66sprint6

NewEST DD 1985 LTD WagonTF????

506 posts in this topic

House is going on the market so I have to get my JUNK outta there ASAP!!!  Got Patco in the Boro to put together a custom power steering hose to link the Saginaw pump and new Mustang GT steering rack.  Ended up being the same price as buying one new (if I could) and appears to be really nice quality.  I got everything together and got the car running, checked for leaks and ready to go EXCEPT i left my measuring tape at the new house so I couldnt adjust the toe.  Ill do that tonight and will hopefully be able to clear the driveway.  The 66 will head over next and then I can get to work moving the garage.

Matt

Heck yeah if I have a hard time with my normal method Ill give you a holler and come snag em!  I just wanna get it close enough to be able to drive for a bit before I get it aligned.

Matt

She's back on the road again.

IMG_20181108_083601986_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181108_083542987_HDR.jpg

Getting the toe set (close enough at least) was super simple with the bumpsteer kit.  Got everything dialed in, back together and fired her up to try and bleed the system and had NO power assist what-so-ever.  When I did the trucks entire system I had power assist immediately despite being new but I guess a power rack and a steering box respond different.  I got to work steering it back and forth and finally started to get some assist.  Dropped it on the ground, said a prayer and hey, it works!  The steering is super stiff feeling compared to what came on the car.  You could fart in the back seat and if there was even a whiff of stink it would be enough to steer you into the ditch with the old setup.  Now, you have to make an effort.  Im getting used to it tho and on twistier roads its really really nice.  I now have lock to lock steering without rubbing the K member, frame, strut etc BUT I do have the inevitable tire rub on the fender during hard turns.  The BlueCoupe was the same way on these springs so no shock there.  Ill roll the fender lips and then go from there.  The ride is MUCH improved and it no longer bottoms out the struts on large bumps.  The pump is dead quiet so I no longer sound like an old-timey fire truck anymore but there is some belt chirp thanks to the AC compressor being a little too far forward.  It appears that there is some adjustment left and it might be enough to get it in line.  Im gonna drive it around as is now till the move is a little more sorted but then Ill tackle the rear suspension and see if that helps with some of the remaining harshness in the ride!

Matt

How about some sort of center cap covers and some trim rings like on my buddy's 55?  I think he has two rings.  Maybe the outer ring and the center cover? :shrug: Or would that be too old manish?  I may be showing my age.  LOL. 

IMG_0050.jpg

No way I LOVE black steelies with those bullet lug caps and trim rings BUT these wheels dont seem to look as good as the old-school steelies with beauty rings.  You can find them for these wheels pretty readily but Ive never been a fan.  Im gonna go nuts out till I get the alignment sorted then run the early model Cop covers and maybe see if I can snag a set of the later model lower profile covers down the road to see if I like them better (Joey has some).

Matt

ts1979flh likes this