66sprint6

EVENnewestER DD 2018 F150

848 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2020 at 3:40 PM, Disney said:

That is still amazing. In Nissanland you'd have to swap out the body harness, left rear seat, two tires, and the air filter for something like that. Amazing the Big 3 have the ability to integrate it all so easily.

It’s like that if you want ford LED headlights I read on the F150 forum.

You got to reprogram plus whole harness under the hood.

Not cheap! 

11 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Ha!  Almost the exact same times as a "stock" 69 GTO.  Dang I like turbos....

Crazy what these boats can do now with a little boost

10 hours ago, Disney said:

Nice to see all the hard work paying off!!  

:lol:

I was having fun.  Its not anywhere near slicks and a manual fun but its a far cry from dump the clutch and go boom as well.  

Speaking of which I forgot to mention that it ended up being a laaaate night after my buddy with the Fusion Sport broke an axle on the way home testing his tunes ability to build boost on launch.  Itll do it now...until you launch OR the front axle pops whichever comes first.

Matt

JohnC likes this

9 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Tell me your considerations of a 4LO pass. 

Heck no.  I dont want to find out how bad things would go if I didnt click it over in time.  All the quick passes on these trucks is done in 4 high initially and thats working for me.  Little more power to get this pig moving a little quicker out of the hole and itll be better.

Matt

Posted (edited)

I see the potential for your truck to have a better 60' time than that other car you used to own.  It involves  4 Low and NAWSSSS!!  lol

Edited by Ashley P
Tino and 66sprint6 like this

13 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Heck no.  I dont want to find out how bad things would go if I didnt click it over in time.  All the quick passes on these trucks is done in 4 high initially and thats working for me.  Little more power to get this pig moving a little quicker out of the hole and itll be better.

Matt

So 4hi is faster than 2wd?

Basically, you have GTR now. :lol: 

You just need to get the hp up! 

Raptor swap parts? :evild: 

Tino and 66sprint6 like this

12 hours ago, Ashley P said:

I see the potential for your truck to have a better 60' time than that other car you used to own.  It involves  4 Low and NAWSSSS!!  lol

Shhhhhh no, BAD!!!!

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

So 4hi is faster than 2wd?

Basically, you have GTR now. :lol: 

You just need to get the hp up! 

Raptor swap parts? :evild: 

Its already as quick as any stock Raptor has been and its not even in good air.  The Gen2 3.5 has the same turbos as the Raptor/Limited "HO" 3.5 it just doesn't have as hot of a tune apparently.  The Limited is a fast dude stock thats for sure.  Im sure if I had been able to get a truck with 3.55s and a locking rear it would help down the road when making more power but for now this thing is scooting well into its full potential according to everything I'm seeing!!!  Tune will not be far off.  I cannot stand the way this thing shifts 1st-5th and how it shudders in 9th and 10th and a tune will sort that out so that alone is worth it to me...the extra horsies will be appreciated as well.

Matt

Just got back from a quick trip to Florida and the truck proved itself (for the most part) to be one of the best vehicles I could own in this stage of life at least. 

Interior room for days.  We all piled in comfortably for the 8 hour drive.  

20200826_095450.jpg

Plenty of storage in the bed for all the crap Kathleen thought we might need for the week and the cover was very helpful.

20200826_095501.jpg  

The sand/shell/dirt road my Parent's place was on was a pond that would have drowned the Mustang or ST had it been that way when we drove those down but the truck didnt care (or at least I didnt lol)

20200830_125949.jpg

By the end of the week, between hitting that mess and the wet weather we had a couple of the days she was quite nasty (pic doesnt even come close to doing the grime justice).

20200901_084511.jpg

A couple hours in the rain on the way home and a couple passes through the bottom blaster rinse at the car wash when we got home got the sand and salt out.  When I get it back from the dealership Ill get the sand out of the interior (bleh I hate sand).

