66sprint6

EVENnewestER DD 2018 F150

883 posts in this topic

Got the truck back pretty quick from Surgery.  Appears to have went well, runs great, shifts way better and so far doesnt appear to be leaking anything.  Ill keep an eye on that for next couple days just to be sure.  Pretty decent parts and materials list but she should be golden for some time.  New timing chains were added while in there which Im happy for.  

20201106_135149.jpg

They did not address the wastegate rattle and as I suspected, called me back this afternoon saying that since it didnt appear to be a mechanical issue nor would it cause any performance issues they likely would not be interested in doing anything about it.  I let them know that many many many thousands of folks have been told different which is the only reason I brought it up and that its a known issue with Ford, hence the "band aide" fix and to please approach Ford on my behalf regardless of what THEY think and let me know what FORD says.  They are gonna call back Monday.  If they arent interested then I still have a contact at a more local dealership and will see if they can go to bat for me.  Otherwise shes running top notch and will hopefully stay that way for a while!

Matt

Columbia bailed on me on the wastegate rattle SO I got with a good friend of mine that I used to sell with who works with Newton in Shelbyville and she got me in with their Service Manager.  He and his lead tech listened to it, took it around to his bay and then got to work ordering new turbos to solve the issue.  THANK YOU!  The last annoyance will soon be sorted and hopefully it will carry on its merry way from here.  The PCM update that was done during the phaser swap has made the 10 speed WAY WAY better as well.  It went through the adaptive learning much quicker and is 100x smoother than ever before.  Intercooler and resonator delete are in the garage waiting for time to swap them in then itll be ready...for a long winter of DD duty and THEN Test n Tune when spring rolls back around YAY

Matt

JohnC likes this

New turbos?  For a wastegate rod rattle? 

Did you ask if they'd put the same $$$$ and labor toward a pair of Turbonetics? 

Edited by Ashley P
66sprint6 likes this

1 hour ago, Ashley P said:

New turbos?  For a wastegate rod rattle? 

Did you ask if they'd put the same $$$$ and labor toward a pair of Turbonetics? 

The rod rattle is gone, but they can develop slop where the wastegate rod that holds the puck exits the exhaust housing wallows it out.  Apparently its not an issue that later 2019 and 2020 models have encountered so its not a big deal.  The 2018 Gen 2 3.5 gets the Raptor/Limited turbo so they are plenty good!  There isnt anything mechanically wrong, its just annoying to listen to so its getting fixed.  Had they shot me down like Columbia then it would just rattle on.

35 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If Ford wants to replace CID with Technology, they need to do better than this!

I hope I never have issues with my little 2.7L EcoBoost! 

Its an early first run of the Gen2 setup so its gonna have its wiggles.  It still makes more power, torque, tows more and is WAY faster than anything else in its class while still getting decent mpg.  The Coyote doesnt even come in 2nd in its own truck and its a good motor (tho apparently its NOT in the truck according to everyone I talk to).  The 2.7 is very well built and beyond reliable in every way from what Ive seen.  But then again, so is the 3.5.  Im just making sure I get every little thing sorted before it hits 60k and Im on my own!  The phasers were not broken when I replaced them, but if there are better replacements AND they will do it for free, Im in.  The turbos work perfect, they just rattle.  Fix it for free?  Yes please!  The 10 speed is a great trans but I didnt like how clumsy and clunky it was, flash to the latest trans logic and book, works great!  The ONLY thing so far that this thing sucks at that just about every other V8 powered truck on the planet is WAY better at is...exhaust note.  Bleh.  But thats ok, Ill just keep this one quiet and be ok with it!

Matt

mstrpth likes this

5 hours ago, Ashley P said:

The station wagon (may she RIP) could have handled it too.    :crying:

When we were...wait...when I was dragging it to the parking lot I told Kathleen the same thing.  It woulda handled it just fine!

Matt