Kpate

New scoot for me (not Harley)

93 posts in this topic

I've actually had good success so far with the standard tire spoons removing and installing the tires. Just have to learn not to puncture tubes when I install.... :ranting:  :ranting:  :ranting:

OK, mid-riding season and at 8200 miles.......

Weather has been nice and some good rides are happening. Had a chance to ride with a vintage bike group one weekend. Left Fort Houston, to Liepers Fork, and back into the 12South location. Not a bad ride, fun group, and fun times. However, I was starting to notice some handlebar shake at 50-55 mph while riding. At the final stop I checked for anything that was loose on the front end. Steering head bearings felt good and tight. No loose hardware on the forks. Then I get to the front tire. I was on the wear bars. FML...

Got home and jumped on Bike Bandit to see what selection they had. Went with a set of Shinko 712 tires for the bike. 100/90-19 front, 130/90-17 rear. That and a pair of tubes $132 out the door...

IMG_20150616_190115_375_zpsueywpza6.jpg

The fun part: mounting these up. The last time I had tires mounted and balanced it cost nearly $80. If I'm having to do this every 8000 miles, that adds up quick. Went and bought some tire spoons, watched a few videos, asked questions, and started doing it.

Playing Jackstand Racer....

IMG_20150619_184045_824_zpsisifuppa.jpg

Old tires came off the rim with no problem despite what people told me about the Metzler tires. To put the new tires on I moved inside the house to a better work environment (and air conditioning) to install the new tires. Tire spoons, some glass cleaner (for the tire bead), milk crate, and yes that is my coffee table the ex left behind. It makes a good work bench....

IMG_20150624_135852_220_zpssflhkym3.jpg

Balanced them up and it only required a half ounce of weight to get right. I still have the rear tire to do (that will be tonight) and then I'll see how these tires work on the bike and if I will get another set later on...

pic 1 - sweet looking tread on them! :up:

pic 3 - working in the living room = a man that lives alone :lol:

JohnC, higherpowerracing and Kpate like this

Been riding it to work and about to scrub in these tires. Wow. Huge arse difference over the stock Metzlers. Can actually lean the bike over more in the corners without having the feel that the tires are gonna lose grip past a point. 96 From Arrington to Franklin has been chewed up for future paving (thanks TDOT/ Obama/ any other slapnuts involved). With the old tires, they would follow every groove in the pavement. These still do with the open center groove on the tread, but not as bad. I did check my tire balancing skills with a trip to Messico for ton up speeds and were smooth considering only .25 ounces was needed up front and just .50 ounces for the rear. Now to work on some other things....... :evild:

JohnC likes this

Pate, I was driving back from Cookeville today and see a whole bunch of old Harley's and a few other bikes. Was there some kind of show or ride in town?

Kpate likes this

Distinguished Gentleman's Ride was today.

This. If you were in downtown and saw a bunch of folks riding around dressed up on suits that was us. Started at Barista Parlor in east Nashville and made a stop at Springwater and at Pinewood. Party ended at Twin Kegs 2 and back to the house. I have photos of the ride on my Facebook page (read: how to cause a traffic clusterfook in downtown) and a few photos that I think shocked everyone as well (no overalls; wonder how many women broke out the vibrators after seeing it :2fingers:  :ohsnap:  :sex:

Yeah, I seen the FB pics. That looked like a cool ride. :up:

Yes it was. Done at the same time for the past 4 years to raise awareness and money for Prostate Cancer research. It's fun to get a wide variety of people and bikes together to ride in this (though some need to get some maintenance done beforehand, especially carburated ones :ew: )

And they let Kpate ride with them??  :panic:

Yes, and I ride with a lot of these folks every Thursday night as well hitting the crudiest dives in Nashville :cheers:  :dirty:  :nana:

Yes it was. Done at the same time for the past 4 years to raise awareness and money for Prostate Cancer research. It's fun to get a wide variety of people and bikes together to ride in this (though some need to get some maintenance done beforehand, especially carburated ones :ew: )

Yes, and I ride with a lot of these folks every Thursday night as well hitting the crudiest dives in Nashville :cheers:  :dirty:  :nana:

So you rode to "save penises"? :lol:

I'll ride to save the bewbies! :yum:

mstrpth likes this

So you rode to "save penises"? :lol:

I'll ride to save the bewbies! :yum:

Considering you need your penis to knock the bottom out of a hot (or semi-hot) woman when the urge arises, you can say that. Unless the person is one of those that like the thumb in the butt.... :ghey:

But in all seriousness it's one of those cancers that can sneak up on you and not realize it that could lead to other parts of your body contracting it when it spreads (bladder, testicles, possibly colo-rectal system; we need those on a daily basis). Plus it only happens in men so it isn't as large as lung or skin cancer where it crosses both men and women. 

BTW, it eclipsed the 11,000 mile mark on this ride..... :w00t:

Edited by Kpate
JohnC likes this

Closing in on that 12,000 mile mark now. Time for some more of the service items.....and mods :evild:

When I was servicing other parts of the bike I did inspections on the brakes, wheels, and chain and found them to be fine. Figured I'd check the air filter; it appeared okay, but I noticed the end of the filter was extremely dirty and not the rest of it. After looking at the airbox I realized the snorkel was going 3/4 of the way in the filter and causing the entire filter not to be utilized. It's not a factory defect or design flaw, they did it this way to restrict intake noise :shake: Went ahead and placed an order with Bella Corse for a new air filter, along with the OBD cable and a set of lower handlebars to get more comfortable while riding long distances.

B3F0922F-0595-4440-940B-4D9EE6771BF5_zps

The filter is a UNI foam filter that is a simple drop in. I figured since I'm going to do this the snorkel that fits in to the inlet will go bye bye. I also read up about a resonator inside the airbox that was as much as a restriction as the snorkel. Out came the tools and the resonator was history ( and a PITA to remove). 

Went a head and changed the bars on this to a set of Bella Corse Superbars. They set like the flat track bars used in oval racing and gives my shoulder a different angle on the grip. Top bar is the factory one and bottom bar is the Superbars.

459AF6A1-C2E2-42D4-8644-76E8CAA6FDE0_zps

Now I've read that several people in the past had issues with fitting these on the bike and it causing an issue with throttle binding. I didn't have this issue due to the location on how I wanted the bars. Added the new grips and got rid of my lollipop mirrors that all I see is shoulders and not the vehicle behind me no matter what position I put them in.

Before

96AA359B-DABF-4A21-A946-79A980300E40_zps

After (with one mirror; got the other one on after some creative engineering)

8ACB0754-2FA4-4D4C-878E-1C2B9DE5DEFF_zps

I took the bike out after doing all of this and the bars are comfortable for longer riding and it pulls harder through the mid-range now than before (more air getting into the engine). After pulling the airbox resonator and snorkel, it is much louder than before. I haven't heard any spark knock due to running 93 octane in it for now. Just as a pre-caution to make sure I'm giving this engine enough fuel I ordered a OBD cable and downloaded TuneECU on to the laptop to put in a different map to the ECU. I dropped in the Arrows 2:2 map due to it giving it a good amount of fuel and not being lean. After a tank of fuel I'll pull the spark plugs and look at them to see if I'm as rich as I think it'll be.