66sprint6

NewER DD 2015 Mustang GT

430 posts in this topic

I spent some time a while back making both tips identical (can now switch them from side to side without noticing any difference) and had to tack the passenger side muffler to the resonator in order to keep it in place, clamps werent doin it.  Anyways, nothing much to post but the tips now look just right!  When/if I trade these mufflers I will likely try to push the tips inward a bit but will have to cut the pipe coming out of the muffler but thats another small detail for another day.

4.5%20tips_zpszhu5rhth.jpg

4.5%20Tips%202_zpsbhjju6dg.jpg

4.5%20Tips%203_zpsre8dhpos.jpg

Matt

JohnC and mstrpth like this

No, I was looking to trade for the Touring version of the Corsa's.  When I put an X pipe on this itll be super loud and the Tourings will be slightly louder than it is now which is what Im after.  If I cant put a trade together Ill consider selling these to then buy what I want.

Matt

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_20161123_092116349_zpshp23u1ul.jpg

Lady in opposite lane on New Salem hit a deer last night sending it into my lane.  I swerved best I could without going into the ditch but it wasnt enough.  Damned thing tap danced all the way down the driver's side of the car but its only cosmetic.  Off to the body shop as we speak.  I swear, the ST gobbled up a Turkey Buzzard and a Road Gator and now this.  Me and new cars :no:

Matt

At least I didn't do more. I hit one in my daily 3 or 4 weeks ago and it totaled it. So new daily for me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah luckily for the GT the other lady hit it first and laid it over or else it would probably be the end of the GT.  Maybe not tho, her car was messed up pretty bad but still ran fine...at least for the couple seconds I saw of her driving away.  Not entirely sure how she was able to SEE her way home at night with her headlights all jacked up but thats another story.

Matt

JohnC likes this

Snapped a pic of the janky exhaust while Chris Coffee had it up on a lift taking some measurements for a project he's working on.

IMG_20161128_171111234_zpsvu4moqe4.jpg

Generic X pipe didnt fit for **** so I had to do some work on it and everything is clamped and tacked together for the time being until I decided I was happy.  Im not quite so I have some Vibrant Resonators on the way to try and tone down some of the WOT rasp.  When they come in they will be welded to the X pipe and the small section of stock pipe will be welded up.  The 2.5"-3" will also be welded so that the only place left using the clamp/tack method will be the axleback itself just in case I decide to swap it OR put a different midpipe in.  I will eventually get it where Im happy.

Heres a cruddy video of a cold start with the new setup.  The video doesnt show how loud it is and definitely hides the nasty rasp under heavy throttle/rev.  Outside of the rasp and wake the dead cold start volume it actually sounds pretty good.  

I will post back up once Ive got the resonators in place!

Matt

JohnC likes this

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:13 AM, JohnC said:

That SUCKS! Sorry to hear.

Your not alone. My 97 GT got some deer in 98.

a few years back I was in the middle of no where (Cumberland Furnace) at night and hit two deer at the same time. They were following each other. Took out both headlights leaving me stranded. Had to walk a few miles to get phone service.

I had a similar incident when I was younger.  Was driving my parents Suburban and came across two deer on a backroad with no shoulder and nowhere to go.  I couldnt stop in time and was afraid I would wreck even harder if I tried to avoid them so I aimed to go between them and try to soften the blow a little and braced for impact...but there wasnt any.  I came to a stop, got out of the truck and walked to the back.  The deer were still there and we stared at each other for what felt like an hour before they took off into the woods.  It was a pucker moment for sure but the best part was the long clean streak down the passenger side of the truck along with the splatter of what I could only imagine was deer ****.  I essentially wiped one of the deers asses with my Dads truck LOL.

This is the first deer ive hit out of countless close calls so Im pretty thankful to have been so lucky all this time.

Matt

Ashley P likes this

Ok, Im finally pretty happy with the exhaust.  I wish there was a way to do a mid mount chambered muffler setup but the gas tank wont allow it.  I hate rear mount muffler setups but anyways.  Added some 12" Vibrant Resonators to the X pipe and now all the rasp that was buggin me is gone and cold starts are no longer "wake the dead" loud which is all I wanted to fix.  The volume is toned down slightly and the pitch is a little deeper but Im enjoying it so far.  I think this setup will stay for a while...at least until I toss some longtubes on, then I will likely add another couple of these resonators.

Matt

Sounds good.

I put cat delete pipes on mine last week.  They just delete the primary cats, so the secondaries are still there.  It has more rasp and some drone at 13-1500 rpm, but not too bad.  If/when I remove the secondaries, I have a set of magnaflow resonators ready to go on.  I want to keep it sounding as close to stock as possible.

