Kpate

New scoot for me (not Harley)

93 posts in this topic

:evild:  :evild:  :evild:  :evild:

IMG_20140326_171250_556_zpsjkbxbmbt.jpg

2013 Triumph Bonneville T100. 865cc parallel twin engine, 5 speed. Got this as kind of a surprise from the wife since she hated seeing me work on trying to fix the Harley and gripe about trying to find parts for the "R" series sportsters. Rode this from Castle up in Rivergate all the way back to the 'boro this past Saturday in traffic :eeek:  :eeek: Here's my impromptu review of this bike:

Engine: Very smooth and quiet, almost too quiet. On startup, it emits its own unique tone unlike anything else out there. Not for sure if it's because of the "pea shooter" mufflers that the T100 comes with or the engine itself, but it has a very wide power curve to say the least. Stop and go traffic was effortless and the times I was on the open road putting along at 45-50, it never strained. I did get on it on Murfreesboro Road between Smyrna and the 'boro and it has the cajones to do the ton at the flip of the wrist :stare:  :cop: 

Suspension: Probably the weakest point on the bike, but not a major one. The front feels soft while the back feels harsh (I haven't adjusted anything yet, bike still in "as-showroom settings") on semi-rough roads. Smooth roads are not a problem and the bike is light and nimble enough to flick in and out of corners without getting off and on the throttle. If I had to change it up I would add the Thruxton suspension to it and possibly some Progressive shocks to the rear.

Comfort: Good. Bars are ergonomically correct and the seat gives you a good seating position for riding. Granted this isn't a Goldwing or a distance cruiser, but with an aftermarket memory foam or gel seat, it could be an all day rider with minimal fuss. 

Appearance: no words here. Doesn't look like anything else out there American or Japanese. Throws back to the early Bonnies from the 50s and 60s. Appearance changes to it are just a click away from the aftermarket, but who would want to change anything like this???? :D

Summary: Good bike, very good price (paid $9k out the door for a leftover '13), could use a smidge refinement.

Now you're asking what about the Sportster. I'm still going to work on it and make it something unlike anything else out there. Will use it for some hooligan **** when I don't want to ride the Triumph.

JohnC likes this

Thanks Matt. rode it to Old Chicago last night to meet Dee for dinner. Had a bunch of hipsters watch me pull in and come walking over to look at it.  :huh: After talking to them I found out this bike is going to put me back at the same status when I had the miata... :shake:  :ghey:  :ghey:  :ghey:

:lol: hipster at heart

very nice! I've been taking a second look at some HD's. I come from many years on a crotch rocket so hard to make the jump.. i do like the HD softtail slim after it's blacked out

Kpate likes this

I really like the looks of that bike, Pate!

Takes me back to images of the Brit rock-n-roll biker crowed of the past you'd once in a while see in videos. :yes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kpate likes this

:lol: hipster at heart

very nice! I've been taking a second look at some HD's. I come from many years on a crotch rocket so hard to make the jump.. i do like the HD softtail slim after it's blacked out

It's Hick-ster homey....I wear overalls :2fingers:  :2fingers:

I rode Dee's Street Bob home when she got it and I was like "meh". I did test drive a softtail slim and the seating position and ride was uncomfortable to me. Probably because they have these bikes low slung to the ground trying to give it a "bobber" feel. I looked at a Triumph America and Thunderbird while all the paperwork was being done and they were more comfortable than the Harley IMO. 

I really like the looks of that bike, Pate!

Takes me back to images of the Brit rock-n-roll biker crowed of the past you'd once in a while see in videos. :yes:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

seen alot of those videos while searching and doing homework on this bike for servicing. Just don't expect me to wear a scarf while riding this... :2fingers:

JohnC likes this

Thanks Matt. rode it to Old Chicago last night to meet Dee for dinner. Had a bunch of hipsters watch me pull in and come walking over to look at it.  :huh: After talking to them I found out this bike is going to put me back at the same status when I had the miata... :shake:  :ghey:  :ghey:  :ghey:

At least you already have the wave down pat!!!