I always calculate MPG at gas stops on trips (gives me something to do I guess) and this trip was no different.  We averaged 80-85 on the first leg of the trip down 65 South and I was pleased to see 17-18mpg on the first fill up.  The 2nd leg of the trip is on back highways and through numerous towns so you go from 30mph-70mph and back again.  We were able to do this portion of the drive down and the entire week of driving around while there on one tank (so happy to have a bigger tank again!) and averaged 21mpg!  This is all hand calculated as the dash readout is notoriously wrong (2mpg off consistently in my case).  Im super happy with that ESPECIALLY out of a full size Super Crew 4x4 loaded down with crap.  

The trip wasnt 100% without issue tho.  About an hour after the first fillup we were entering a town after about an hour stretch of 55-70 mph highway.  While slowing down the truck seemed to downshift funny and I had very little power.  It wasnt limp mode, I was fully able to get around the town but it wouldnt shift higher than 8th at higher speeds which was odd and it honestly felt like what a V6 SHOULD feel like in a heavy fullsize...gutless.  I pulled over and it idled super low and choppy.  No CEL or lights but I used my SCT to see what was up and pulled up P0019 and P0025 codes.  Shut off the truck and started it right back up and the codes went away and the truck idled and ran spot on.  Did it again on the way home in similar circumstances with the same result, shut it down, started right back up and it drove great the rest of the way.  Little bit of research shows that the VVT and VCT sensors have screens that can get clogged (mostly on Coyote trucks but Ecoboosts do it too) but unclog easily enough and can do so back and forth over time.  They dont appear to be too hard of a swap if deemed necessary.  The truck is currently at the dealer as we speak HOPEFULLY to have a Timing chain TSB sorted out before the warranty expires and I told them about the codes so maybe they can look at the sensors while in there.  OR they will tell me that "everything is normal" and Ill have to do it all myself.  Either way.

Great trip, really like this truck more and more and now its time to get back to work...boo.

Matt.   

JohnC likes this

3 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Just got back from a quick trip to Florida and the truck proved itself (for the most part) to be one of the best vehicles I could own in this stage of life at least. 

Interior room for days.  We all piled in comfortably for the 8 hour drive.  

20200826_095450.jpg

Plenty of storage in the bed for all the crap Kathleen thought we might need for the week and the cover was very helpful.

20200826_095501.jpg  

The sand/shell/dirt road my Parent's place was on was a pond that would have drowned the Mustang or ST had it been that way when we drove those down but the truck didnt care (or at least I didnt lol)

20200830_125949.jpg

By the end of the week, between hitting that mess and the wet weather we had a couple of the days she was quite nasty (pic doesnt even come close to doing the grime justice).

20200901_084511.jpg

A couple hours in the rain on the way home and a couple passes through the bottom blaster rinse at the car wash when we got home got the sand and salt out.  When I get it back from the dealership Ill get the sand out of the interior (bleh I hate sand).

I always calculate MPG at gas stops on trips (gives me something to do I guess) and this trip was no different.  We averaged 80-85 on the first leg of the trip down 65 South and I was pleased to see 17-18mpg on the first fill up.  The 2nd leg of the trip is on back highways and through numerous towns so you go from 30mph-70mph and back again.  We were able to do this portion of the drive down and the entire week of driving around while there on one tank (so happy to have a bigger tank again!) and averaged 21mpg!  This is all hand calculated as the dash readout is notoriously wrong (2mpg off consistently in my case).  Im super happy with that ESPECIALLY out of a full size Super Crew 4x4 loaded down with crap.  

