Kpate

New scoot for me (not Harley)

93 posts in this topic

Just sayin Pate...a Black or Blue ST might make your driveway complete again!  Shoot, Im knockin down stupid good mileage in the warmer weather in mine, get some fun back in your daily ride without sacrificing efficiency!  Then do like above and toss a bigger hairdryer on it and have some fun.  On that note, there are guys tossing quite a bit of time and money on "big" turbos (I cant call em big, I prefer bigger lol as they are still tiny) and only making 300whp.  Guys one 4 gallons of E85 per tank tunes are making the same power.  When someone cracks the high pressure fuel pump and bigger injectors are more readily available tho...watch out.  Once company is pushing 400+ already but being pretty quiet about it.  ANYways, back to your bikes, sorry for the derail!

Matt

JohnC likes this

Just sayin Pate...a Black or Blue ST might make your driveway complete again!  Shoot, Im knockin down stupid good mileage in the warmer weather in mine, get some fun back in your daily ride without sacrificing efficiency!  Then do like above and toss a bigger hairdryer on it and have some fun.  On that note, there are guys tossing quite a bit of time and money on "big" turbos (I cant call em big, I prefer bigger lol as they are still tiny) and only making 300whp.  Guys one 4 gallons of E85 per tank tunes are making the same power.  When someone cracks the high pressure fuel pump and bigger injectors are more readily available tho...watch out.  Once company is pushing 400+ already but being pretty quiet about it.  ANYways, back to your bikes, sorry for the derail!

Matt

No offense taken Matt, get what you are saying now that you've got the econo hot rod bug :evild:  Who woulda thought 400+hp and 30 mpg would go hand in hand 10 yrs ago. Not me. Still contemplating it but also trying to look at a much larger picture nowadays and not go full retard financially again on vehicles. :doh:

Done the first service last night on the bike (500 mile service) with help from the shop kittah....

IMG_20140507_181354_334_zpsyhp1ls8b.jpg

And what Triumph recommends: Castrol Synthetic 10W-40. The OEM filters are total junk so I went with a tried and true standby: Purolator L14612 (hint: this filter is what they call for on the Honda shadow 750s and a substitute for Dee's Nissan truck w/ a 4.0 V6  :huh: )

IMG_20140505_191511_987_zpsyjbbfdgx.jpg

Edited by Kpate
JohnC likes this

Forgot to mention the oil change was stupid easy on this bike: no dipstick to read! The block has of all things a sight glass with two marks cast in the side of the engine case that read full and add. A 13mm socket and ratchet along with a cap wrench for the filter is all that is needed (both are in the open and easily seen). While I was at it I adjusted the chain on it since it seemed a tad loose. Read up in the owner's manual and using a tape measure showed I was on the cusp of being too loose, so I adjusted it back in about midway (.75" deflection). Ordered some additional goodies for it last night to add some driver comfort to it for when July 4th week comes around :winkgrin: Road trip????

Awesome!

And I love the shop kittah! :love:

So you have decided you like this bike more than the Harley?

No matter how much I try to like the Harleys, for some reason I come back to this one. Granted, I have a variety in the garage (Sportster, Dyna Street Bob and a Honda Shadow 750) and I've test rode some others, but I keep going back to Triumph. Yes, Harleys are on every street in America, however, to make the bike fit you comfortably, a person will have to spend nearly $300-500 for a good seat and possibly handlebars to be comfortable for a long run on them. The Honda, only thing it needs a good seat (Mustang solo) and something that the factory needs to step up on: power. Even though this is a cruiser bike with weight (580lbs) the 750cc is super reliable, 38 hp in the 750 market now is laughable considering 50-60 hp from other two cylinder bikes is obtainable in this market. I took a practice run down 231 at 65-70 just to see how well the bike could maintain that speed and it was straining to keep it up, especially over a nearly 30 mile stretch. Would I want to do a long run, say from Murfreesboro to Sparta at that speed with this bike knowing that I'm pushing this engine? Probably not. The Street Bob is just flat uncomfortable in OEM form. Poor seating posistion, bars that don't give too good of turning leverage. This is one where money would have to be spent to be comfortable on a long run on seat, bars, and possibly forward controls to give some legroom. However, it is made for open roads and can run interstate speeds easily stock at the expense of 35-45 mpg. For carrying luggage, only two decent options are to buy the H-D saddlebag rack and the over the fender luggage rack ($$$).

I did have a chance to ride the new Street 500 that is being pushed by Harley the other day. Shrunk down V-rod with potential, but some parts of the fit and finish look to be afterthoughts :down: Exposed zip ties holding the wire harness to the frame, horn stuck out in the air on a mickey mouse bracket, and the bar swtiches look like they are from a Chinese scooter. Even though they are going into the entry level market, they had to shortcut it to make that price point IMO.  :my2c:

I've never rode a Harley, only sat on the at the dealer. Really had no idea they sucked that bad in comfort!

