66sprint6

NewestER DD 2012 GT500

575 posts in this topic

Unless something changes Im gonna roll over to 5th gear this coming Tues afternoon (3:30-4 or so) to hit up the dyno.  She's full of fresh fluids and has been checked over best I can, this will be a good way to get those baseline #'s and also make sure she's happy and acting right.

Matt  

JohnC and Tino like this

Struck up a deal on some mods that I couldnt pass up and it required my stock parts in return so I took advantage of the nice weather to get to work.

IMG_20190202_154945557_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190202_154951637_HDR.jpg

Pulled the bumper to remove the heat exchanger as well as the upper and lower grilles.  I then went around back and dropped the stock Axle Backs.  

IMG_20190202_170633150.jpg

Now Im loaded up and going to head to Cookeville around 5 this evening to pick up Driver and Pass side catch cans, VMP triple pass Heat Exchanger, 2013/14 upper and lower grilles, Borla Axle Back (maybe) and if I can work some magic, swap my stock shifter for an aftermarket piece.  I say maybe on the Axle Backs because if its NOT a Borla S or something similar in the lack of drone dept then I likely wont take it.  The stock setup is amazing but its just a tad too quiet and there are no resonators to delete on the Shelby's to get the volume up.

Once I have the parts I have to then head the 2 hours home and get right to work getting it back together so I can try to make the Dyno appt I made for Tues afternoon at 5th Gear.  Whatever I cant get done tonight Ill likely take off the time tomorrow to do.

Matt

Tino and JohnC like this

^.....and the wagon only accidentally gets it's bumper in a pic.  Kicked to the curb.  Sad. :(

But makin' progress is good. 

lol   One's pretty and useless, the other ugly and reliable.  Name 'em....

Leah and Rachel!    lol

(I'm just pickin' on Leah, she's really not UGLY, but, well....uh,....I gotta go.)

Edited by Ashley P

What was supposed to be a fun mad dash of a couple days has ended in sweet sweeeet defeat.

Got up to Cookeville and got the parts without issue, drove home and got to work doing all I could that evening.  Ended up getting everything on waited till morning to fire it up and burp the system. 

IMG_20190205_120142493_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190205_120153196_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190205_120123420_HDR.jpg

Next day I fired the car up and got to work burping and nothing was happening.  Pump wasnt coming on, fans werent blowing...nothing.  In hindsight, this is NORMAL because the way the setup works is to run like factory and turn on at a certain temp.  Unfortunately for me, I wasnt sure about this and most info I read and was told by VMP said it should turn on at key on so I called VMP directly to find out.  Two different techs said my wiring harness was wrong and it needed a connector to some plug on the head and that it should turn on when the key is turned on.  I explained that the harness looked like it had NOT been messed with and that it plugged into the factory HE pump plug like it should.  They both disputed this to be wrong yadda yadda.  So I chased down a lead on a 12v source that would come on with the ignition, jumpered a wire from it to the harness and got the fans to work but no pump.  Pulled the pump out and jumpered it straight to the battery and known good ground...nothing.  Took it apart, freed it up and got it to work again.  

At this point I went inside to order another pump and look at a new harness on VMP's site (now working).  On their own website it says, very clearly that there are THREE options for the harness, one of which works with the 2012 and older GT500's and is EXACTLY what I have and was explaining to the guys.  At this I went back outside, put the harness back on the power source and ground, hooked up the fans and the pump and then jumpered the pump's relay spot on the fuse box and BOOM...fans AND pump now work!!!  Ive already missed the dyno time at this point but Im winning again and all is well.  I ran all the wiring the correct way, hooked it all up, made sure it still worked (it did) and then burped the system properly and checked for leaks etc.  With everything checking out I went ahead and put the bumper back on and got ready to put the car back on the ground.  At this point I ran out of time before Kathleen and I were going to go out so I thought, Ill fire it up one last time in victory then we can go.  Hook up the battery again, hop in the car, turn the key, car cranks...and cranks...and cranks...nothing.  No fire, no hiccups, not even the slightest attempt to fire.  Lots of fiddling, checking and even an attempt to jump the car off just in case I drained the battery a bit too much have all resulted in nothing.  Cranks but wont fire.  Fuel pump primes (can hear it) but nothing but cranking after.  

