66sprint6

NewEST DD 1985 LTD WagonTF????

506 posts in this topic

Bit of an off night at the Hill.  For everyone it seems, not just me.  Rick didnt show up till an hour after the lanes are usually opened and the track is running so we did alot of standing around early on.  It was hot hot hot when we finally got going.  Off the bat, I was having issues with the line lock so I went back to foot braking the burnout which was no biggie. 

First run was against a C7 Stingray on a tire.  Tried my usual 5K launch and BLEW the tires clean off and had to pedal quite a bit.  I kept with it and outran him pretty handily despite the lack of grip. 

Next run I switched to the right lane and he went to the left.  I abandoned the line lock all together just to speed things up and then tried another 5k launch.  Spin city again, pedaled a bit but he was nowhere to be found at the end of the run.  Apparently the left lane was slicker than the right and he had some issues. 

Third run I line up against a GTR with exhaust and a tune.  Launch was a tad better, 1.74 60ft and I was out on him by a BUNCH.  Which was good...cause I missed 3rd.  Only slightly, I was ahead and he was charging pretty quick and I wanted to stay there so I found 3rd and hammered down and he started going backwards again and I kept him behind me. 

Fourth run was against a 392 Charger.  I went to footbrake the burnout and she bogged hard and I had to bail.  He was already staging so I did my best to spin em to the line and called it good enough.  I launched real easy, 1.9 60ft and once again...missed 3rd...badly.  Like it felt like DECADES before I found it again and pretty much coasted to my slowest run of the night...and I was still out almost half a second on the Charger. 

I realized that my hands were sweaty and so was the shift knob so I wiped both religiously before my last run of the evening (against a dodge dakota on a tire thats always out there) to see if maybe it would help and I got my whits about me.  Just for snicks I went back to the line lock and got a rowdy burnout in.  Said hell with it, loaded it to 5500rpm and dumped the clutch.  BOOM, she hooked and I was off.  I was so excited about finally hooking up (so damned much fun) that I short shifted the 1-2 shift at 7K but nailed the 2-3 shift no problem.  Best run of the night time wise, tho no personal best.  7.65 at 92.04mph with a 1.64 60ft.  Ill take it considering the slick track, 90* and 2934 DA.

If it were just time slips I was after it would be a bit of a bummer of a night BUT to knock off a Stingray, GTR and the 392 Charger felt good.  There was a 6th gen SS auto out there with longtubes and a tire that I wanted to run but we never could make it happen.  There was also a GT350 but he was spinning his way to low 9's but sounded amazing doing so.  There was also a super quick C5 Z06 rowing the gears to 7.0's!

@goattdogg was aiming to crack into the 8's with his new mods and ran an 8.5 on his first pass with a 1.8 60 on street tires!!!  He ran a bunch of 9.1's after that but apparently he used up all the grip early LOL.  Fun night even if it was hot and slick!  Im hoping the track prep was subpar because Rick wasnt there and this isnt a sign of how things will be from here on out.

Matt

JohnC, Disney, Mike and 2 others like this

I don't get how all those cars are behind you.

A GTR is AWD!

Most have traction control, too.

Plus some had a tire even?

That track and the prep must have sucked bad, but still....

Was it crowded or just a few cars there?

I guess I suck at driving slightly less than them is all I can figure :lol:

It was crowded, but there were lots of really nice street cars out there to line up with and see what happens!  Track was slicker than usual, at least at first BUT I was running on the same prep so Ill take it!  If the prep woulda been better they woulda all been faster...and so would I.  I was nearly half a second off my best till the last run.  The GTR guy was green but I still dont get it, those suckers are so tech advanced, I thought they drove themselves.  I talked to him for a while and he was really cool.  He was up there with the 392 car, a couple Vette's and a Camaro I believe as well.  You need to come out and let the SS show off.  There was another gorgeous black 5th gen ZL1 out there that you woulda murdered, the slower Hellcat on a tire didnt show but the faster one who's always out there did...no touching him but hes part of only a very very few street cars that you wouldnt be able to handle.

Matt

JohnC likes this

I gave him my all expecting him to be out on me early and that Ide be watching his entire run.  I even treed his ass figuring the ONLY chance I had if even that.  After that a bunch of people were talkin next to the cars and sayin he spun like crazy off the line :???:.  I hope to see him again out there working on it.  If he gets his stuff together Ide like to run him again but he told me he had turbos on the way and was gonna go E85 soon.  Either way, faster car doesnt always win.

Matt

Last night the weather held out and we were able to have some fun at the Hill.  @goattdogg with his Ecoboost ran in the 8's all night without a single 9 second pass which is good stuff.  I got two runs in, both in the mid 7's before calling it a night due to my clutch pedal sticking to the floor at the end of the 2nd run.  Appears to be a very common issue so I ordered up a stainless clutch line and some fluid to flush the system and start fresh.

Pass 1:  5k launch.  Spun all the way through first but it was rolling out so I let it do its thing then slightly short shifted 2nd to get it to hook.  I didnt pay attention to the tach for shift RPM and just did the run by feel really. 7.63 at 92.73 mph with a 1.69 60ft.

Pass 2:  5500 rpm launch letting the clutch out slightly slower than a dump but not really slipping it much.  Hooked much better with only a slight spin.  Shifted at 7800rpm each shift and when I pushed the clutch in after the traps she stuck to the floor but came back after the rpms came down a bit.  Acted funny after that heading to the pits but recovered for the ride home later that night and is fine today.  7.53 at 93.16 mph with a 1.62 60ft.  

