them still think it's bullshit.

JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

Thanks for the replies, I tend to agree with you all. 

What are your estimated % of masks?

Tino I remember seeing similar articles about it effecting black populations worse than other demographic or communities and figured it was kinda like how we saw big upticks in our more rural towns all of a sudden because they didn't take it serious until it hit and hit hard.

One of my best friends is Mexican and he ended up getting it but even then didn't really effect him or his family much (same with our household thankfully) so once he was better it was business as usual.  We both talked about being respectful of store owners wishes and also taking extra precautions to protect the elderly in our families but our direct households not really being a big deal.

To be honest, one of my Sons brought some BS home from daycare that has whooped my ass much much worse than Covid did and I don't see anyone shutting the world down or sending me more of my Tax money back over it.  I'm thankful for that to be the case and that our health is in a state that we were not part of the few who had it rough is what I'm getting at in a round about way.

Matt

JohnC likes this

On 1/12/2016 at 11:06 AM, Mike said:

When I say help them.  I don't mean just give them food and a place to sleep.  I mean treat their alcohol, drug, mental problems etc.

I may split this off to the political/ religious section.  But here goes.

Around Thanksgiving I went to a wedding for a member of my wife's family in Brentwood.  It was at Revenant Church on Franklin Rd. near Concord Rd.  I think some people refer to it as the castle church.  This wasn't just a normal wedding.  Every member in the church was there along with family and friends.  They said numerous times during the ceremony that there were over 800 people there.  It took nearly two hours for the ceremony because half way through the wedding was paused to give an hour long sermon.  It was being broadcast over the internet.  The preacher was mostly talking to the online watchers during the sermon.  As an outsider to this church it seemed like an hour long Billy Mayes commercial.  Their "pitch" was to sell everything you own, move to Brentwood and give all your money to the church.  She actually said that multiple times.  4 people gave testimonies saying they did just that.    Of course even as a relatively new Tennessean you can see that moving to Brentwood isn't much of a sacrifice.  She touted how many people were at the wedding and how much money they had spent on the church and how much the wedding cost.  They played eerie background music while she was talking.  It was truly a show.  This preacher lady was the typical TV evangelist with the big hair and too much makeup.  See for yourself.  http://www.weighdownchurch.com/  http://www.remnantfellowship.org/About-the-Leaders/Gwen-Shamblin

The whole thing weirded me and every other family member we spoke to completely out.  She appears to market her church to wealthy people around the US and tells them that they can find happiness by selling it all and giving it all to her.  Very little mention of salvation, mostly just give me your money.  The rest of the time she talked about how great and grand her church was.  I'm convinced she lived there in the church and she was using the money coming in to continue building her "castle".  It's places like this that give the other Christian churches a bad name.

The only missing was Jim Jones kool-aid at the reception. :D

I don't know if any of you guys remember this, but...  Same people from the recent plane crash.  My wifes family is all very curious how this will play out as far as the church is concerned.  We're hoping the truth will come out about this "cult".

https://www.wsmv.com/news/plane-with-7-passengers-crashes-into-percy-priest-lake-all-presumed-dead/article_03eb9268-c0a4-11eb-8275-2344565cd3b1.html?block_id=665570

https://www.wsmv.com/news/remnant-fellowship-members-share-memories-of-seven-plane-crash-victims/article_ecb95fd4-c32e-11eb-a6c9-3f211d481a70.html?block_id=994460

JohnC likes this

The other day I researched the crash, and pretty soon I was having the  "haven't I seen these people before" thought.  You've just explained why.

Sad for those involved.   :(

I met Gwen Shamblin when she was in Cookeville while I was at TTU.  We were having a cookout at the church of Christ Christian center at Collegeside CofC.  She went around trying to get us students to join her Weigh Down Workshop.  I knew within 4 seconds of meeting her that she was a loon.  She made me feel very uncomfortable.  A friend of mine worked for her and he said she wasn't like that when he started working there.  After about a year, she became unpleasant to work for and he quit.  I believe she started out with good intentions but became "smarter than God" after she became successful. 

Tino:  If I'm scheduling about 7 weeks out, and right now the van I'm working on has Tamaulipas Mexico plates, am I working too cheap? lol

Speeding is so dangerous that we'll PIT you!  - Officer Retard.

I'd pay to see gun beltless cop vs the husband.

I saw that the other day.  I could feel my blood pressure rising.  I hope that cop loses his pension.  Idiot.  I've always told my wife not to stop for a cop out on the interstate.  Now, I wonder if I've given her good advice.

Ashley P likes this

Friend of ours described the housing market as shark infested waters.

Multiple friends have tried to buy property and been outbid.

So I finally got around to listed my Townhouse / Condo (whatever they classify it as) and a half day after listed we had 2 offers over asking price. One was $20k over asking.

Woke up today (1.5 days after listing) with 6 more offers, one a cash offer $32k over our asking price.

Crazy! 

mstrpth, 66sprint6 and Disney like this

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Friend of ours described the housing market as shark infested waters.

Multiple friends have tried to buy property and been outbid.

So I finally got around to listed my Townhouse / Condo (whatever they classify it as) and a half day after listed we had 2 offers over asking price. One was $20k over asking.

Woke up today (1.5 days after listing) with 6 more offers, one a cash offer $32k over our asking price.

Crazy! 

John, materials costs are STILL about 3 times what they were pre-Covid.     If that holds, building costs are gonna remain much higher and your condo is CHEAP compared to building.

RAISE YOUR PRICE!

Edited by Ashley P

Posted (edited)

I had a guy stop me when I was walking one day.  He asked me if any property was for sale.  I told him there were none I know of.  He asked me if I'd consider selling my house.  I said I would for the right price.  He insulted me with a super low ball price, so I just walked off with him still talking.  I've had two other people stop by my house asking me about property in my neighborhood.  I have since found out that Hickman Co. is hot right now.  My neighbor sold her house a couple months back.  I thought $225,000 when I saw the sign in her yard.  Asking price was $245,000.  Selling price was $290,000.  Two years ago, I thought I'd have to beg someone to give $290,000 for our house.  I'd ask double that now.

There is a guy building a new house in our neighborhood.  I know his dad and saw him over there one day.  He said he had built 4 houses like the one his son is building.  According to him, the 2019 price for the lumber package was $11,000.  It is now $32,000.

Edited by Kevin

Posted (edited)

And we're just talking lumber.   The electrician that I'm trying to trade labor with said wire has skyrocketed.  One of the two carpenters I've hired has started his own business and is booked about 2 months out and wanting to hire his second helper. 

Free money has made people :baller::baller:

So figure out how to beat the inflation that we're seeing develop.  What's the best way to ride the wave?

Edited by Ashley P

I've found it is hard to get someone to work when you have small remodeling jobs.  Those guys are too busy building houses and other bigger jobs.  I am hoping the prices will come down in a couple years when I'm ready to buy investment property.

JohnC likes this

I'm in Clarksville where houses are generally lower than surrounding counties. We had our place appraised for pmi reasons and after only ONE year, it went up almost 150k more than I paid to build it. So if we sold, I would expect someone to pay at min 20k more than that

JohnC likes this