Raceall

Kind of an expensive Christmas Present

66 posts in this topic

I kind of suckered myself into going to the truck lot to check out a year-end sale.  The wife and I had gone to look at this one, Thursday night and last night, after hours, and we stopped by to actually talk to them, today.  Aaaaannnndddd, we ended up leaving with it.  It was kind of an odd request, but I talked them into letting me keep my Terra Grapplers, so I'll get some pictures of it with my toolbox on it and with the tires on it, later in the week.  There is a huge difference between the 2007-2013 trucks and the 2014 trucks.  It's like night and day.

post-73-0-52558500-1388291257.jpg

I'm stuck on the 5.3.  The 14s don't have as many engine options.  You can get the 4.3 V6, the 5.3, or the 6.2.  The 4.3 puts out about 285 hp, the 5.3 puts out 355, and the 6.2 puts out 420.  My biggest concern about the truck is that it is the first year of the new LT engines.  And, it holds 9 quarts of synthetic.  It's a good thing they give you 2 years of free oil changes.  This is, by far, the nicest riding and quietest truck, maybe even overall vehicle, I've driven.

mstrpth: I thought the same thing when they first released photos. 

In the days of not being able to see the ground under the engine compartment, because of all the junk they try to cram in, I was pretty suprised with how much room there is under the hood.  I've also been really surprised with how quiet it is. You really can't hear it running when you are sitting inside the cab.

Matt:  Thanks, bud.  It was kind of a spur of the moment thing.  We decided that there would be no harm in going to talk to them about it.  Apparently, there can be harm; rather expensive harm. lol

Don't worry.  I was talking to Dad, tonight, and my plan is to spend the day, Friday, putting it in the garage, cleaning it up and giving it a good coat of wax.  I will get pictures, then.

JohnC likes this

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm having my mid-life crisis a tad early.

i think that only applies to new gym memberships, spray-on tans, and convertibles

The last two body styles took a little time to grow on me, but I liked these from the get-go, when they released pictures.  The dealership came to work to pick up the new truck to go ahead and put the bedliner in and my tires on, early.  Apparently, they already sold my blue truck.  The new one isn't quite as quiet, and the ride is a bit stiffer with the Nitto Terra Grapplers, but I expected that.  The tires do look good on the truck, though.  Pics are still forthcoming.

Tomorrow, it's supposed to rain and snow, but I think it's supposed to be fairly nice, Friday.  So, I'm planning on getting her cleaned up, then, and get some pictures.

Good looking truck Jeff :up: is the 5.3 in these still the LS-based engine? Haven't had a chance to look at one of these up close since we got the Frontier a few months back.

Good looking truck Jeff :up: is the 5.3 in these still the LS-based engine? Haven't had a chance to look at one of these up close since we got the Frontier a few months back.

No, the 14's have the new LT engines.  That makes me a tad nervous.  I generally wouldn't buy a ride with a new engine, right out of the gate.  I normally prefer to give it some time to see how they are going to do.

I've got a little Christmas money and thinking about putting a 2.5-3.5" lift under the new truck.  I worry, though, that it might make my wheels and tires look a little small.  I'm running 285/60-18s on the factory wheels.  Thoughts?

I've got a little Christmas money and thinking about putting a 2.5-3.5" lift under the new truck.  I worry, though, that it might make my wheels and tires look a little small.  I'm running 285/60-18s on the factory wheels.  Thoughts?

Not sure on how that size will look (maybe google for images of similar setup), but a lift would be hotness! :yum:

I'll have to find some pics.  I need to take some pics of the truck.  As much as I like them, the newer Chevy 4wds sit too low, in my opinion.  There's really no difference in ride height and clearance than the 2wd trucks.  I'd just like to have a little more clearance.  It doesn't take a whole lot to scrape the plastic air dam on the front.