66sprint6

NewEST DD 1985 LTD WagonTF????

509 posts in this topic

What car?

Like said above, couple cars Ive owned smelled good, others made me wreak.  My carbed vehicles were/are the worse by far and the 88 was enough to bother me when I drove it every day.  The smell on my shirt got old and eventually started givin me headaches.  Now its perfect and smells good again lol.  Not riskin it on my ST.  Im hoping the new carb tweaks will lessen the stink in the 66 but I know itll never fully go away.  Its dumped before the axle as well and will be getting some turndowns out near the back valence which will hopefully help as well!

Matt

Come to think of it, both trucks were before the axles as well.  Oh well, its done on the ST and Im not worried bout the 2 HP I might be missin out on.  Its still better than the stocker!

Matt

When my 97 was new and close to stock, first time I put an O/R h-pipe on it, it smelled as clean as when it had cats. I was surprised and always wondered if the car would pass the old tailpipe inspection like that.

It wouldn't now since it's modded and one the motor warms up, you can smell it more. You can tell it's a tad rich, but not to the point of being stinky or giving me a headache.

BlueCoupe passed sniffer with TFS alum heads, stage 1 cam, street heat intake, all boltons, shorties, offroad H and Flows.  Wasnt even CLOSE to failing...then immediately failed visual lol.  She smelled amazing all the time.  66 on the otherhand...yuck.  St, nothin but new car smell baby!

Matt

Kpate and JohnC like this

BlueCoupe passed sniffer with TFS alum heads, stage 1 cam, street heat intake, all boltons, shorties, offroad H and Flows.  Wasnt even CLOSE to failing...then immediately failed visual lol.  She smelled amazing all the time.  66 on the otherhand...yuck.  St, nothin but new car smell baby!

Matt

What did they say when you had no cats? Just get some and re-test, or did they say they could fine you or anything?

They usually would make them come back with the cats installed and some sort of reciept on purchasing it wouldn't they???

What car?

Like said above, couple cars Ive owned smelled good, others made me wreak.  My carbed vehicles were/are the worse by far and the 88 was enough to bother me when I drove it every day.  The smell on my shirt got old and eventually started givin me headaches.  Now its perfect and smells good again lol.  Not riskin it on my ST.  Im hoping the new carb tweaks will lessen the stink in the 66 but I know itll never fully go away.  Its dumped before the axle as well and will be getting some turndowns out near the back valence which will hopefully help as well!

Matt

this was before i dumped it

http://youtu.be/B2CChpMO0cI

JohnC likes this

They crawled under it with a yoga mat, got up and went to get the manager.  He crawled under it and said "You need to have a cat on each pipe and you only have 1"  which baffled me cause I had exactly 0 cats but I basically said "thats news to me" about only having one cat and told him Ide be back the next day.  No harsh words or threats or anything.  I came back with 2 dummy cats welded onto the H pipe and a receipt for "race cats" and they looked under it, printed my smiley face pass and I was off to get my stickers!  Since they were so polite about the entire deal I didnt bring up that I didnt think the hole in the Ozone layer would get bigger after lookin under my car and seeing the lack of cats and that passing the sniffer with flying colors should be good enough.  Its always fun bringing a cammed car through sniffer and passing without issue tho which the car did every time after that.

Matt

JohnC and Kpate like this

They crawled under it with a yoga mat, got up and went to get the manager.  He crawled under it and said "You need to have a cat on each pipe and you only have 1"  which baffled me cause I had exactly 0 cats but I basically said "thats news to me" about only having one cat and told him Ide be back the next day.  No harsh words or threats or anything.  I came back with 2 dummy cats welded onto the H pipe and a receipt for "race cats" and they looked under it, printed my smiley face pass and I was off to get my stickers!  Since they were so polite about the entire deal I didnt bring up that I didnt think the hole in the Ozone layer would get bigger after lookin under my car and seeing the lack of cats and that passing the sniffer with flying colors should be good enough.  Its always fun bringing a cammed car through sniffer and passing without issue tho which the car did every time after that.

Matt

That's what I need is dummy cats. I'm tried of the h-pipe swap each year to pass emiss! :lol:

Screw that man, you can either weld some cat shields on and risk being busted or pick up some old cats, punch out the garbage inside and then weld them into the Hpipe.  Thats what I ended up doing and it worked great.

Matt

JohnC and Kpate like this

Matt

That's when you had that MAC Pro-Chamber on there wasn't it?????

JohnC likes this

It was either an old BBK or MAC I cant remember but I wanna say BBK.  I just remember that it was a catless Hpipe, then it was a fake catted H pipe and now its just a set of collectors with O2 sensors sitting in my shed.  My buddy cut the cats out to use on his X pipe when I pulled it all apart.

Matt

JohnC likes this

Which cam did you use? Any issues with the install, PTV, or anything?

vt cams. thats all i remember

stage 2 springs

no contact.

no real problems. getting the crankshaft pully off was a nightmare. I also broke some of the webing on the camshaft bearing cap, but it wasn't an important part of it. fyi those caps are made to each head and the only way to replace them is to buy a new head.....or so the dealer said.

C'mon down....We'll throw 'em on there... :3gears:  :cheers:

Got any old cats laying around (not the furry kind)?

If not, a trip to the j/y will be needed first. :yes:

Got any old cats laying around (not the furry kind)?

If not, a trip to the j/y will be needed first. :yes:

None laying around here John. Best bet is to just grab some hi-flos and go for it.

But I have 5 cats laying around that purr.... :2fingers:

JohnC likes this

Buy one cat from the J/Y that has a heat shield on both side.  Cut the heat shield off in two pieces and weld them on.  Viola, instant high flow cats and you don't have to remove the h-pipe.  Delk would probably sell you the heat shields only if you want. They have piles of stock h-pipes.

JohnC likes this

Thats what I was runnin when they caught me, heat shields tacked to the Hpipe.  When he came out from under it he said I only had 1 cat which I just played dumb and said Ide take that up with my exhaust guy LOL.  My buddy who now has my dummy cats got them from me because he was caught with just shields as well.  We were both annoyed cause I dont know how many people ive seen do this and never get a second look.

Matt