66sprint6

NewER DD 2015 Mustang GT

323 posts in this topic

Well...I couldnt wait any longer.  Plan was to buy this sucker on my Bday (Oct 25) then hit the Blue Ridge Pkwy that weekend for a fun weekend trip.  There was literally 1 optioned out perfectly the way I woulda ordered it from Ford and they were in a hurry to get rid of it meaning I got a half decent deal out of the mix.  Friend of mine had it transfered to her dealership and the rest is history!!!

IMG_20131006_095506_067_zps459671a0.jpg

Specs:

2013 Focus ST with ST2 package

2.0T (TINY K03 turbo)

6speed manual

Tangerine Scream

Charcoal/Smoke Partial leather Recaro seats

Sunroof, MyFordTouch w/ Nav and Dualzone are added options

Love this car to DEATH already.  Managed to clock 33mpg on the way home taking it easy on her so she wont hurt the wallet too bad when in Eco-mode and when you smack the throttle this little suckers got some balls!  Not entirely up to date on torquesteer and how to drive around it so Ill need to learn but otherwise Im diggin it.  Smooth, rides nice, handles better than most cars on the road and is super economical when you want it to be.  I like how you can drive around town and NEVER see and single psi of boost thanks to the torque and you never have to shift out of 6th when cruising to pass or get back to speed, just give it some throttle and the little turbo comes to life getting you where you need to be!  Perfect blend of reliable/responsible/economical and FUN.  Never in a million years would I ever imagine owning a yellow car but this color really stood out to me in person so no regrets there either!  Look forward to seein how she does down the road!

Matt

That's awesome, Matt! :w00t:

Anything sporty that get's that good of gas mileage will be a fun car you can live with for a while! :up:

Look forward to some 1/4 mile times and videos! :lol::D

HA!  You can expect mid 9 sec 1/8 mile till i can figure out how the hell to hook this ******* up and keep it straight then it should be good for mid 8's.  Thatll all come in time, for now I plan on enjoying it as it is.

Matt

HA!  You can expect mid 9 sec 1/8 mile till i can figure out how the hell to hook this bastard up and keep it straight then it should be good for mid 8's.  Thatll all come in time, for now I plan on enjoying it as it is.

Matt

Are mid 8's typical of these cars?

Best I ever got in my 97 GT was an 8.7 in the 1/8.

Nah, low nines high 8s are typical but when they hook up they are good for mid 8s.  They have the MPH to run low 8s but are heavy and dont hook for crap off the line.  Ide love to get it into the mid 8s personally cause the BlueCoupe was a ton of fun around that territory.  Drop a little un-needed weight, put some sticky tires on it and learn to drive it worth a damned and its possible.

Matt

Thanks.  Had the Rear Motor Mount TSB done, MFT updated and all 4 wheels balanced and she's just as fun as ever!  Took it up to the Blue Ridge Parkway for my Bday weekend and had a BLAST with it.  I always was a fast in a straight line kinda guy but I dig this stuff called handling alot!!!  I didnt go nuts but between 40mph-70mph being cautious and smooth, boosting up the hills and such made for a wonderful little trip.  Didnt take too many pics but I got a couple along the way.

Stopped on our way to Gatlinburg at the same spot I "broke down" in the 66 and asked Kathleen to Marry me.  We sat on the curb and ate lunch while enjoying the scenery LOL

IMG_20131026_142838_370_zpse2233a10.jpg

We then moved on into Cherokee NC to start the Blue Ridge Parkway.  What a drive.  Yes I know the speed limit is 45mph in most places but it was PLENTY to have (safe) fun especially with all the dropoffs but the VIEW was really awesome too.  We stopped a couple times to take it all in.

IMG_20131026_172735_941_zps20fac1e6.jpg

IMG_20131026_175701_566_zps05414fbb.jpg

Comin from an overly slow yet super efficient econobox DD, I decided to see if I could get the average MPG reading as HIGH as possible on a long downhill by keeping it in gear and coasting the entire way (riding the breaks to make turns but 0 throttle input).  Took 5 miles but I finally ended up pegging it.  On an instant MPG reading (which the Focus doesnt have) you could do it instantly and easily but it was fun either way to watch it climb and climb.

IMG_20131026_152928_327_zps97c2e82d.jpg

Funny thing is, Ive pretty much said to hell with gas mileage, so long as I can go a week between tanks Im happy (which Ive more than been able to do).  After all the spirited, boost happy driving through the mountains I was able to maintain a 33mpg average throughout the entire trip in the mountains LOL.  LOTS of downhill, in gear driving and deceleration helped I guess but I had the boost gauge pegged every straight and uphill I ran across.  Anyways, to sum it up...great car, great weekend, great trip!

Matt

The weekend before i bought the ST I saw another Tangerine Scream in the church parking lot of all places.  Im pretty sure its the one I was gonna buy from Ford of Murfreesboro but anyways, I never saw it again after...until a couple Sundays ago I passed it again.  I was pulling into church and he was pulling out LOL.  Apparently the only other TS ST around goes to the same church but different service time!  Anyways, to help avoid confusion if we were ever to attend the same service...I had to break out the ole plastidip

IMG_20131110_155721_142_zpsf7478ec1.jpg

I waffled for quite a while on whether I wanted to do the plastidip deal and finally said screw it...itll hold me over till I put together the cash for some nicer wheels.  I actually kinda dig it tho...goes well with the paint color.  Ive got some minor mods planned and then Ide like to toss some springs on it to lower it a tad and get rid of a little body roll. 

