aminga

1986 Buick T Type 2014 Updates - 86 Buick Turbo

Rate this topic:

121 posts in this topic

I've been sitting here trying fo figure it out.  And like an engineer I do this with a spreadsheet.

Previously (at a different track) it went 7.075 on a 1.57 60ft.  Improving the to 1.50 should have put it over the top.  Looks like it slowed down 0.013 after the 60. You

As an engineer you've gone as far as you can, your math is correct and your logical assumption is valid.  However, a seasoned mechanic and amateur racer will tell you that when approaching a desired ET at the dragstrip, logic and science will go out the window!  I think it has something to do with Murphy's law becoming more pronounced with the intensity of the desired outcome...good subject for a doctoral thesis.

...doctoral thesis.

I think he has already done that.  Typical Alabama redneck with a PHD, can't swing a dead cat and not hit one around Huntsville.

Did you start with a mechanical engineering undergrad degree? I've learned you don't make Rocket Scientist jokes in Huntsville, the probability is too high around there.

Component Mode Reduction for Multibody Space Structures Using Load Dependent Ritz Vectors

Must be French because I can't even understand it.

Did you start with a mechanical engineering undergrad degree? I've learned you don't make Rocket Scientist jokes in Huntsville, the probability is too high around there.

Must be French because I can't even understand it.

Aerospace Engineering actually BS in 87, MS in 89, Ph. D in 95.  Trying to get a job in AE in 92 was a ugly business.  I wanted to work at an Aircraft MFG but I was overqualified for that.  I didn't want a universty job but even those were overwhelming.  U of A opened one tenure track position and got 150 applicants.

Some of the research I was doing made me the largest user of Alabama's state owned Cray and the management of the facility was changing hands from Boeing Computer Services to Nichols Research and the campus site analyst didn't want to work for Nichols so I fell back on secondary skills.  I've managed to make a 20 year career out of that. 

Aerospace Engineering actually BS in 87, MS in 89, Ph. D in 95.  Trying to get a job in AE in 92 was a ugly business.  I wanted to work at an Aircraft MFG but I was overqualified for that.  I didn't want a universty job but even those were overwhelming.  U of A opened one tenure track position and got 150 applicants.

Some of the research I was doing made me the largest user of Alabama's state owned Cray and the management of the facility was changing hands from Boeing Computer Services to Nichols Research and the campus site analyst didn't want to work for Nichols so I fell back on secondary skills.  I've managed to make a 20 year career out of that.

How did you endure so much college? :stare:

How did you endure so much college? :stare:

I was young and didn't know any better.

Actually My undergraduate work impressed one of the structures profs and he just kept encouraging me.  At the time we did this U of A didn't have an official Aerospace engineering Ph. D.  We made one up and pushed it through as an "Inter Disiplinary Engineering Doctorate"

Edited by aminga
JohnC likes this

Like Alan said, it depends on the quality, but imo it's all better than rubber vacuum line for boosted cars.  You can also pick from multiple materials for the line depending on whether you want chemical resistance, heat tolerant etc.  I use it for everything on mine as well.  I use Legris brand fittings and random line that I buy from McMaster Carr.

Just to follow up on this the push locks I had on before were from Fastenal and a few of them had been on the car for 2+ years.  THose closest to the engine had started to loosen up.  The ones not near the heat were fine but the on one the FPR and manifold had started to loos their grip on the hose it didn't blow off under boost but it could be pulled loose with a hard tug.  It was the fastener and not the line.  I've gone with the ones mike used so we will see.

JohnC likes this

Wife said all the ricer kids were ho hum until that then the whipped out the cell phone cam's.

It was a little fat.  Fuel was tuned for 28 psi and it only hit 23.

JohnC likes this

So I figured I had better update this SInce she was awoken from her winter slumber

1) The original OEM power antenna cable finally gave up after  29.6 years. Cable broke.  It's a cheap fix but I'm not looking forward to it

2) Powemaster is running a long time after brake applications.  This one has had 3 reservoirs and been rebuilt once.  Just in case I bought a used 84 Hydroboost booster from someone who was letting it go.

3)  Alky pump didn't produce any pressure when I tested it.  I guess 4 years submersed in a corrosive fluid just got the best of it.  New one is in the garage.

4)  Apparently 10W30 VR1 doesn't exist.  The only thing they have at the Huntsville parts stores is equivalent to Syrup

JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

Any performance upgrades planned?

Not that it needs any at the power level you're at, but the more, better, faster in me is always there.... :love: