66sprint6

NewestER DD 2012 GT500

529 posts in this topic

House is going on the market so I have to get my JUNK outta there ASAP!!!  Got Patco in the Boro to put together a custom power steering hose to link the Saginaw pump and new Mustang GT steering rack.  Ended up being the same price as buying one new (if I could) and appears to be really nice quality.  I got everything together and got the car running, checked for leaks and ready to go EXCEPT i left my measuring tape at the new house so I couldnt adjust the toe.  Ill do that tonight and will hopefully be able to clear the driveway.  The 66 will head over next and then I can get to work moving the garage.

Matt

Heck yeah if I have a hard time with my normal method Ill give you a holler and come snag em!  I just wanna get it close enough to be able to drive for a bit before I get it aligned.

Matt

She's back on the road again.

IMG_20181108_083601986_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181108_083542987_HDR.jpg

Getting the toe set (close enough at least) was super simple with the bumpsteer kit.  Got everything dialed in, back together and fired her up to try and bleed the system and had NO power assist what-so-ever.  When I did the trucks entire system I had power assist immediately despite being new but I guess a power rack and a steering box respond different.  I got to work steering it back and forth and finally started to get some assist.  Dropped it on the ground, said a prayer and hey, it works!  The steering is super stiff feeling compared to what came on the car.  You could fart in the back seat and if there was even a whiff of stink it would be enough to steer you into the ditch with the old setup.  Now, you have to make an effort.  Im getting used to it tho and on twistier roads its really really nice.  I now have lock to lock steering without rubbing the K member, frame, strut etc BUT I do have the inevitable tire rub on the fender during hard turns.  The BlueCoupe was the same way on these springs so no shock there.  Ill roll the fender lips and then go from there.  The ride is MUCH improved and it no longer bottoms out the struts on large bumps.  The pump is dead quiet so I no longer sound like an old-timey fire truck anymore but there is some belt chirp thanks to the AC compressor being a little too far forward.  It appears that there is some adjustment left and it might be enough to get it in line.  Im gonna drive it around as is now till the move is a little more sorted but then Ill tackle the rear suspension and see if that helps with some of the remaining harshness in the ride!

Matt

How about some sort of center cap covers and some trim rings like on my buddy's 55?  I think he has two rings.  Maybe the outer ring and the center cover? :shrug: Or would that be too old manish?  I may be showing my age.  LOL. 

IMG_0050.jpg

No way I LOVE black steelies with those bullet lug caps and trim rings BUT these wheels dont seem to look as good as the old-school steelies with beauty rings.  You can find them for these wheels pretty readily but Ive never been a fan.  Im gonna go nuts out till I get the alignment sorted then run the early model Cop covers and maybe see if I can snag a set of the later model lower profile covers down the road to see if I like them better (Joey has some).

Matt

ts1979flh likes this

Got the front fenders 90% clearing the tires with very little work.  There is a screw dead center of the arch holding the inner fenders in that barely rubs the driver's side tire when backing out of a driveway.  The ride kinda sucks.  When I had these springs under the Coupe I also had some Tokiko Blues and the ride was wonderful (at least I remember it being so).  With the Monroe OE replacement struts and very likely the extra weight of the 4r70W this thing just doesnt take to cracks in the road very well.  Bumps and such are no biggie but hard edges cracks and surface variations are loud and annoying as hell.  I checked tire pressure and knocked it down to 32psi from 33-34 so I doubt thats it.  I purposefully got the 16's in hopes that the extra sidewall height would comfy it up a bit.  I already ditched the rusty V8 springs or else Ide slap them in to see if it is being caused by the car being too low for the struts to handle OR if the struts are just junk.  I was going to buy good struts but figured the cheapo OE replacements would be good enough for this pile.  Its getting to be annoying to drive.  In every othe aspect its 100x better than before, much more stable, handles muuuuch better, steering is perfect and the ride anywhere else is really nice.  Im either going to try to dig my V8 springs outta the scrap pile at my neighbors, try a coilover kit with light spring or bite the bullet and get some good struts and a good coilover setup.

Matt

FWIW That car doesn't look right with those style wheels, I'd be sourcing some 5 lug gun metal cobra r wheels post haste just my :2cents:

66sprint6 likes this

The Coppers are here to stay, for a while at least!  They were cheap, look good and work great.  If I ever get to really liking the car and get the dings sorted MAYBE Ill do something different to make it stand out a bit more again and if that day comes its either gloss black or anthacite Bullits OR maybe the Torque Thrusts off the 66.  I need to get the ugly bastard to ride a little better then go from there.  She runs like a top tho and is super peppy around town which makes for a fun DD.  Get it riding right and itll be alright!!!

Matt

Not much post worthy crap going on with the car lately, I put a master cylinder off a New Edge SN95 in and got it working with the stock booster.  Its stiff (knew it would be but figured Ide try it) but thats no worry because I snagged the booster off the same car and will swap it here soon.  I also got put a used H pipe in and it made the DynoMax's actually sound pretty ok!  With the stock 4 cat mid pipe all it did was drone between 1500-2000 rpm and then get super quiet at anything over half throttle.  It was obnoxious.  It didnt have a nice rumble, but more of a noisy hum sound.  With the H pipe it completely flipped it, nice and quiet at part throttle, drone was completely gone and then it would get louder as you added throttle.  I actually almost kinda liked it and the V8 sound came out nicely.  I then put some high flow cats under it hoping it wouldnt change much but it did what should be expected and put it about half way between the two.  Drone at low throttle is back but not as bad, its not as loud as you add throttle which sucks and the good V8 rumble has  been brought partially back to the hum it was before.  Its not terrible but Ill probably swap the mufflers down the road.  