66sprint6 and JohnC like this

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Sounds good.

I put cat delete pipes on mine last week.  They just delete the primary cats, so the secondaries are still there.  It has more rasp and some drone at 13-1500 rpm, but not too bad.  If/when I remove the secondaries, I have a set of magnaflow resonators ready to go on.  I want to keep it sounding as close to stock as possible.

Are you sure?

Can you resist?

The caddy has all that sound deadening in there for right? :dunno:

I'll never say I'm sure.  But for now I'm really enjoying it being quiet.  I drove the family and my Mom to cookeville this weekend to visit my brother.  3 hour ride and no-one complained about noise.  It is a Cadillac after all.

There is quite a bit of sound deadening.  Most guys that do headers say they don't really hear any difference inside unless they floor it.

JohnC likes this

For once I actually wanted this Mustang to be somewhat civil as we enjoy road tripping it like crazy and dont want to drone my wife or myself to death.  This new setup has absolutely zero drone and is absolutely silent when at a steady cruise or going down a hill etc. yet you can hear it quite well when leaning on the throttle to go up a hill or get up to speed and it roars when you push it.  I like the sound level and lack of drone very very much...just isnt that oldschool chambered muffler sound I love but Ill get used to the new sound.

Matt

Does your 15 have the same stupid" sound tube" that runs fron the air box line to the firewall that a '14 does .

just plugged mine , much quieter inside the car

Yeah it does.  Not sure mine ever worked but I snatched it outta there a while back.  I did the same with my Focus ST back in the day as well, it worked sometimes didnt others so I tossed it in the garbage.  On the GT I didnt notice any change so Im pretty sure mine was either broken OR the Magandrones droned so bad I didnt even notice it working lol.

Matt

I hear BMW does that too Diz, that blows!  Its a neat enough idea, now that the cabins on newer cars are so damned quiet you no longer can hear the motor doing its thing so they pipe it in the let you hear it more.  On the Fords its just a hose coming off the intake and a little flapper valve opens up when you smack on the throttle allowing induction noise into the cabin.  Its sounds neat and all but with an exhaust and an open filter under the hood I hear plenty thanks!!!

Matt

JohnC likes this

6 hours ago, Disney said:

On our newer 370Z's we have it piped in through the stereo system and you can't turn the crap off.

Wow.  What "focus group" recommended that???

Ide burn the car to the GROUND if it had a "random rattle track" piped into the speakers LOL.

Couple days in and the sound level and tone have finally settled to a constant...and I actually kinda like it.  Its a little louder which works out perfect, still no rasp what-so-ever and the tone is a little closer to the 2v/3v/4v 4.6 cars which is nice.  Again, without mid mount mufflers it will never be the same but its got a unique burble to it and it sounds good going thru the gears so Im done with it for now.  Longtubes may be on the horizon but not for a while more than likely.  Gonna do some general maintenance this weekend and then try to get my hands on a laptop (that works) so I can send some datalog info to Lund to do some driveability tweaks.  Then on the 14th its off to the body shop finally!

Matt

JohnC likes this

Hey Matt,

How do you like the Lund flex fuel tune? I've been thinking about a tune for a while...still not sure lol

On 1/2/2017 at 5:10 PM, keiths2kgt said:

Hey Matt,

How do you like the Lund flex fuel tune? I've been thinking about a tune for a while...still not sure lol

Love it!  Im on my second revision and its smooth and runs strong.  The best parts are that the Clutch Protection is gone and they made the throttle feel slightly more linear, more like a cable style setup altho its still not perfect (much better than stock at least).  Power is amazing as well.  At first the car was somewhat choppy at light throttle around town, especially when cold.  Sent them a datalog and they sorted it out nearly perfect.  Still a slight hesitation around 2700rpm so Ill send another and get it ironed out flat.  I filled up with E85 last fillup as an experiment and have been enjoying it.  I want to see what the mpg difference vs cost and see if its worth running more often.  More than likely I will send out another 93 octane log and get one final revision to smooth things out perfect then try a couple E85 revisions to get the most out of it and see what it does at Union Hill next season.  Long story short, I highly recommend it.  

OH, I went with a used SCT X4 and had to buy a laptop (mine broke) in order to datalog but if you buy the NGuage apparently you can datalog from it?  I dunno, something to think about when buying a tuner.  Either way, Lund is really good to work with and Im glad I went with them.

Matt

JohnC and keiths2kgt like this