66sprint6

NewER DD 2015 Mustang GT

430 posts in this topic

Gonna head to the Hill tonight and see if I can shake out any issues that I picked up after the Longtube install.  On the street shes acting much much happier since welding up the collector and removing the offending AC bracket but the only way to tell is to see how she gets down the track.  IF I can get outta here early enough Im gonna toss the Bias Ply's in the trunk and try them out as well.  Hopefully I can also remember to grab some datalogs from the runs as well.  Its gonna be hot so Im not gonna hope for much but Ide be happy to see my MPH back up and maybe (if I run the Mickey's) work on getting my 60's down to a respectable level.  The rest will work itself out in time.

Matt

Ashley P and JohnC like this

4 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Gonna head to the Hill tonight.................  Im gonna toss the Bias Ply's in the trunk and try them out as well.  ........... work on getting my 60's down to a respectable level.  The rest will work itself out in time.

Matt

It's my BD so I might be be in a condition to come get you if the axles exit stage right!

66sprint6 likes this

18 hours ago, Disney said:

It's my BD so I might not be in a condition to come get you if the axles exit stage right!

HA!!!  I actually thought about that before hand!  I told Kathleen to be on call just in case and figured Ide just push it outside the gate and me and you could come get it when you recovered :lol:

17 hours ago, Ashley P said:

And JohnC.....absent?  WORKING, no doubt...   (isthechevyskeeered?) :) 

I did alot of waffling on whether or not I was going to even have time to go, if I was going to run the Bias Ply's or just street tires etc so I only just posted up in here about going and didnt even think to try to see if he was free dangit.  After last night tho Ill be out there ever single Tuesday I can make it thats for sure.  Which leads me to the runs themselves!

I ended up getting enough done at work to leave a tad early so I loaded up the Bias Ply's and a jack and hit the road.  I figured it would be good to see how quick I could get the wheels swapped and into the lanes and if I would be able to make enough passes for it to be worth my time.  I got there a little after 6 and was 2nd in the lanes after doing the swap.  Not bad!  It was 93* out according to the car, 86* according to website and DA was roughly 2588 so I figured it would be a rough night ET and MPH wise but would be a good time to get the launch sorted and 60's down.  I figured Ide still like to beat my previous best and maybe get into the 7.7x range as my goal.

Run 1.  I did a baby launch, 3500 rpm dumping the clutch and stabbing the throttle.  Car dead hooked and bogged ever so slightly.  It hooked up hard enough that I couldnt see the tach over the bottom of my helmet so I was off on my shifts.  I believe I shifted 1-2 around 7K and dont have a clue on the 2-3 LOL

7.75 @ 90.72mph with a 1.75 60ft.  DAMN.  New PB 60ft and so close to being my new PB but just shy.  

6-19 Run 1.jpg

Went back to the pits, checked the torque on the rear lugs outta being paranoid and headed back for another run.

Run 2.  Bumped up the launch RPM to 4000-4500 RPM and made sure I kept an eye on the tach hoping to squeak out some time with a little more RPM.  On street tires I would shift 1-2 around 6500-7K because it limited tire spin a tad and I was always quicker for it.  On these tires I wanted to try ringing its neck on every shift so I did.  Aaaaaand then I missed 3rd.  I didnt even try to get it back in gear.  I missed it and coasted the rest of the track in neutral laughing at myself.  

8.18 @ 68.36 mph with a 1.67 60ft.  WOOHOO at the 60 DAAAAAAAMN at the missed shift.

6-19 Run 2.jpg

Got back in the lanes but they were running motorcycles so I was able to give the smelly clutch a couple minute break and ask the car nicely to let me have just a couple more runs and that I would do my best to not do that again to it.

Run 3.  5000 RPM launch, shifting around 7500-7800 and I did a slightly slower, yet still quick shift into 3rd to make damned sure I hit it this time.

7.66 @ 92.24 mph with a 1.66 60ft.  HELL YEAH!  Personal Bests across the board.  The extra RPM paid off on both ends of the track, especially the MPH which is back to where it was before the longtubes on a radial.

