aminga

1986 Buick T Type 2014 Updates - 86 Buick Turbo

Rate this topic:

121 posts in this topic

Aminga can answer more in depth, but as I understand it the newest version of the chip/software is speed density.  It is as adjustable as a FAST XFI / Holley / BS3 package.  The end user can do his own tuning.  Makes my FAST system look really overpriced.

aminga likes this

Not as cheap as a distributor and carb where you just turn things to make your adjustments...and you just remember how it runs instead of "data logging".  Ah...the good ol days...

Thanks for the info.  I'm getting way too far out of the loop on management options.

Aminga can answer more in depth, but as I understand it the newest version of the chip/software is speed density.  It is as adjustable as a FAST XFI / Holley / BS3 package.  The end user can do his own tuning.  Makes my FAST system look really overpriced.

The SD2 chip is a modern miracle.  Because remember the ECM is still the equivalent of a pocket calculator.  It has the same VE table structure as a fast and is just as tunable.

I still run an older TT 6.1 Chip.  It's basically a stock program with enhancements for alky.

I can set Gear 1/2 Timing and AFR 3/4 Timing and AFR.  And base fuel for the gears to keep the correction on track.

JohnC likes this

We're fortunate in the TR community to have Bob Bailey (Bailey Engineering) who has done all these things for us.

ISAC, Scanmaster, Powerlogger, the bailey engineering 2 step, the Mass sensor translator, both basic, advanced and pro.

His latest is a new Igniton module with built in rev limiter and 2 step.  Supports both Coil on plug and waste spark ignition coils.  Mine is supposed to be in the next batch so 2 step launches for me :3gears:

Edited by aminga
JohnC likes this

The cost of these tuning options is one of the reasons I sold my GN. I had about 600 invested in tuning crap, and it was going to need another 6-800 to have everything I needed. I should have just kept it and put Megasquirt on it. Oh well.. I'll do the next one.

Nice work on your TR, aminga!!

Not as cheap as a distributor and carb where you just turn things to make your adjustments...and you just remember how it runs instead of "data logging".  Ah...the good ol days...

Thanks for the info.  I'm getting way too far out of the loop on management options.

Im in the middle of that and its slow going seein that I am starting from scratch knowledge wise.  Finally getting the idea of it all and workin on each system individually as I go.  Datalogging consists of me checking out the wideband and writing on my arm then transfering it to paper when I get back to the garage...might have to post some pics of my "logs" one day LOL.  

Matt

JohnC likes this

We have a track not far from the House here (30 minutes) called Baileyton Good Times dragstrip.  And in the past it has been horrible mostly because of the prep. But last year they repaved the strip and did it all in concrete, Put in a drive through burnout box and wall to keep the dirt off the track.  We went in the end of july it was  better but the prep was still lacking for radial cars

This resulted in this little pedalfest.

>http://youtu.be/3A1-X4iL_dw

**** thing ran 90mph and I was off the throttle for a full second.

I was able to just kill the burnout and get the car to run a 1.8 60ft

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zwhjCmDmyc&list=UUZQSCHjKyIgpjrFy16j5g6Q

Car was running 2-3 MPH faster on less boost

There was some oneline discussions about the track and the prep and the net of it was they switched compounds and got one of VP's guys to come help them prep the track.  For T&T night the started keeping the street tire cars out of the right lane.  So friday night we hit it up again with a bunch of Turbo radial cars to help them dial in the track prep.

Last night I equaled my best time 7.26 60ft was within 0.03 of my best.  At the end of the night I had got 5 more MPH out of here 97 in the 1/8th.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_7IkWM7CAc&index=1&list=UUZQSCHjKyIgpjrFy16j5g6Q

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWVRmMZQxa4&list=UUl75UXDqxfI7YavDhNATdHQ

Edited by aminga

That fist run looked scary! :fear:

But the rest look great! Congrats! :3gears:

And it's nice to see a track actually trying to keep the track sticky. Ever since he economy slowed, I noticed some tracks I visited on slow nights didn't put much if anything in to prep. 

Last year they had a crash and a kid got killed.  Nothing to do with the track at all but they took that as a chance to go back and redo the track it's concrete from the starting to the finish line now.  In June they went back and redid the burnout box.  Before you had to back up into the burnout box and some backed off the pavement and drug mud back up on the track. 

The track was good but they just didn't know how to prep it for radial cars. 

That changed friday night.  it was good.

Stock crank and bottom end is limited to about 600HP

Sorry, I forget if you've beef'd up your bottom end....

But is that on the stock block, crank and rods?

If so, that's darn good. Especially for cars coming out of the 80's like these G-Body cars! :up:

I haven't  Bottom end is stock buick, Stock rods, stock crank,

Forged  pistons

Ported Stock Heads

Moderatly larger cam 206 intake 210 exhaust on a 110" lob center

1.65 Ratio Roller rockers (stock was 1.5)

7.41 @ 97.33

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAG8sV7_k_w

7.37 @ 96.7 carrying a passenger

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdaefqRC9yg

For the Buick n00b here, is this just to fix a weak ignition under high boost, or just to update to something more modern and controllable in hopes of making more gains?

The supply of GM NOS ignition modules and coil are drying up and the Aftermarket modules are hit and miss (most won't drive the Tach) most aftermarket coil packs never have the dwell of the original magnavox coils.  This is a switch to a microprocessor drive ignition module that's updatable (It has a USB port to load new firmware) and can use an Off the shelf hotter coil.  I could even go to an individual coil per cylinder if I chose. 

It has a built in Rev limiter and 2 step and a few more diagnstics that before.

And it's servicable.

Think of it as a MSD 6 or 7al for a buick.

JohnC likes this