Maybe you should sale of the HD and Honda and just enjoy the Triumph. :yes:

Then you could use the cash to get started on a Coyote swapped 87-93 or 96-04 Mustang. :dunno:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kpate likes this

Went and made the first "comfort mod" for the bike this week. Was getting tired of having a chestful of air push against me while riding beyond 60 mph (and more), but didn't want a big honkin windscreen like on Dee's bikes. did some research over on TriumphRAT and decided on a spitfire windscreen. Was only $95 (compared to $350 for the Triumph part) so it was worth a try.

IMG_20140512_171426_827_zpsh8hhn9kx.jpg

Took only 15 minutes to install on the bike (wanted a good solid mount for no shake) and the test run proved it made a big difference. No turbulence around my chest at higher speeds and it moved the air up and over my helmet with no buffeting. Also picked up a Saddlemen 30L bag since they were on sale:

IMG_20140512_164012_733_zpsjdlrken9.jpg

You're wondering about the bag. Well, as I told Matt Sunday when he came over to the house, here is why I bought it. July 4th week I'm planning a trip to Myrtle Beach riding the Triumph. Right now, it looks like a 6 day/ 1300 mile trip barring I don't take a lot of detours along the way :dunno:  :yes: I don't plan on making a banzai run from the 'boro to the beach in one day; that would be retarded. Day 1 will be from here to my family's place outside of Maryville and then day 2 will be from there to Myrtle Beach for a few nights. After that stops in Darlington, Maggie Valley, GSMNP, back to Maryville, and then back home. No interstates is the rule. Plus there will be a thread posted up after the trip with photos of the adventure.

JohnC likes this

BTW Pate, ever think about getting a dirt or trail bike? :hyper:

I have thought about later on getting an ADV bike for longer rides since I'm not too keen on cruisers. Been looking pretty close at the Triumph Tiger  for that since it and the BMW GS are the two best bikes out there. 

JohnC likes this

Alright, road trip is six weeks away and been doing some experimenting and getting a few things put together for this.......

Since I don't have a cushy bike with a radio, heated/ cooled provisions, cupholders, butt massager, etc., I have to improvise and make a few things. Main most thing is a cell phone charger. Being on the road and checking where I am/ where I'm going in relation to the paper map (and checking messages) will drain it down some. Walked into some bike accesory stores and founf a plug in 12V cig lighter for $10-15, but the leads are too short and it needs a permanent mount. I put a charging pigtail already on the bike (plug in a trickle charger for the winter on all the bikes) and thought of tapping into that for my power source. Went and bought an extra pigtail and a USB outlet car charger at Radio Shack for $5. Had a fuse holder laying around and made this handy cell phone charger to run to my tank bag and charge the phone.

IMG_20140517_171202_047_zpslt9bmbig.jpg

Another thing I am putting together is a tool kit to do adjustments while on the road (hopefully, that is all I need it for). Already added a 19mm, 24mm, and a 8mm combination wrench for the chain adjustment (and tire removals just in case of flats) and a 10mm wrench for the battery terminals. I also picked up a miniature tire pump that I found for $10 at Wal-Mart the other night that is small enough to store in either bag. I may add more tools as I think out the "what if" scenarios so I can make it to a location to make repairs if necessary. 

Ok, just realized this thread has been dormant and is in need of an update considering I just done the 6,000 mile service on this bike. So here is an update:

The bike has been flawless. Fuel mileage has improved to be near the 55-57 mpg range and the engine seems to have gotten stronger with the break in mileage in the rear view. The suspension is still the weak point on this bike and after further research, it looks like a rear shock change and thicker fork oil will solve this issue without a major teardown of the front. The rear has squared off some and will be due to be replaced in about 2-3k miles. Right now researching a good sticky tire that has good wear (changing both front and rear at the same time). The only mod done to the bike at this time was deleting the air injection (emission) system. It cleans up the engine some and gains access to the plugs when it comes time to change it. 

Now to look at some other things to make this bike actually a distance cruiser/ canyon carver..... :evild:

JohnC likes this

Nice review! :up:

So it looks like these are solid reliable bikes! :yes:

Are you doing all the suspension work yourself, or sending them off?

I recall from my dirt bike days that the suspension on motorcycles con be a bit complicated.

Doing it in house John. Going to buy a set of Hagon rear shocks and just do a simple oil replacement in the forks to try and slow down the spring dampening/ bouncing on rough surfaces. I think this will solve it. 

These bikes are pretty much bulletproof from what I've learned and talked to other Bonnie riders. Most only do simple maintenance and ride them like a rental. I haven't done anything major to mine in the past two services other than a chain adjustment at 500 miles and that's it. I know the 12k service is going to be more involved due to that is when valve adjustments are due, but most Bonnie owners haven't had to do any valve adjustments until 24k or even 30k on the engines (gonna check mine irregardless). 

JohnC likes this