66sprint6

NewEST DD 1985 LTD WagonTF????

509 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Ashley P said:

And the HOA letter will say....?   lol

Will do my damnedest to never live anywhere I gotta pay to get yelled at for doing what I love.  No HOA round these parts not the new parts either woohoo!

The neighbors on the other hand...some dig it, others poke fun (two I've heard at least).  

Matt

Ashley P and JohnC like this

14 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

Will do my damnedest to never live anywhere I gotta pay to get yelled at for doing what I love.  No HOA round these parts not the new parts either woohoo!

The neighbors on the other hand...some dig it, others poke fun (two I've heard at least).  

Matt

He who laughs last...leaves the longest posi marks??

66sprint6 likes this

I did say I wanted it to be quick...

...but alas I cannot bring myself to do it.  Ill make due.  I did FINALLY get the trans to shift at WOT before the valve float kicks in.  Its probably quicker than the 3.8 that came in it originally...maybe.  Im gonna try to bring up the RPM till it floats and back it back down and then see if I cant make it over to the Hill to see if I can get the slowest slip Ive ever gotten up there before.

What I WONT make is these damned power door locks work right.  I DID however get all my windows to work which is nice but my freakin hands and forearms are cut all to **** and the door locks still dont work.  On this car there is no lock/unlock switch, you push either of the front door plungers up or down and it will lock and unlock the rest.  I put new actuators in every door and now the driver's plunger will make the relay click when locking but not unlocking.  The passenger plunger will make the relay click on both AND the doors will unlock BUT the rear door actuators seem super weak and wont unlock the doors entirely so its worthless.  Im going to do a little more investigating and see if I can get to the bottom of it.  I was going to get to work on the new steering rack but the passenger window fell into the door on the way home from Church so I did all that instead.

Matt

mstrpth and Disney like this

go complete slow poser, I have a set of draglites that are painted black for style points

that you can borrow to show the world what that blue wagon can do !

I might take you up on that down the road.  It looks like I'm ready to make some super slow passes next Tuesday night.  Not gonna touch a thing other than getting it to shift RIGHT before valve float (right now 4200 rpm seems to be all she can handle :o/).  After that I'm gonna try to coax some power outta the setup and see what it'll do.

Replaced both power window relays and they are trying to work but it's almost as if the new actuators don't have the oomph to lock and unlock fully.  Going to open the doors up again and see if I can motivate them some!  Step in the right direction at least.

Matt

Disney likes this

Hope the rain holds out tonight so I can see this thing, but it's not looking good.  However it won't be the first time the weathermen are wrong.

I think this thing would be awesome with a coyote/6 speed swap and some suspension.  Something like an NMRA coyote stock car.

66sprint6 likes this

Hey @Mike we actually closed on the house last night so between that and the chance of rain I figured ide skip this week and go next Tues the 9th.  Dont expect much, this thing is straight and clean but was a door ding magnet in its day apparently so its a little rough around the edges.  Its super solid where it counts tho from what I can tell. 

This car with a Coyote/6speed would be amaaaaaaaaazing.  If I had the cash ide get the body perfectly straight and respray it (same color, I really like it) and do just like you said, Coyote/6speed, some suspension to handle it and then cruise around in 80's comfort looking for trouble.  Right now Ill just polish the turd, slowly work on the suspension side and add some pep to the Exploder combo.

Matt

Just got in from the Hill, ended up having a great time despite being slooooooooooow.  Actually...in all honesty, I was quite a bit quicker than I expected and managed to knock off my Buddy's 18 GT catching him sleeping and was able to hold him off just barely.  2nd time we ran the finish line was just too far out for me to keep him behind me :lol:.  Got 4 runs in before I realized that it wasnt getting any quicker

1) 9.79 at 72.7mph with a 2.25 60ft leaving at idle 

2) 9.82 at 72.46mph with a 2.24 60ft leaving around 1200rpm on the brakes.  I bumped up the 1-2 shift RPM to see if it had anymore left in it but ended up floating the valves at the top of 1st

3) 11.67 at 72.33mph with a 4.07 60 (your read that right).  Lined up against the GT again and tried to get the RPMs up on launch again and pushed thru the brakes.  

4) 9.81 at 72.81mph with 2.24 60ft.  Left at idle, dropped the 1-2 shift RPM slightly but it still floated the valves a tad

Nothing earth shattering but Im impressed considering I havnt touched a single thing outside of getting the trans to shift right from when I bought it.  BONE stock Explorer motor, cam and all.  Shorty gt40P headers, factory Fox 4 cat mid pipe with Dynomax 2.25" Catback and a short cold air pipe and open filter.  87 Octane, dont have a CLUE what the timing is at, what plugs are in it or gapped at etc.  Previous Owner claims it has 3.73 gears but I was finishing the runs in 2nd with plenty of RPM left so not sure if thats true or not.  Ill dig into it a little further when I can.  Now Im gonna look at doing all the cheap/free mods I can to try and get it closer to mid 9's before the season ends then once the house shenanigans are all sorted Ill start throwing the normal mods at it.  Fun was had...made me like the little turd a little more!