Catted H.jpg

Im doing some small tweaks to get the suspension ironed out as well.  Gonna raise the front up a tad to try and level off the ride height and gain some ride quality and then look at the rear.  Probably just do lowers, box the uppers and replace bushings and call it good.  It already rides really nice EXCEPT on some rougher patches of road and handles well enough to make me happy.  Then its on to deciding on a cam and valve springs and deciding whether or not the car will stay auto or get a T5 swap.

Otherwise its been doing it duty as a daily and Ive been putting the miles on it.  It gets alot of looks...good and bad but its doing its job.  Junkyard trips, trips to the range, hauling crap between houses and bringing Christmas to the Parent's place.  Where it may not be scratching the "hot rod" itch, its doing its job everywhere else.

Matt

Kathleen, being sick of the wagon and all the work I have been doing to it lately came to me and said...for the second time in our marriage mind you..."You need to go buy another Mustang".  For the second time in our marriage I said "Pffffffft, naaah its not in the cards right now" aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand for the second time in our marriage, I bought a Mustang shortly after that. :lol:

This time I went for a dream car and after some stretching, number crunching and some back and forth, ended up with this thing.

IMG_20190113_125703414.jpg

2012 GT500 with the Performance Pack, Recaros, Nav and Stripe Delete.  28K miles, stock as the day it left the assembly line and clean as can be. 

IMG_20190112_145824168.jpg

IMG_20190113_125732323.jpg

IMG_20190113_125745047_HDR.jpg

TOTALLY different car from the S550 GT but still nice enough to not be a huge let down.  Power is down low and instant where the Coyote wanted to breath.  The ride is good enough for DD and outside of some terrible terrible, hard as a rock, noisy Summer only rubbers that have GOT to go, it handles really well and gets down the road nicely.  I havnt been able to even see a lick of boost yet thanks to the cold wet weather and those terrible tires but Im hoping the sun will shine in the next couple days.  This was a total splurge purchase and once again, I feel that I dont deserve this car but Ive always wanted one and here it is.  Should make 15-30 rwhp more than my full bolt-on/E85 GT but will likely be a tad slower at the track due to some extra heft.  Only one way to find out tho and I plan on doing so as soon as the season starts back up.  This car will see mods, likely bolt-ons and some aesthetic mods early on and then eventually will see at the least a 13-14 TVS blower swap unless something else comes along.  For now Ill get used to the 480-500whp range and go from there!

Matt 

Mike, Disney, mstrpth and 2 others like this

First mod I'd do is ditch those tail lights for the 13-14 style if there is a bolt-on kit to do it.

I've not seen many black GT500's around, so nice find!

I'd go find one of those vinyl wrap shops and have them put gray or silver GT500 stripes on it, too. :up:

66sprint6 likes this

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

First mod I'd do is ditch those tail lights for the 13-14 style if there is a bolt-on kit to do it.

I've not seen many black GT500's around, so nice find!

I'd go find one of those vinyl wrap shops and have them put gray or silver GT500 stripes on it, too. :up:

Not that simple.  Changing to the ‘13-14 lights requires a new rear bumper panel and lots of other associated parts.  If you can live with the ‘10-11 taillights on the Camaro, the stock lights on the GT500 should be no problem.  You can make a lot of mods for the money you’d spent making the taillight swap and putting non-factory striping on the car.

66sprint6, JohnC and mstrpth like this

2 hours ago, Nostalgic1 said:

Not that simple.  Changing to the ‘13-14 lights requires a new rear bumper panel and lots of other associated parts.  If you can live with the ‘10-11 taillights on the Camaro, the stock lights on the GT500 should be no problem.  You can make a lot of mods for the money you’d spent making the taillight swap and putting non-factory striping on the car.

It's just IMHO...

Doesn't mater at the end of the day as it's not my car.

And I wouldn't spend a ton trying to change if it was mine.

I'd only change it if it was a bolt on swap for what's there now. 

I've actually debated putting the race red with silver stripes that woulda come on it had it not had the delete kit but I like the subtle look.  Might do just the rocker stripe who knows.  Tailights can be done with a new filler panel that attaches to the bottom of the 13-14 tailight and looks decent but doing an entire bumper swap would look better...and then adding a quad tip setup yadda yadda.  Ide only do it if I found some dirt cheap.  To me, the grilles are the best part of the 13-14 so I will do that swap one day and MAYBE the headlights as well but they are too expensive as it sits.  Tires are likely first.  I saw one on some S550 PP wheels and it was dead sexy so I might try to trade for some (or buy some gloss black 13-14 wheels) and then put some DWS06's on them.  The exhaust is near perfection but needs some volume so high flow catted x or h pipe is on the list.  I'm excited about this car tho, it still doesn't seem real.

Matt

35 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

So, you buy an embarrassment of a turd and spend so much time working on it that the wife makes you buy a fancy dancy hotrod.

Well played, sir!  :up:

(Of course, sweet car.)

I like the nugget wagon alot but couldn't pass this up AND I had Kathleen on board which makes it feel a little better despite being a bit of an expense.  Very thankful.

Matt

23 minutes ago, Disney said:

Yeah, I want to check it out. Might be my next project! Ever seen an LS swapped WAGON?!!!  Yes.. yes  you have, but not a BLUE LTD!!!

I have...and they are gooooooooooood.  Its already really good as it sits and isnt far from being a quick little ride but LS swap would ensure it just the same.

Matt

15 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Its already really good as it sits and isnt far from being a quick little ride but LS swap would ensure it just the same.

be honest, how hard was it to type this?

Ashley P and 66sprint6 like this

Extremely...but oddly enough it was easier than if we had been talking about a Fox Coupe or something like that.  I guess its so common in the Fairmont/LTD world that its not as big of a deal to me.  I wouldnt personally do it but ide likely drive/race it!

Matt