66sprint6

NewestER DD 2012 GT500

699 posts in this topic

For what reason, NVH concerns?   If so, I'd rather it be rough and violent as long as it shifted exactly how I wanted it to when I pulled or pushed the stick.

NVH Im sure.  Ive always been used to a "toploader" style shifter and it never really bothered me.  The GT's handle seemed to be much much harsher in terms of vibration and noise when I put the bracket in the divorce it from the floor.  If you left your hand on it long enough it would continue to buzz for a couple minutes after getting out of the car :lol:.  The company that sold the bracket did include a rubber oring that helped keep the noise to a minimum tho which worked pretty decent.  The Pro 5.0 with Hurst handle and cue-ball doesnt have the same vibrations at all, it feels great.

Either way Im hoping to be able to report back with the same results consistently but only way to find out is to keep on flogging it at the track and see what happens!

Matt

When I was young, the local Ford guru told me his trans/shifter ideas.  First, make the linkage as straight as possible.  Second, bolt it all together.  Third, make the car fit around it. lol

Cruddy weather postponed some plans we had Sat so we loaded up the Wagon and headed to to Chattanooga to look at some fishies!

IMG_20190504_163406746_HDR.jpg

Then Sunday Kathleen and I worked on the front yard and needed a way to keep Luke from heading down the driveway to the street.  Problem solved.

IMG_20190505_171253845_HDR.jpg

The Shelby is hiding on the other side of it at the end of the driveway :lol:  Keep forgetting to fix the passenger window but need to get off my butt and do it, weather is getting way too nice for Kathleen to be the only one not enjoying it!

Matt

mstrpth, Disney and Tino like this

I finally tracked down a gt500 sway bar with all it's hardware, in super nice shape AND dirt cheap and when I crawled under the car it bolt it up...I was met by factory mounts cut off along the lower bolt holes.  Final straw in my "I think this car may have been dragged in the past" debate.  These cuts are made when I stalling sway bar relocation mounts in order to run a 15" wheel on these cars.  Doesn't bother me as I pound on it just the same, tho they could have left the damned $40 brackets and sway bar lol.  Ordered up some brackets and got them on this evening.

Cut brackets.  This side is rough, other side was much cleaner.

IMG_20190510_184619709.jpg

Super simple install, especially considering the cutting was already done.  

Bracket pic won't load from my phone so I'll add it later, nothing special really.

All done.

IMG_20190510_191859806.jpg

Drove it around.  Not sure if it's placebo but it feels like it turns in sharper.  It already handled well enough to make me happy, it feels more snappy, quicker to turn in.  A traction-less blast thru first and 2nd offered no noticeable difference before or after.  I'm hoping I will see some improvement in the 60 area next Tues.  Only one way to find out!

Matt

Tino and JohnC like this

You should compare a stock tune file to yours and see if anything has been done tune wise to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Judging by the mph at the track ide say it's on the factory tune.  It had factory plugs in it when I changed them and they looked like the originals to me.  Sure they could have been swapped back in but I'm not sure.  It had the factory cooling system and the blower/pulley look untouched.  Still odd that it has the back brackets cut for the sway bar relocation but who knows. Maybe they had issues with the lockout and gave up.  Before I got it she was owned by 3 people in quick succession, one put quite a few miles on it then traded for a truck.  

Ide still like to dyno it for a baseline but need to find a free weekday to do so.  Maybe end of this month.

Matt

JohnC likes this

Another good night at the Hill.  They actually had their stuff together this time and got the lanes opened a little earlier than usual so we missed out on a pass getting set up.  The temps were cooling down quickly and once we got into the lanes we had a decent cool-down period.  I ended up getting 3 runs in, would have been more had we got there earlier and if a car hadnt oiled down the end of the track.  

Run 1 - 7.52 at 94.79mph with a 1.73 60ft.  17psi in the tires, decent launch.  Car felt slightly more composed with the addition of the sway bar but still stuck in the low 1.7 60 range.

Run 2 - 8.06 at 90.76 with a 1.69 60ft.  Yep.  1-2 lockout kicked my ass on what was shaping up to be a really good run.  This was after the lengthly clean-up so the car would have been at its best.  Frustrating but thats life.

I went back to the pits at this point (lanes were closed to start the program) and decided to make one more pass to see if I could get 2nd back.  I drained and replaced the clutch reservoir with fresh fluid and vacuum bled it for a couple minutes.  When they opened up the lanes for the program I got back in line.  Not much more than maybe a 5-10 minute cooldown.

Run 3 - 7.56 at 94.18 with a 1.71 60ft.  Got 2nd! 

Im hoping this means I know what to do to keep being able to get 2nd, or at least what to do when I cant in order to keep racing.  Was hoping to see a .4x tonight and likely would have been close on the 2nd run but thats ok.  I was able to redeem myself on the third run and running consistent mid 7's isnt bad at all.

I think it was Mike or AshleyP that was asking about the tire moving on the wheel.  I marked them this go around and here are the results.