6-19 Run 3.jpg

Clutch was smellin up the joint (always is) so I hit the pits and let it have a break.  I was dying of heat exhaustion anyways so I took advantage of the break and hit up the concession stand.  They decided to take that time to finish off last week's racing that got rained out so there was about a 30-45 minute span that they paused TNT and let them run.  After that I got back in line and figured Ide get one or two more passes and try to get a "Glory Pass".

Run 4.  5500 RPM launch, shifting around 7800 rpm both shifts.  Got slightly out of the groove at the 2-3 shift and it started swaying quite a bit BUT it wasnt bad enough to lift so I just lightly leaned it away from the wall side and finished the run.  Glad I did too...it felt quick...it was quick!

7.55 @ 92.72 MPH with a 1.62 60ft.  I got the slip, almost stalled the car in surprise driving away and immediately headed for the pits. 

6-19 Run 4.jpg

Sucker has more in it than even I was expecting.  It made more on the dyno (without longtubes) than I was expecting but I figured it was reading high that day, now this!  Its got more in it too.  Get into that 1.5x 60ft range in some cool air...  I didnt end up racing anyone worth a flip, mostly a bunch of pickups and the last run was against a STUPID loud BMW but there was a heavily modded C5 Z06 on a tire there running high 7's and a stock Hellcat on a tire running similar times but I couldnt ever get next to either one.  Thats ok tho, allowed me to focus on getting things figured out...I can go hunting another time.  @JohnC is only a tire and getting his tune sorted away from smoking me but Im still very happy with what my hodge-podge of used parts and shady driving ability has in it!

6-19 Union Hill.jpg

Matt

Ashley P, mstrpth, Disney and 3 others like this

Posted (edited)

Wow:eeek:. :up:

(John is working OT now googling more bolt ons.)

Edit:  If you can upshift a 7800 you can leave the line at 7800!  :D

How'd that 1.62 feel?  Helmet weigh 50 lbs?  :)   Nice....

Edited by Ashley P
Tino, 66sprint6 and keiths2kgt like this

Felt amazing.  All of em felt amazing as Im used to 1) slipping the clutch 2) spinning/hopping 3) pedaling 4) short shifting 5) spinning 2nd.  Not with these tires.  Rev it up, dump the clutch and hammer the shifts.  I got used to the helmet push after the first run and got a good feel for the Bias Ply/Radial front tire combo without even thinking about it.  Im gonna bump up the launch RPM slowly over the next runs to see what it likes.  These tires are MUCH easier on the half shafts due to NO wheel hop at all BUT I imagine I will find their limits in the next couple 500rpm increases off the line.  Im thinking Ill put together some cash for a clutch and then look at biting the bullet on some beefier half-shafts.  Its too much fun not to go flog the piss out of this car right now!  Wish I had bought these tires as the first mod along with a tune and then gone from there!

Matt

Deleting 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 (above) was a lot of gain.

What are your first gear and rear end ratios?  You must be geared well to not bog much with a 1.62.  With my car it make a big difference if I was WOT at the dump.  4500 part throttle dump would bog bad, but 4500 and WOT at release it was a mlld bog.  So if you feel like risking EVERY driveline part, try WOT before the dump.

66sprint6 likes this

It bogged noticeably on the first run but not the typical "fall on its face" bog.  All runs after that it just **** and git.  I believe 1st is 3.66 and it has 3.73 rear gear.  Im impressed and still feeling the adrenaline from it all.  I already cant wait for next Tues!

Matt 

Ashley P likes this

Keep an eye on tire slip on the wheel.  I'm not an expert on what evils that can entail, but mine slipped about 1" in 10 launches.

66sprint6 likes this

I meant to mark them but never did.  Ill look into it.  Disney mounted them up dry so they would have a fighting chance to not slip on the wheel.  