Matt

The car looks great and averaging 33 MPG's is a huge bonus! :up:

Sounds like you had a lot of fun in this car already!

How does the fiancé like it?

If I drive it easy (boring) I can get low 30s if I have a little more fun but still be responsible I can get high 20s if I drive the piss out of it every chance I can I see low to mid 20s.  Bit of a shock at first comin from a 40mpg in town car but SO WORTH IT!!!

Kathleen loves it.  She has a 2013 Focus SE and LOVES it so she digs the ST as well.  Best DD car Ive ever had to date...I miss the BlueCoupe BADLY but it was never a complete package like the ST is so far.

Matt

Matt,

Next time you back over the mountains there, stop in Maggie Valley and go through Wheels Through Time museum and have lunch at Smokin' Buttz BBQ. You'll enjoy both :no1:

Might inquire with you concerning the plasti-dip and doing it to a set of wheels on the Fusion when the weather warms up again. :winkgrin:

Lets do it!!!  Its stupid cheap and stupid easy and if its too ricey for you, it peels off if you do enough coats so who cares!!!  I love the satin look and I especially love not having to look at the brake dust (which these little cars are nasty for) after tryin to wipe em down every other day and eventually gettin fed up and sayin hell with it! 

As for Wheels Through Time, looks interesting might have to check that out sometime.

Matt

Reppin the two boards that I frequent these days.  Usually I put my Forum decals in the center or left corner of the rear window but the Focus' shape and rear wiper wouldnt allow either.  The TN shape made it awkward to find a spot on the bottom of the glass that was flat enough and kept it out of my view (need every inch of window clear to see outta this thing).  If I dont like this over the longrun I have another I can put somewhere else but for now itll do!

IMG_20131122_083656_850_zps658aaf8c.jpg

Matt

Was in Charleston SC looking at wedding venues when I spotted this dude in a the parking lot.  After a breif explaination to Kathleen, her sister and mine (who had tagged along on the trip) I did what was necessary and parked next to it for a quick photo op.

IMG_20131123_164134_969_zps2ecaf486.jpg

This one was alot like mine, looked to be an ST2 with roof and had Plastidipped wheels.  Otherwise it looked stock.  Either way, it was cool and while taking the tour I noticed a guy and a girl looking at the cars and taking a pic but I couldnt get away to see if it was the owner.  The car was still there when we left so Im thinkin maybe it was just someone else who thought it was cool.

On a side note, this little sucker has proven itself to be a fun/efficient little road trip car.  Kathleen's SE Focus would easily get better MPG but the stick and turbo in my car make it more fun for when things get monotonous lol.  Took 4 adults and luggage comfortably so Im happy.

Matt

JohnC likes this

Thanks guys, Im definitely diggin the Tangerine Scream just as much as the first time I ever saw it which is a relief...I thought it would eventually get old lol.  I never liked the Red as it didnt look right on this particular car but with the right mods it actually looks pretty good but I like mine more!  I was in love with the Performance Blue but its nicknames Burple and in person Ive never seen it actually look blue so it was out.  I jumped on the TS and have never looked back.  Oh...black was another good looking option but there are a few of em floating around the area already and there were 7 of them sitting on the lot I bought mine from (2014s).  Same with Mboro Ford, I took mine in to have the wheels balanced and I was the only TS around.  It was parked next to the building when I came to pick it up, right next to 4 other 2014s on the concrete and there were people outside looking at mine...not the ones actually for sale!  Apparently...the TS is fun to look at, but hard to sell from what Ive seen.  ANYways, it works for me!

Matt

JohnC likes this

OH...and for loving it more than the 66...NEVER.  But I DO love the danged thing.  The 66 will always be my fun car BUT its not as comfortable, doesnt handle as well, isnt as safe either.  For DD the ST is the king, for showing off and lookin good...they both do a danged good job but the 66 still reigns supreme.  The 66 will be quicker too but I DO have some mods in mind.  Ive already done a CAI (simply so I can hear the danged turbo a little better) and have a resonator swap on the way.  Eventually I will tie it all in with a tune from FSWerks and call it at that for a while.  The stock computer is set to a specific torque output target so no matter what you do bolton wise, it wont really show up power wise without a tune anyways so might as well toss it in while Im at it!   It already has terrible traction issues so until I can get those resolved much more power is worthless.

Matt

JohnC likes this

Tossed some cash at an ST supporting vendor and had him put together a resonator delete kit but rather than delete the resonator entirely, I had him weld up a Flowmaster DBX resonator.  I HATE the sound of most 4 bangers but want to try and uncork the exhaust a bit to help the teeny tiny turbo out all I can.  With the windows up, you cant hear a thing (YES!).  Windows down, you can hear it but its barely louder than stock.  Most noticable is its deeper and less raspy.  Ive also noticed that the car runs alot smoother through the gears but that might be in my head lol.  ANYways, heres a terrible sound clip of it from the other night.  Its been noticed that video of the ST never sounds like it does in real life and i can attest to that. 

http://youtu.be/FEeMnVroXfA

Its not quite as loud in person it seems, then again i guess if you stand right behind it it is.  Im thinkin bout tossing a better downpipe and then leavin it alone.  I dont want it loud cause its a 4 banger and my DD but I want a little more grunt and more importantly, more flow.

Matt