Union Hill.jpg

Matt

Tino, Ashley P, Mike and 1 other like this

Got sick as a dog this past weekend but I was able to check a few things out on the LTD before tonights trip to the track.  Original timing was set to 10*, I filled up on 93 and started bumping the timing up and seeing how she liked it.  Im at 18* as it sits and shes happy as can be.  Mid range responded accordingly and the car is much more peppy light to light which is fun.  I also pulled the spare tire and jack out as it was 4 lug and completely useless anyways.  When I started pulling it out I noticed the spare was shiny under the piece of carpet the PO had put over it.  Damned if it isnt an aluminum space saver spare.  I used to look high and low at junkyards for these bastards when I had the BlueCoupe so I could use the wheels as a poor mans drag pack front skinny.  Not much weight removed so nothing doing there either.  I didnt have time to buy a short-belt (shhhh, was wanting to do all the free hacks for these last runs) nor unbolt the front sway bar but I doubt itll matter anyways.  Between the cool air and the extra little bit of timing in the low end she should pick up a tenth or two maybe if Im lucky.  Or spin it all away in the 60 who knows.  Real bolt-ons and a cam will come during the winter but for now Im trying all the old school free hacks LOL.  I installed a small tach on the steering column and ditched the one that was on the car and it appears that the valves float closer to 5500rpm which seems more likely than what the old tach was saying.  I adjusted the 1-2 shift rpm down another step and left the 2-3 where it is.  9.5's?  Probably not but who cares, Im gonna freeze my ass off tonight and have some fun in the ugly POS either way!

EDIT  Looks like rain BOOOO

Matt

Well, enough was enough and I finally got to work throwing parts at the suspension on the turd.  I want it to be comfortable and safe, not stiff and noisy.  Not asking too much.  After much thinking I finally realized something.  2015 was 3 years ago and hover conversions  for Fox bodies are getting more and more affordable so why not??!?!?

IMG_20181021_141821975_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181021_141832477.jpg

Dont I wish!  I bet it would ride super cush then!  In reality Im just replacing worn out bushings, ball joints, struts and the likes with stock replacement junk.  I worked for two days and the view isnt much better than the picture.  Lower control arm bushings were annoying but I took my time and eventually got them out and new ones in.  Couldnt find a bushing tool local so I made my own to get me by.

IMG_20181021_120709557.jpg  

Did the job and the arms are back on the car.  I swapped out the sway bar bushings as well as the driver's side was shot.  In fact, everything on the drivers side was shot.  Control arm bushings, ball joint, the strut and the inner tie rod were all noticeably worse off than the passenger side.  I was thinking about keeping the springs as I like the idea of V6 springs under the V8 for drag racing and a decent ride BUT I got to looking at the inner fender and where the tires were making contact and it was...well, everywhere.  I thought for sure the springs were cut stockers but they appear to just be super tires stockers so out they go.  This is where Im at a stand-still.  I was looking at doing some Strange 10 ways and coilovers but decided to save some cash and get some Monroe OEM style struts for cheap and run them till I get a better idea of what I want out of this thing.  Now I NEED a front spring and have to decide between a couple OEM offerings or look into a coilover setup again.  I THINK I have my old V8 Fox springs off the BlueCoupe still in the shed and if so, thats likely what Ill try first because they are available but I really liked the 4 banger setup I had swapped them for.  Ride was nice and the car hooked nice with the swaybar removed and some Mickey's at the track.  Anyways, once I get the front put back together Ill move on to the rear and do the same.  I have some unknown lower control arms that were tossed in with the car when I bought it and found my old uppers off the Coupe.  Im going to box them and replace the bushings and then the suspension SHOULD feel a lot better.

Oh and these wheels arent going back on if I can help it.  They are too tall, offset is way wrong and they rub all over everything in the front.  Im either going to pick up some Crown Vic wheels or splurge on some 17" black Bullitts but either way should take care of the clearance issues for good.

Matt

Disney likes this

I'm looking real hard at em man, would make ride height easy!  I believe that if im not happy with the (free) stock LX springs then it's gonna be coilover time.

Matt

Took the day off yesterday for my Birthday and decided to get this thing rolling FINALLY!!!!!!

Got the springs out of the shed and found two sets rather than just the one I thought I had.  Matched them up and realized that I had the V8 springs out of the BlueCoupe like I had thought and another set of 4 banger Fox springs.  I dont remember buying these, as I bought a brand new set for the Coupe and those went to Brodie when I sold the car as a roller.  Unfortunately, the V8  springs were really rusty and around where the lower seat pad was it was pitted so deep I didnt dare waste my time putting them in.  Here they are with the LTD 6 banger springs.

