66sprint6

NewestER DD 2012 GT500

664 posts in this topic

Finally had a moment to pull the bumper again and get the 13-14 headlights installed this weekend.  Had a harness made so that the swap was plug and play which was super convenient as they have different main plugs and turn signal plugs.  The harness also allows the DRLs to run like they should which is an added feature on these housings.  I dont care much about that, they just look 100x better especially on a black car due to the black housings.  If it was a white or silver car I woulda stuck with the 10-12 lights with silver housings.

13-14 on the left 10-12 on the right

Headlights.jpg

I also took the time to hit everything that showed thru the now open grilles with some black paint.  Muuuuuuuch better.

Headlight swap.jpg

Matt

JohnC and mstrpth like this

Thanks...outside of maybe some wheels, which isnt THAT important, Ive done everything I really wanted LOOKS wise from the 13-14 refresh and at a steal to boot.  Im gonna hold off on much else till I can get out and see how she acts at the track.  I have a feeling that some rear suspension mods will be next as its a handful on the street traction wise.  I cant wait to see how it acts on the Mickeys vs the S550.

Matt

Maybe by the end of the year...not sure yet.  The TR6060's have terrible 1-2 shift issues (on all platforms they come in) and mine is no exception so Im gonna feel that out at the track.  IF I get enough grip to hammer the 1-2 shift clean then Im gonna start modding from there and could be in the low 700's pretty easy...if not knocking on the door at least.  If the trans isnt having it then I will tear it down, replace the suspect syncro with an upgraded version and then put in a new clutch while at it which will eat up the mod money.  $1500 TVS swap from a 13-14, injectors and a tune and Ill be in the mid to upper 600's on pump and can swap pulleys from there to go higher.  Or pick up a VMP Gen 2R or Gen3 and be all over the mid to upper 700's but sheesh, this is a true DD and it can already be sketchy on the streets so we will see!

Matt  

I couldnt get away long enough to take advantage of the SUPER nice weather Sunday and hit up the TNT at the Hill but I did take a moment to make sure the Mickey's cleared everything ok on the wheels they are on.

Mickeys (1).jpg

Mickeys (2).jpg

I wasnt too worried but didnt want to get all the way out the the track and then realize they rubbed somewhere.  Nowhere near as sexyful as the GT was with them on but if they can get me some 1.6 60's like they did on that car then I will be a happy happy man.  Tues night TNT's start in April.  Cant wait to get some base line passes in and hone in the driver mod. 

Which reminds me, I finally had a moment a couple days ago to try some WOT 1-2 shifts on a dry, decently warm evening (50*) and was able to consistently grab 2nd without even the slightest grind or pause.  Ive read and now believe that spinning the tires is a major factor as is colder temps ( and stock clutch and plastic clutch line yadda yadda).  We will see how it goes at the track but I have more confidence now that itll be a non-issue with the Mickeys and a decent launch.

Matt

Mike, mstrpth and JohnC like this

My friends c6 with the tr6060 is like you describe.  If it hooks, it makes the 1-2 shift.  If it spins, it won't shift.  The synchro just isn't good enough to slow down a high engine acceleration rate when you spin.

I know there's no sense in replacing those rear wheels.  But forgestar look like they would be a perfect match for the stock fronts.

66sprint6 and JohnC like this

Forgestars would look right at home with the factory fronts for sure.  It would look AMAZING on a full set of welds like yours :drool:

But for now Im gonna poor man drag pack it, knockoff Bullitts in the rear, 50psi in the fronts :lol:.  If I did anything it would be a set of skinnies to complete the setup.  Knock off some weight and resistance AND tame the sway on the big end.  Ide probably be more comfortable that way if I ever got out to Beech Bend with it then.

Matt

Disney and JohnC like this

The quick and permanent fix for the TR6060 issue is a set of carbon synchros and they only cost $90.  Just have to tear the entire trans down to do em.  IF I have enough issues with it to start taking away from the enjoyment of driving the car Ill take the plunge as everyone Ive read thats done it, Ford and GM, reports back that its the best thing they have done to the car.  