Passenger side

Move Pass.jpg

Drivers Side

Move Driver.jpg

Pass side moved slightly, Driver side moved quite a bit.  Not sure if its enough to matter but figured Ide post the results.

I gotta do something to get these 60's down.  I dont want to do anything drastic mod wise and ruin the ride or add a ton of NVH but there has to be something I can do to get it down where the GT was with nothing more than a cradle brace, some lowering springs and these same tires.

Matt

JohnC and Ashley P like this

Yeah man Im havin fun for sure and I know its got more in it if I can just get that 60 down.  Get the trans to give me 2nd consistently and get the 60 down where the GT was and itll be scooting for being stock power wise!

Matt

Got a couple videos from the other night off Kathleen's phone.  

1-2 lockout on my best 60 yet.  :(

And then redemption on the next run after replacing the fluid in the reservoir.  Wish I could have had that 1.69 60 back but I was happy to see 2nd either way!

Matt

Disney and Ashley P like this

1 hour ago, Disney said:

Luke's commentary was my favorite part. Vroooom!

He needs to be the track announcer for at least 5 minutes....

66sprint6 likes this

He would basically say "ooooh CARS! Daddas car.  BBBVVRRROOOOOOOM" there would be alot of NO!s in there (his favorite saying) and then "cackers???" which is his new favorite food and saying :lol:  In between it all would be mostly jibberish...but he could probably make 5 minutes happen!

Matt

mstrpth likes this

Hot night last night but still got to go have some fun.  I wanted to work on the 60 some and try disconnecting the front sway bar BUT I brought a deep socket that was too tall to get the lower bolt on the end link out DOH.  Oh well, I ended up getting 4 runs in, got 2nd every pass but couldnt get quicker than mid 1.7's no matter what I did.

Run 1:  7.75 at 92.60 with a 1.77 60.  17psi in the tires cold (18.5 after the pass) and I launched at 3500 rpm to try and find where it would bog and go from there.  It bogger slightly then rolled out.

Run 2: 7.82 at 91.81 with a 1.83 60.  Dropped pressure to 17psi hot and launched around 4K rpm.  Spun bad out of the hole.  I did however end up cutting a .0009 action which does nothing for me BUT it was pretty cool.  Got a sticker and everything!

received_305743647043613.jpeg

Run 3: 7.70 at 92.45 with a 1.75 60.  changed out the clutch fluid and tried 17psi again with a 4K launch.  Spun but not as bad as pass 2.  Mike got this pass on video so we could see what the car was doing off the line.  Looks like it drops the rear, tire wrinkles up hard then the rear hops back up unloading the tire.  It then comes back down wrinkling the tire again and goes.

Run 4: 7.77 at 91.83 with a 1.75 60.  Hotlapped to try and see if a little less pressure would change the spin.  16 psi, same results.

Guy at the track got a pic of the Shelby in the waterbox and sent it to me.  He got a good pic of @Mike car as well.

HON_1065e.jpg

Next time out Im going to make sure I have what I need to remove the sway bar end link and then see if that helps it keep the rear planted on the initial hit.  I dont want to throw money and parts at it just yet, try the free stuff first then make an educated guess from there.

Matt

JohnC likes this

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Hopefully the slow motion stayed after uploading it to youtube

Look forward to watching when I get to work to see whats up on a bigger screen!  Thanks again Mike, should be big help to get it sorted out some.

Matt

JohnC likes this

Great vid.  Geometry error is evident (at least IMO).   On the axle housing, moving the upper control arm mount up, or the lower control arm mount down would be the needed change.  IMO.   Been there/done that on a Chevelle (top up) and Fox body (lower down).   Actually the Fox had a home built 9" that unknown to us already had it's top mount raised, and we also installed Southside lift lower arms.  On a dump, the rear body shot upward, planting the tires brutally for a split second, then unload and spin.  After taking those bars off, wheelies on the street.  :)   (HUGE tires sticking out of cut quarter panels take all the impressiveness out of that.. :D   31/13.5s )

66sprint6 likes this

:roflmao::roflmao: 

After posting above I see the Dodge van getting the win!    I might have to load up the 15 passenger van and go get me all of us a win!    BIG thanks to Mike for getting that news out!  lol

JohnC, 66sprint6 and Disney like this

I told him he would have a bye run when we lined up, wasnt expecting to red-light but had I not I would have taken the win as I dialed in 7.77 and ran a 7.77 :lol:

I dont care for bracket racing.  I told the guy I wasnt going to lift no matter what, I was just there to see what a psi change would make.  

On to the tech side of things...alot of S197 guys install lower arm relocation brackets that allow 3 different locations, stock being the highest and 2 or 3 locations lower.  They also install adjustable upper arms but most of the time just to get the pinion right after lowering.  There is also an adjustable upper mount.  It seems that the lowers are used to set the instant center and anti squat to try to get it to hook better most often and then the adjustable upper mount can be used as well.  If it comes down to finally throwing parts at it, those relocation brackets might be my first purchase.

Matt