I datalogged the last pass succesfully FINALLY and checked it out last night.  Appears that I launched around 5500 but it spiked upwards of 6500 before the RPM dip that comes with the clutch dump and tires hooking.  That musta been the slight clutch slip I did.  I also noticed that the speed went up 10 mph or so on the 1-2 shift then back down where it should have been and carried on from there.  Slight tire spin maybe?  Finally on the 2-3 shift it appears that I touched the limiter ever so slightly as the RPMs go down and then back up a bit before the clutch was pushed and they dropped for the shift.  Ive seen the same jagged up and down motion on 3rd gear pulls that I purposefully bounce it off the limiter.  Guess I need to back off the RPM a bit on the shifts to stay off it.  I didnt hear or feel anything like that but its in the log.  I might try to log more of my runs and see if I can pick up some time for it. 

Both runs were against a gorgeous Roush 427R which was running mid to low 8's all night except against me (his first two runs as well) which he spun bad and then ran a high 8 next run.  He got quicker as the night wore on.

Matt

Ashley P and keiths2kgt like this

I'm finally gonna ask......goatdogg....is he provoking me?  :shiftyeyes:  lol

Glad you had fun, and WHERE'S THE MULTIPLE CAMERA ANGLE VIDEO??!!??     lol

66sprint6 likes this

And just like that...

Bye Bye.jpg

...shes back to stock (mostly) and gone.

Dont ask why.  Theres not really a reason, was just kinda ready for something different.  I think maybe the fact that I would need a clutch and half-shafts soon, so $2400 or so just to stay the same performance level.  Pretty much my only gripe with the car, it was amazing otherwise.  Didnt NEED the money or to free up the car payment either really.  I put $7K down on the ST however many years ago and was able to roll that same amount into the GT when I traded.  Today I got $7300 over what I owed so it came back to me again.  Again, didnt NEED it BUT it is kinda nice considering we just put an offer on a house out of the blue and it was excepted! 

Anyways, not 100% sure whats next but itll be older and cheap, leaning towards a Fox of some sort or other but im just kinda seeing what hits me.  Gonna drive the truck and 66 till I find something.  Already missin it but its time for something different!  Ill have another thats for sure!

Matt

Posted (edited)

Insert Buford T Justice:  "You sumbi$%" 

I mean, shoot, now I can't even live a manual trans vicariously!   lol  

Edit:  Of course, it's your car, your life.  Glad you've got money in hand. 

PS  Want something old and simple?  I've got an 88 S10 that needs an LS swap.  Lot's of sleeper patina on it.  $5k tonight.   Or tomorrow. :dirty:

Edited by Ashley P
Tino likes this

Oh Ill still be going!!!  I just wont be running and if I am it wont be mid 7's anymore :o/  Ide like to get the 66 out there some here soon and Johnathan will still bo goin with his EcoBoost car!

Matt

54 minutes ago, Mike said:

Dang, who’s gonna go to the hill with me now?  I saw the header sale add on facebook and was wondering what was up.

Well, I bet Matt will go with NO car sooner than JohnC will WITH a car.  :D  

(Yes, I know that with 25 cars on my property the only thing that runs is my mouth.)  :doh:

66sprint6, mstrpth, Disney and 1 other like this

HA!  Likely so.  I almost went last night after dropping off the GT but tucked my tail and went home instead.  Ill be back out there in something or other soon enough!

Matt

JohnC likes this

Dangit! :wall:

Well, I was getting close. I was going to the dyno next month and fixing up the exhaust issues, too.

The vibrations from the pipe touching the suspension might have been helping cause some false knock. We'll see once Mike get's to tack-weld it up.

Last things I needed to do was another catch can between CAI tube and passengers side pcv on the valve cover, and then a trans cooler.

@Mike we will be racing together. I've just had a lot going on, but free time to race is on the way!

@66sprint6 you'll have another new 5.0 soon. I know you can't live without one long. :love:

66sprint6 likes this

Yeah I wish we coulda got together but I wont be outta the go (marginally) fast game for long.  Ill hopefully find another fun little car that I can have fun in and put around as a daily.  I will have another Coyote car in the future for sure tho, they are like Fox's, cant get em outta your blood.  Now...if I could only afford a Coyote Fox...THAT would be the ticket!!!

One day!

Right now all car plans are on a short hold until we get the loan on the new house sorted (down payment, earnest money etc) and then I can go on the hunt.  If push comes to shove, the cash that I got from the GT will go towards that and then when we sell the old house I will take it back out of the profits.  Couple months at the worst but Im trying to figure out a way to work around it if possible.  We will see how it pans out as the deal gets ironed out.

Matt

1 hour ago, Disney said:

I was almost upset at this new house thing but then remembered you are never at your current house so it will just save me some trips. 

LOL!

11 hours ago, Disney said:

I was almost upset at this new house thing but then remembered you are never at your current house so it will just save me some trips. 

Yeah literally one of only a couple things that blows about the move.  Everything else is lining up really nicely and we stand to really benefit from it all.  I will be across town but know the way to your shop well lol. It'll be a bit before we close and get to moving...got some work to do between now and then.

Matt

5 hours ago, mstrpth said:

I've been MIA for a few weeks and come back to

-you sold your car

-Mike turned his into a partial swimming pool.

Hey, all I did to mine was a set of new DWS 09's. :D