Matt

Kpate likes this

Love the new scooter. Rides good handles good. I've been tracking a problem with the rear tire losing air (roughly 3-4 lbs/ day) and thinking I may have a pinhole in the tube somewhere (don't see any punctures in the tire anywhere :shrug: ). Going to have to call the dealer and have them take a look at it (trailer it back) since I haven't cracked the 100 mile mark on it yet :meh: Plus I have the others to run if it needs to stay overnight.

Also found this website for some added goodies down the road :evild:

http://www.british-customs.com

Edited by Kpate
JohnC likes this

Love the new scooter. Rides good handles good. I've been tracking a problem with the rear tire losing air (roughly 3-4 lbs/ day) and thinking I may have a pinhole in the tube somewhere (don't see any punctures in the tire anywhere :shrug: ). Going to have to call the dealer and have them take a look at it (trailer it back) since I haven't cracked the 100 mile mark on it yet :meh: Plus I have the others to run if it needs to stay overnight.

Also found this website for some added goodies down the road :evild:

http://www.british-customs.com

Umm, I think you found your look!

http://www.british-customs.com/modern-classics/

Kpate likes this

Umm, I think you found your look!

http://www.british-customs.com/modern-classics/

Yes, I have looked at all of them over and over until my eyeballs hurt. I want to keep this bike as utilitarian as possible and not go out in left field like I'm doing for the Harley. I have looked at this seat as a possible replacement to carry anything if I'm riding:

http://www.british-customs.com/triumph-scrambler-single-seat-rack.html

The performance mods would be nice, but right now stock, this engine is putting out close to what a 1200CC Harley Sportster does without straining hard. I may do some off-road slip ons in the future since they put the cats in the mufflers now (**** the EPA) and it would be one less thing to go worng down the line. Fixed my tube issue last night (bad schrader valve; gotta love the old spit test) so now I can rack up some miles this weekend.. :3gears:  :hyper:  :hyper:

JohnC likes this

Got a lot of riding in on this bike over the weekend :3gears:  :w00t:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Got the call that my tags had arrived and rode it from the 'boro back up to Castle to get my plates. Had a chance to get it on Briley Parkway and see if it would keep up with traffic at 60-65 mph and it has no issues doing it. Installed my new plates and aimed for the hipster pockets in downtown Nash-hell to grab some grubbage (good food and decent prices) and yes, I got mobbed by the hipsters :shake:  :shake: . Got home and done the routine inspection and did a wipe down and applied a thin coat of chain lube to it (still learning on this and not trying to overdo it). 

Went on a LONG ride Sunday morning to Triune, down to Chapel Hill (which saw a few moments at "the Ton"), Into Columbia, picked up the Trace, back to Franklin, and then back home. For as small and light as the bike is, it is that comfortable and easy on gas. So far I'm logging 167 miles on 3.5 gallons when I filled up (~47.7 mpg) and possibly seeing it get up to 50-55 mpg after the sproket change on the transmission side (wanting to lower cruising RPM at 55-60 mph). 

Edited by Kpate
JohnC likes this

Yes I am :D Which has me pondering the future of the Harley now and if it would be wise to send it to a new home and use the $$$ from selling it to add some stuff to the Triumph for distance riding :meh:  :meh:  :meh: Plus Dee says that as much as I'm having to go through it and fix things and rework it from the wreck, she's starting to think it has bad juju on it now... :smirk:  :smirk:

Get it back together and I bet you'll fall back in love! :yes:

Starting to think it's time to go bobber with it now the Bonnie is the subtle bike......time to break out the sawzall and welder......again...

JohnC likes this

Sell one and toss the cash in the one you like most!!!  Or...I saw a couple STs chillin out at the dealership this morning, just sayin!

Matt

:huh:  :huh:  :huh:  You hint'n at sumthin???? :winkgrin:

JohnC likes this