Matt

Ashley P likes this

Nice #'s! :w00t:

I wanted to go. I had told the wife we were going. I was going to show up unannounced. :D

Then work called and begged me to come in for OT. In a moment of weakness, I agreed to come in. :smirk:

You know, The Hill is always a slower track than Beech Bend. You should take it up to BB on a street night and see what it does. :yes:

I would need some suspension work to run slicks and possibly a 1LE iron diff with some good axles.

Last time out I tried to stall up once and it wheel hopped bad and spun.

66sprint6 likes this

I always keep an eye out for you just in case!  Yeah I was already happy with the times and the sheer amount of fun I was having but the times mean more to me considering how hot it was and that it was at the Hill.  Hopefully means there is more in it!!!

I want to get out the Beech Bend again one evening but its a bit of a haul for me especially on a Tues night.  Might have to try to get out there one weekend tho, I see they do Sat night races.

You dont need slicks, you need a good drag radial and your golden with it being an Auto.  I would love to be able to use a radial rather than a Bias Ply so I could drive it to and from without worrying about it BUT now that Ive tasted what traction is truly like...Im ok with changing at the track!!!

Matt 

Another thing I forgot to mention is that Im so used to rolling into the throttle and slipping the clutch out that I was red-lighting like crazy Tues night.  Im gonna have to slow myself down on the tree now that I can just dump the clutch and go.  :lol:

Matt

JohnC likes this

You mentioned driver mod in John's thread, and you say you missed third.  You better work on your tricept.  Latin baby, tribus = three, cept = gear.  The muscle named for banging 3rd. ;)   (Well, in Goat Latin, anyway.)

66sprint6 and Tino like this

Im working on my Trans Tune just as hard as JohnC and Gammey, you can count on that.  Every day, multiple times per drive Im dialing it in and tweaking it till its as close to perfect as I can get it.  Tuning that 2-3 flare up out is tough but itll go away for weeks and then pop back up randomly for a run or two :lol:  

I dont even blame the smelly/tired/woreslapout clutch either, Im betting I got ahead of myself in excitement and just whiffed it.  It happens.  Part of the fun of trying to be quick in a manual car.  Still makes me smile to get out and slam a couple gears down the track so Ill stick with it!

Matt

Ashley P likes this

Tune that shift, boy!  Daily beatings are the best to hone your hand/eye/ear/feet coordination.  I just wish I was the fly on the dashboard.

66sprint6 likes this

Ive picked up alot by quickening up my normal shifting and then trying to make it smooth and comfortable for anyone riding with me.  Helps take my MIND out of the process and makes it an action.  When I over-think it sometimes I goof it up especially at the track.  Previous quickest run I had was against that ZL1 and I didnt care about times, I just wanted to try and out run him so thinking went out the window and I just did it.  Couple more trips to the track on these tires and Ill have it much more consistent (outside of missed shifts lol).

Matt

Ashley P likes this

Dang it!  I'm trying to work and all I can think about is a clutch dump!  Thanks a lot!   lol  (Replacing a 4.2 and automatic is no fun anyway.)

66sprint6 likes this

Was raining cats and dogs as I was trying to load up the leave and we contemplated not going at all but decided to take a chance and see what happened. 

Headed out.jpg

Ended up being dry the the Hill so I got to work getting the tires swapped while my buddies got in the lanes.  I ended up getting in line right as they moved to the bikes so I had to wait.  Got in for my first run, launched at 5k RPM, dead hooked and good shifts after.

7.52@93.54 with a 1.61 60

IMG_20180626_234830215.jpg

Heck yeah, barely dropped the 60 and the ET picked up a tad as did the MPH!  Got back in line for a hot lap and was prepared to launch a little harder BUT I got all the way to next in line and they decided to move on to the week before's Quick 8, then Outlaw and Bikes and before I could go again, the rain set in.  I got soaked getting the tires swapped back and we hit the road.  I'm bummed I didn't get another run in but happy to have another personal best, no matter how slight the difference lol.  

Matt

keiths2kgt and Ashley P like this