Im super annoyed and can only blame myself (altho it WAS running just fine before VMP's wild goose chase) but Im getting frustrated by the fact that Im almost out of my range of abilities when it comes to sorting this, probably fairly simple issue out.  Im picking up a code reader today after work to see if Im lucky enough to have the car tell on itself and if not Ill keep looking at fuses and relays I guess.  EVERYTHING works exactly how it should and it even sounds right other than the fact that it cranks and crank and cranks with no fire.  Ide rather not have it towed to Ford so Im hoping I can sort it out but after today itll likely be above my head and Im gonna need professional help :lol:

Matt

JohnC likes this

But Leah is still running fine...  lol

Hey, sounds like you need the carb/points ignition mod.  Lemme know if you can't get anyone else to help you set the points. I'm here to help. ;) 

I had just got done saying how much Ive enjoyed working on something newer again for a change and then this.  Again its likely something super simple but itll be a chore for me to find it.  New territory for me, but I guess this IS how I learn.

Matt

Ashley P likes this

unhook fans and pump again and see if it starts? Cycle the door lock buttons then try again? I've had a car or two that would activate the PATS system for no good reason. I would use the FOB to lock and then unlock the doors and the cars would start.

66sprint6 likes this

She's back!  I did what you were saying Disney thinking it might be the PATS system but no dice.  Pulled codes...none.  started going thru the fuses and the last one left to check that might be the issue came up blown, PCM power ignition coil.  Woohoo.  Replaced it and all is well.  Thank God, was hoping it would be something small, little did I know it would be about the size of a mini 15amp fuse.

Matt

Me.  I'm confident that I did it either when rooting around for a 12v source or possibly pulling the battery cables the handful of times I had to do so.  I'm going to keep a handful of replacements handy in case I'm wrong and then I will need to sort out what the issue is but like I said I'm sure it was my own cock up to blame.

Matt

Thanks!  I would likely have left it alone rather than pay $500 for the upper and lower but $Free cant be beat AND I already needed to have the bumper off anyways so win/win!  Ive got some 13/14 headlights to go in that I also scored a wicked deal on (not $free tho) but Im waiting on a plugnplay harness to make it an easy install.  That will likely be the end of any visual changes I want to make to this car.  The rest will be minor bolt-ons/tune related.

Matt

Are these the same wheels as yours?

I have them on my Lexus and would like to know the specs if you know them. Guy I got them from had a 2011-2014 mustang 

20190207_204824.jpg

JohnC likes this

No those are similar but may be the v6 premium wheels and I think some GT's had them as well.  Mine are SVT performance pack wheels that come in a 19 up front and 20 out back.

Matt

Tino likes this

11 hours ago, Tino said:

Are these the same wheels as yours?

I have them on my Lexus and would like to know the specs if you know them. Guy I got them from had a 2011-2014 mustang 

20190207_204824.jpg

If it's an OE wheel, any spec you would want should be on the back of the wheel.

66sprint6 and Tino like this

Didn't have time for the whole detail, clay, seal deal I would like to do BUT I'm very happy with the results of a super quick Chadwick's wipe down and some tire shine.

IMG_20190209_145408597_HDR.jpg

I always love and hate the first time I clean a car.  Finding the ugly stuff hurts but this time I really didn't mind any of it.  It's a DD and I'm good with it not being perfect but it's super nice regardless so I can live with it!

Matt

mstrpth, JohnC, Ashley P and 2 others like this

Problem is when I clean her itll be to post it for sale.  I've been dragging my feet and I haven't had the time needed to clean it up and finish some of the work I wanna do before putting it out there.  I really NEED to move it quick but I also don't want to give it away with all that's been done.  

Matt