IMG_20181026_082708386.jpg

Picture makes em out to look better than they are.

The 4 banger springs look amazing in comparison so after some thinking I said what the hell and got to work.  I did the 4 banger springs on the LX as a cheapo drag setup and had thought about doing the same to the LTD but Brodie said he didnt have the springs from the BlueCoupe anymore so I tossed the idea out.  Guess I get to see how they do afterall!  If they dont work, Ill yank em out and go coilover, no big deal.

After working hard and not smart and wearing my self and my patience out, I got my wits about me and got the passenger side done in no time flat.  (funny how that works)

IMG_20181026_082715888.jpg

The dust shields had been cracked in half and mangled.  I was going to drill the rivets and find some nice ones off a junkyard donor but decided to bend them back and tack them back together.  Had to do both sides but they are solid now.  

Unfortunately a small headache, no doubt from my failure of a morning, decided to turn into a migraine right as I was finally getting some momentum and I had to walk away (and try not to puke) part way thru the drivers side.

IMG_20181026_082743725.jpg 

Ill get back on it this weekend tho and maybe one day drive the bastard around some again.  Im supposed to be getting things painted and cleaned up at the new house and moved over from the old house which is why Im piddle dicking around with this but its also keeping me from doing the latter as well so I need to finish and focus back on the house or itll never happen!  Oh...and these wheels got to go.  Im gonna try to make a decision on which direction I want to go this weekend and try to get them ordered up asap.

Matt

mstrpth likes this

Another weekend of picking at the LTD between packing, moving and painting and shes back on the ground...temporarily.

IMG_20181029_081343529.jpg

When I was looking at buying new springs I saw that the same part # was used for the V6 LTD and 4 banger Fox's.  The springs that came out of the car are noticeably taller than the 4 banger springs but they very well may have the same or similar spring rates (or both are equally wore slap out).  I havnt rolled the car to settle everything but It appears these springs are just as low.  Ill drive it around and see how it acts, if it still rides like pooh then Ill ditch em.

I moved onto the steering yesterday during what little time I could muster.  Old whining Ford power steering pump is out and the new Saginaw swap is complete.  

IMG_20181029_081429519.jpg

I did this to my truck a while back (much easier) and loved the silence and the power of the pump.  That was a simple grab and go just making sure to get the right hose and your set.  On the Fox's you need a pump, bracket and pulley then you have to adjust the flow down to 2gph and pressure to roughly 800psi and finally you have to take an E350 and a Fox high pressure hose and make them one (will be doing this once I get the rack in).  Everything went together super easy and was looking good till I noticed the pulley alignment was WAY off.  The pulley is a truck pulley and its offset is different than the Fox pulley.  There was JUST enough room between the pump and the bracket to allow the difference to be made up in the pump mounting spacers.  I made a couple adjustments, put the pulley back on and took a straight edge across the crank pulley and everything appears to be happy.  Will only really know when I fire it up and see how the belt acts.  I need to get the new rack on, bumpsteer kit installed, have the two hoses spliced, get the new wheels and tires in and together and then itll be back on the road again FINALLY!

Matt

mstrpth likes this

Between loads to and from the new house I got a little more done on the Wagon.  Got the new wheels and tires on.  16" Crown Vic steelies with some 225/55/16 Coopers.  Should ride nice and grip well.  I snagged some early cop lug covers to see if I liked them.  Might get a set of the Ranger/later model cop covers to try too next time im at Pull and Save.  Can run without the caps and it looks good as well.

IMG_20181104_111923986_HDR.jpg

.IMG_20181104_111948398_HDR.jpg

Ive always liked these wheels on the LTD/Fairmonts.  Will take a bit to get used to the anti-bling factor but if they ride nice and allow me fill lock steering and dont rub on everything then COOL!  Speaking of which...the rear has SN95 axles and brakes so the rears were really close to the MASSIVE wheel lip these things have.  Little bit of slicing and dicing and they should live happily in there now.  New power steering hose to mate the Saginaw pump to the Mustang rack is being made as we speak and then I have everything I need to get it going again.  

Matt

Mike, Tino, mstrpth and 1 other like this

I never liked the previous wheels, even on the Mustangs they came on but they REALLY looked off on this car.  Its taking me some time to get used to the lack of pizazz I guess you can call it but they look much better to me AND the rubber is much much much better than what was on there before.  Im going to black out some of the chrome (not all I like some of it) to help subdue it a little more which will add to the look and then I hope to be able to put some serious miles on the ole Ding King.

Part of me kinda wants to source an old pillar mounted spot light for it now...

Matt

JohnC likes this