The trip wasnt 100% without issue tho.  About an hour after the first fillup we were entering a town after about an hour stretch of 55-70 mph highway.  While slowing down the truck seemed to downshift funny and I had very little power.  It wasnt limp mode, I was fully able to get around the town but it wouldnt shift higher than 8th at higher speeds which was odd and it honestly felt like what a V6 SHOULD feel like in a heavy fullsize...gutless.  I pulled over and it idled super low and choppy.  No CEL or lights but I used my SCT to see what was up and pulled up P0019 and P0025 codes.  Shut off the truck and started it right back up and the codes went away and the truck idled and ran spot on.  Did it again on the way home in similar circumstances with the same result, shut it down, started right back up and it drove great the rest of the way.  Little bit of research shows that the VVT and VCT sensors have screens that can get clogged (mostly on Coyote trucks but Ecoboosts do it too) but unclog easily enough and can do so back and forth over time.  They dont appear to be too hard of a swap if deemed necessary.  The truck is currently at the dealer as we speak HOPEFULLY to have a Timing chain TSB sorted out before the warranty expires and I told them about the codes so maybe they can look at the sensors while in there.  OR they will tell me that "everything is normal" and Ill have to do it all myself.  Either way.

Great trip, really like this truck more and more and now its time to get back to work...boo.

Matt.   

I can personally tell you that the timing issues cost around $4k to have fixed

JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

I'd go back to the dealer I bought it at and make them fix that timing chain issue! :yes:

I'd be like, look, I just bought this thing and now it's screwed up.... ETC!

Hope that crap doesn't happen to mine! 

1 hour ago, mstrpth said:

I can personally tell you that the timing issues cost around $4k to have fixed

Yep I knows it.  Im not fixing that on my own, thats what its in for now and Im hoping they will sort out.  Its not technically making the couple second noise that most do on cold start but it does put up a hell of a racket on cold start which quiets down and goes away when warm.  What Im hoping the advisors dont bother to notice is that all 18+ Gen2 Ecoboosts do this and If I remember right it has something to do with the dual injection on cold starts.  My truck WAS made in the timeline of the TSB so Im not scamming them for some fresher chains or guides but mine technically isnt making the bad noises they look for in order to do the swap so Im hoping they will just do the job, swap the (potentially) defective parts out for the new part number and then Ill have the peace of mind of knowing itll be ok down the road.  Fingers crossed.  I meant that if they dont fix the VVT/VCT solenoids then Ill do it down the road easily enough.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I'd go back to the dealer I bought it at and make them fix that timing chain issue! :yes:

I'd be like, look, I just bought this thing and now it's screwed up.... ETC!

Hope that crap doesn't happen to mine! 

Its at the dealership as we speak.  I set up the appt before we left for the trip and dumped it there on the way home from FL.  The service provider has been super cool and understood that I wanted to get it looked over due to only having 10k left on the powertrain warranty. Yours will have the newer parts as it was early 18's that were effected.

Matt

They gave me a free bump in warranty to 42,000 miles.

But I don’t see myself putting 42k on this truck in 2 years, so it’s worthless really. 

8C94F752-45E2-4A66-A70B-294DBFDDB5E3.png

The rest of the warranty is:

0FCD3D4D-543B-43AE-9FC1-41816C5E857D.png

DF206BA7-34A4-4016-ABF2-B3B6D9DA44FC.png

We get Lifetime Warranties on any new Fords we buy but the last couple used cars Ive gotten have only had whatever was left on the factory warranty if anything.  Jury is still out on the truck as of this morning on whether or not they will do the "preventative" timing TSB for me.  Fingers crossed tho Im not one to hold my breath when it comes to Dealership service depts.  We shall see.

When it comes back Ill have the TSB parts to fix the wastegate rattles (you will likely need these one day as well and if so Ill keep the part numbers handy).  Most guys do something dubbed the "BMW Fix" using a spring to put lateral tension on the wastegate arm to keep it from rattling around but Ford has a small dogbone looking washer that takes up the slack so Im going to go that route.  Springs would be way way cheaper and easier but not a permanent fix apparently.  Honestly Im just doing fiddly little things because I can and like doing so :lol:

Matt

JohnC and mstrpth like this

They call it a "spring" since its bent in the middle so it can take up any slack in the arm.