Matt

JohnC likes this

21 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

The quick and permanent fix for the TR6060 issue is a set of carbon synchros and they only cost $90.  Just have to tear the entire trans down to do em.  IF I have enough issues with it to start taking away from the enjoyment of driving the car Ill take the plunge as everyone Ive read thats done it, Ford and GM, reports back that its the best thing they have done to the car.  

Matt

My friends c6 has the carbon syncros and they don't help.  He's on the second tr6060 and the first one got rebuild with carbon syncros and they didn't help then either.

JohnC likes this

27 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

Forgestars would look right at home with the factory fronts for sure.  It would look AMAZING on a full set of welds like yours :drool:

But for now Im gonna poor man drag pack it, knockoff Bullitts in the rear, 50psi in the fronts :lol:.  If I did anything it would be a set of skinnies to complete the setup.  Knock off some weight and resistance AND tame the sway on the big end.  Ide probably be more comfortable that way if I ever got out to Beech Bend with it then.

Matt

I drove mine to work today for the first time with the "full size" front welds.  It was like driving on stock fronts.  The 18x7's with Michelin PSS's are maybe 6 lbs. heavier per side than the 18x5's with M/T sportsman fronts. They are still about a 10lb savings over the 19" stockers.

JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

My friends c6 has the carbon syncros and they don't help.  He's on the second tr6060 and the first one got rebuild with carbon syncros and they didn't help then either.

Really????  Damn :smirk:.  I HATE that I cant grab 2nd ever when I need to.  Usually if I spin a little pulling out of a parking lot or from a light I will short shift 2nd and get the grip I need no problem.  Not with this trans.  Itll do it, but itll make the nastiest grind noise and buzz your hand which pisses me off.  Lockout only happens at WOT and only when spinning bad so Ive only experienced it once but the grind is such a pain and it spoils any fun your trying to have.  Its honestly the only thing that I dislike about the car.  The 1-2 shift doesnt feel right to your hand EVER and it grinds when your aggressive with it.  None of the other gears are this way, they feel great and are there when you need them no matter what.

26 minutes ago, Mike said:

I drove mine to work today for the first time with the "full size" front welds.  It was like driving on stock fronts.  The 18x7's with Michelin PSS's are maybe 6 lbs. heavier per side than the 18x5's with M/T sportsman fronts. They are still about a 10lb savings over the 19" stockers.

I honestly am not a huge fan of the factory SVTPP wheels that came on this car and would love to swap them for something else but just cant justify the cost just now.  Otherwise a set of black anodized Welds for both Street and Strip would the ticket!  Ill find something down the road at a decent price but for now Ill make what Ive got work!  Cant wait to get out and see what kinda fun I can get into with it.  Couple more weeks!

Matt

28 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

Really????  Damn :smirk:.  I HATE that I cant grab 2nd ever when I need to.  Usually if I spin a little pulling out of a parking lot or from a light I will short shift 2nd and get the grip I need no problem.  Not with this trans.  Itll do it, but itll make the nastiest grind noise and buzz your hand which pisses me off. 

That's worse than his problem.  He only has issues WOT at the track.  You could very well need a syncro.  What kind of clutch is in your car, single or dual disc?  How well does the clutch disengage when sitting at a stop to get the trans into gear?

What 1st gear ratio is your trans.

2.97 First gear ratio I believe.  Factory clutch.  Its light and smooth from a stop, no chatter, no drama.  Getting the shifter into 1st from neutral quickly is a slight pain and the 1-2 shift is notchy/clunky and a decent amount of effort is needed to make it happen.  Installing the MGW shifter and changing the fluid to Mobile 1 Synthetic (per Tremec) helped a ton but its still semi-obnoxious.  All of my issues seem to be on par with the GT500 guys as well as alot of GM cars from what Ive read.  When it warms up outside or I give the trans a couple miles to warm up it gets better but is still noticeably notchy.  None of the other gears are this way, they are all smooth and more precise feeling if that makes sense.  Now, when dry out and warm I can be more aggressive off the line and hit 2nd harder than normal without issue, its mostly in the wet/cold that it grinds/scratches when shifted down low around a turn or when accelerating briskly and shifting mid rpm band.  I dont get to do many WOT 1-2 shifts with this car as 1st is useless at anything over 1/2-3/4 throttle so I have only a couple successful hard shifts under my belt, an equal amount of scratched shifts and one lockout to date.  The track will be the ultimate test.  IF I can get the shift without issue on a regular basis then I wont complain too much more about it.  If not...well I guess itll be back to the drawing board.  Im fairly confident itll be ok if I can get the launch down.

Matt

On 3/11/2019 at 11:37 AM, Ashley P said:

^ Can't get 2nd?   Autoswap yet?  :duck:

I'll likely not make enough power or want to be competitive enough (or want to spend enough $$$$) to want to do that.  Damned if 6r80 swapped gt500's aren't picking up unbelievable gains at the track but I still like rowing my own for the time being!

Matt

JohnC and mstrpth like this

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Do it! :hyper:

Not anytime soon.  Its $$$ and I still like being the master of my own fate :lol:

The 6R80 cars are unbelievable tho...shows the true potential these cars have.  Even relatively stock cars are going WAY faster than they should for the mods done.  For now Im enjoying shifting day to day and Ive noticed the warmer it is out the better.  Only track time will tell tho.  Nice thing is, I may have to wait a bit for the intercooler coolant to chill out a bit between runs but not to let the trans cool!

Matt

JohnC likes this

Similar view...different mirror this go around.

IMG_20190402_170200162_HDR.jpg

First pass was a shake-down, get rid of the nerves, see how she acts, try to keep the shiny side up...and shiny kinda deal.  Launched around 3K with a quick clutch let out.  Bogged but recovered nicely.  Ran nice and straight, no drama, shifts were just fine (WOOHOO) and I ended up with a 7.86 at 93.56mph with a 1.84 60ft.  Promising first run! 

7.86 at 93.jpg

Got back in the lanes for a hot lap and ended up getting a wonderful cool-down while they ran the bikes for what felt like an hour.  Next pass I upped the RPMS to roughly 4500, dumped the clutch and it TORE out of the hole like an animal.  Was very violent...and very entertaining.  I was so amused by it that I let 1st go for too long and let it hit the limiter before the 1-2 shift.  Ended up running a 7.52 at 94.72 mph with a 1.75 60ft.

7.52 at 94.jpg

They started the bracket program right after that pass so I packed up and went home.  Great first night running the car despite only getting two chances.  The main fear I had was the 1-2 lockout but never encountered it.  She shifted perfect every time without fail.  Im thanking the Bias Plys and the MGW shifter for that one.  

I was hoping the Shelby would be close to as quick stock as the GT was before I sold it and I ended up beating its best time by .020.  Yes, the air was cooler and the DA was almost 2000 lower but my 60ft was a full tenth slower on the Shelby so I know its got more in it.  The GT did as well had I been able to run it in better air.  They are close enough to the same that Im happy!  Im gonna keep working on the driver mod and look into what I need to do to get that 60ft down to the 1.6 maybe 1.5 range.  I want to see over the next couple cool weeks what I can get out of it before I start throwing more power at it.

IMG_20190402_191219237.jpg

IMG_20190402_191229955.jpg

IMG_20190402_200216447.jpg

Matt

Tino, Ashley P and mstrpth like this

My goal is to work on the launch and shift RPMs to try and knock the times down a bit as it sits.  Its got more in it for sure.  Not quite 10's worth but low 11's for sure.  Fastest stock 11-12 GT500's on a tire have ran as deep as the 7.3/11.2 range but most are in the mid to upper 11's.  I dont imagine Ill get anywhere near low low 7's as it sits BUT with the good air and some driving you never know.  IF I can coax a 1.6 60ft out of it AND keep the 1-2 shift off the limiter (its a hard limiter too, cuts all power for a moment) then MAYBE itll have a high 7.3 in it?  Only one way to find out.  Or sling the driveshaft or break and axle trying!