20200904_105850.jpg

Came with all new hardware for the arms as well.  Itll be more of a pain in the butt to reach everything than to complete the job.

Matt

mstrpth likes this

Got word yesterday that they WILL be doing the VCT TSB which is wonderful news.  Took em a while just to get to diagnosing the truck but Im happy to hear they are going to replace the known weak parts and I wont have to worry about it down the road.  Hoping they do a good job and I can get back to enjoying the thing.  I been missin it!

EDIT:  Parts are on National back order for the next 20-30 days so I picked up the truck till they are in.  

Matt

JohnC, Disney, mstrpth and 1 other like this

Got back out to the Hill last night hoping it would cool down some...never really did but I had some fun!  DA started around 2802 and dropped to 2600ish.

Run 1: 9.19 at 76.66 with 2.08 60ft.  Straight off the highway log recorded 16.5psi boost

Run 2: 9.20 at 76.77 with 2.09 60ft.  17.5psi.  Hot Lapped

Run 3:  9.08 at 77.21 with 2.02 60ft.  15.66psi.  Short cool down.  Called out by a newer 5.3 Silverado 4x4 (He ran a 10.3).  Guy in a Titan was talking to the guy with the Silverado (both cool dudes) saying HE wanted to call out the Ford but since the Silverado got to me first he would race the Silverado and then race me.  He got gapped by the Silverado and never came around for his race with me LOL

Run 4:  9.13 at 77.34 with 2.08 60ft.  16.9psi

Run 5:  9.15 at 76.94 with 2.07 60ft.  Short cool down.  16.9psi

Run 6:  9.21 at 77.19 with 2.12 60ft.  15.6psi Filter removed.  Round 1 elim.  Traction Control was on (my mistake, if you turn it off before selecting drive mode then it turns back on).  Beat an Explorer ST who jumped the light.

Run 7:  9.06 at 77.28 with 2.01 60ft.  Filter removed.  Round 2 elim. Short cool down

Run 8:  9.09 at 77.21 with 2.04 60ft.  Filter removed.  Round 1 Super Street (lost)

Run 9:  9.11 at 77.20 with 2.04 60ft.  15.95 psi.  Filter removed.  Round 3 elim.  Hot lapped from Super Street pass.  (lost)

They started the Eliminations an hour early which ticked alot of folks off including myself, I like to get the passes in THEN run elims in the cool air after a good cool down BUT I made it a couple rounds so I was able to get more passes than normal so I got my $$$ worth in the end.  I really thought 9.1's MAYBE high 9.0's would be the best it could do on a cool night with good air but now Im thinking it might be within sniffing distance of the 8's as it sits.  Im still on 87 octane and bone stock.  Gonna run this tank down and fill up on 93 (meant to do that this time and forgot) and see if it helps.

I did have another issue on the way to the track.  Running down I24 at 80-85 then hit traffic and on slowing down for it the truck started sputtering and shaking again.  I shut it off in Neutral and restarted but it did not work.  I then was able to come to a stop and put it in park to restart and it fired up happy as can be.  This time the CEL is still on and the codes are stored according to my SCT tuner so I can get the dealership to check into it when they do the Sprocket TSB.  Here are the codes.  Same two as the road trip along with a handful of new ones.

P0019

P0025

P0300 Multiple Misfires Detected

P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire

P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire

P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire

The other two codes are cam timing related and I believe are on the same bank as the cylinder misfires so Im thinking its all related.  Not sure if its an electrical gremlin, computer related (not smart enough to know) or if its the VVT and VCT sensors clogging up and clearing when shut down and restarted.  It runs like a top once you restart and wont do this again for a while.  It also ONLY does it if your hauling ass on the highway for a sustained amount of time and then have to slow down.  I drove it home from the dealership in the same manner without issue so its intermittent at best.  Either way the codes are now stored so when the parts are in for the sprocket job they have something to look at other than a picture on my phone.

Matt

mstrpth and JohnC like this