Once the driver mod is dialed in itll be basic bolt-on/tune time.  After that itll be budget blower swap time and then I will likely have to spend all my mod money on clutch, driveshaft and suspension to keep up.

Matt

This thing is almost as quick as the GT was at full tilt.  Itll HOPEFULLY put down quicker times as it sits than the GT but that will likely be because of the nicer air.  I was hoping the GT would have some 7.3's in it in nice air but never found out.  10 speed 2018-2019 GT's with bolt-ons, E85 tune and a tire are quicker than my GT500.  They make similar power and are slightly lighter.  Thats full tilt as well for them tho.  Similar mods on the Shelby and Ill be in the 6's with ease.  Thats what Im happy about.  Its already really fun and will only get quicker as I get better and as I throw mods at it.

Matt

JohnC, Ashley P, Disney and 1 other like this

Well...last just wasnt my night.  Got 4 runs in and they were all duds.  Started off on the wrong foot and never got back to it.  I was one of the first cars up and got a solo run in.  Went to do my burnout and the car bogged real hard and stalled.  Guy in the waterbox said it was his fault, he hadnt put water back there yet.  I fired back up but forgot to turn of the traction control so I stalled it out again.  I told him that time it was MY fault and decided to make the pass with just a quick 1st gear dust off in Sport Mode (turning it completely off was taking too long).  I left easy like I was leaving a stop light and just shifted by ear.  Damned if the ole 1-2 shift lockout issue didnt rear its ugly head.  8.2 at 92 with a 2.1 60ft :lol:

Circled around and went for a hot lap to try and redeem myself.  Lined up with a bolt-on/E85 15-17 GT on a tire and skinnies.  Got my burnout that time and launched around 4500-5K.  It spun hard off the line but with momentum and I was able to get the best 60 yet but sure enough, went to hit 2nd and it was a brick wall of grinding noises.  I was able to get it eventually and stay ahead of the GT for the win.  8.04 at 90 mph with a 1.71 60ft. 

3rd run was against a Hemi Cherokee after a decent cool down.  This time I tried to launch a little easier and quickly slip the clutch rather than dump it.  Didnt do anything for me and this run the 1-2 lockout was worse than before.  It felt like forever before it would let me in.  I still held him off and ran an 8.3 at 88mph with a 1.76 60ft.

Final run was against a C5 vert with a cam and exhaust, not sure what else but it sounded amazing.  He was on a street tire so I knew it wasnt a run and tried to focus on the 1-2.  Went back to the more aggressive clutch dump on the launch and got out same as always, spinning but moving.  1-2 locked me out slightly worse than the Jeep run and I ran nearly the same time, ahead of the Vette.  8.3 at 88mph with a 1.73 60ft.  

By then I was over it and I packed up to head home.  To rub salt in the wound, one lug nut decided to seize and I had to break it off to get home. :shiftyeyes:

IMG_20190409_201124621.jpg

IMG_20190409_201140208.jpg

No biggie, new studs will be on the way shortly, just gotta figure out whats next on the 1-2 shift saga.  I didnt have a HINT of trouble out of it last week, shifted great.  Wondering if my burnout debacle on the first run pissed off the clutch enough to cause it or if the track was greasier and I was spinning just enough off the launch to cause it...not really sure.  Ive got the fluid I was going to put in the GT still so Ill replace the brake/clutch fluid and make sure its clean and then go from there.  If the syncro doesnt let me play over the next couple weeks then the trans will be coming out to be looked at.  Need to put the wagon up for sale to free up some funds!

Matt