66sprint6

EVENnewestER DD 2018 F150

883 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Ashley P said:

500 wheel torgue?  Your axles see about 10 times that.

Are your gears 8.8?  If so, is a Detroit locker possible for you?  I've heard they are clanky on turns, but indestructible on launches.

Yeah they do.  Im looking at the Eaton TruTrac right now.  Supposed to be great for street and launching.

Matt

And just like that...the herd started to thin.

20200801_172406.jpg

Most of yall know but were expecting another little one (another Boy!) which got me talkin with Pate about his Dad's truck maybe coming home and us finding an extended cab so we can all go on adventures in it.  This got the wheels turning on the other cars and eventually...an entire driveway clear out.

First on the block was the Wagon.  Big thanks to @1bad6t6 for the heads up on the Wagon market being so hot right now.  With his encouragement I cleaned her up and she was sold to the first person who spoke up shortly after.  

20200729_164942.jpg

Like all cars when I sell em (most of yall can relate) it hurt to watch it leave but for once the new owner seemed like he had a very similar mindset that I did when I bought the thing.  He fell in love on the test drive and it was outta here.

Next came the Shelby.  I really had no plans to get rid of the Shelby because of the kid, but mostly because I didnt like the Black.  I know thats lame but it just wasnt for me and a pain to keep up and when clean it was SUPER good looking but didnt make my heart flutter like a red or blue one.  Anyways, after putting it mostly back to stock, getting the rear back together, finding out the knick in the pinion that I smoothed out was still making noise, sending it to Disney for a new ring and pinion and getting it back again, I found a new home for it as well.  Bye Bye.  That one hurt way less.  It looked good screaming down the road as the potential buyer test drove it but I didnt feel HALF what I did with the Wagon.  The main bummer was that I wouldnt be heading to the track again for the foreseeable future.  Not with the plans I had at least. 

Originally I was going to get rid of it all and jump in the order pool for a 2021 Bronco.  Hell yeah, complete spur of the moment decision that came about the night it was release.  Sucker looks good, performs amazing and would allow us to have some adventures of many kinds which works for me.  Till then I was on the hunt for a 93-96 F150 extended cab 4x4 or F250 Super Crew 4x4 to get by till the Bronco got here.  I had TWO super clean, old man owned, one owner trucks fall through my hands due to having to wait to go see them till the weekend (both were 3-5 hours away) and then I ran across a sales add that completely changed the plans.  I have this thing where when I have no money I want to pull the trigger on everything I see and I find cool stuff everywhere but when I have cash in hand, I cant find crap and dont wanna pay for anything I do find LOL.Back to @JohnC thread about his new truck, I had this recurring dream that Kathleen told me we were Pregnant again and I said "ok, Im going to go get a new F150"  Each time it was a Redfire Super Crew 4x4.  JohnC literally bought the truck from my dream and sent me a link for one that was actually 100% what I would want if I could have done it.  I didnt have the cash at the time and didnt want a newer truck.  Fast forward to last weekend and a little bug got planted in my mind that wouldnt allow me to sleep one night.  After a bunch of research I decided to go on the hunt for the cheapest Super Crew 4x4 3.5L EB truck that I could find.  Not only did I find one...but iI was able to find a Facelift (2018) truck with the 40/20/40 bench up front we talked about wanting to find, the gen2 3.5 motor, 10 speed trans and best of all...it was even the exact color that I wanted20200816_131441.jpg

20200817_192749.jpg

2018 F150 XLT Super Crew 4x4 with 3.5L, 10r80 and thats it.  Only options on this sucker are the 3.5 and the paint.  Its everything I wanted and nothing I didnt.  Its got 49k miles on it (was a fleet truck) and was scratched and rock chipped up more than I normally would be ok with but oddly enough I didnt really care.  It runs perfect, rides and drives as well as the 2020 on the lot I drove, has brand new tires and I got it for $4k cheaper than any other used trucks and with only 7-10k more miles.  I spent a couple hours the day after I got it with some polishing compound hitting all the scrapes, scratches and half-assed touch-up attempts (some in the wrong color even) and this sucker polished out wonderfully.  90* of the crap was in the clear and the massive blobs of touch up are now gone and the deeper stuff Ill touch up myself and itll be good.  Step back 2 feet and she looks gorgeous.  Its a family hauler now and a truck and I dont have to worry about the first scratch!  I took it yesterday back to the dealership to fix the only other "issue" I had and that was a super easy fix on their part.  Initially the traction control button and drive mode button didnt do anything which Im betting was something the company that owned it did.  Quick reflash and they are working as they should AND the truck drives/shifts even better than before.  This was important because part of the reason I decided to pursue the truck option was so I could get back to doin this...

20200818_181130.jpg

Back to the Hill.  I went last Tues to shake it down, see if it was up to snuff mechanically and see what it would do.  I couldnt toggle the drive mods or turn off the traction control at this point but was still able to put down some times.

Run 1:  9.33 at 74.77 mph with a 2.11 60ft.  

Run 2: 9.32 at 74.72 mph with a 2.06 60ft

Run 3: 9.34 at 74.86 mph with a 2.11 60ft

Run 4: 9.33 at 75.63 mph with a 2.15 60ft

Run 5: 9.97 at 69.22 mph with a 2.25 60ft.

I ran every run roughly the same.  Launched in 4 high, loaded the converter to 2K rpm and let it rip selecting 2 high after the 1-2 shift.  NOT sure what the heck happened on the last run tho I did try to see if maybe the mode and traction control buttons DID work and it was the display that was broken and hit each button the correct number of times just to see.  After that run I ran codes and got a couple codes that pertain to the ECU's not communicating properly.  Cleared them and all has been well since.  I was out of the program at that point so I couldnt get another run in to see if it went back to the 9.3's but it seemed to pull fine on the way home.  Who knows.

I was quicker than an SRT Durango by alot and only 1 tenth off a cammed Trail Blazer SS.  Fastest 4 door truck/suv out there except the SS that night.  Im pleased.  Yeah...its slow.  It really sucks seeing someone running 8.9's and thinking "oh man, dont want none of that guy" LOL but thatll all change soon enough.  Some minor tweaks here and there and Ill hopefully be able to go Mustang/Camaro/Challenger hunting and making street tire cars wish they had slicks.  According to everything Im reading about these trucks mine is running right there with the rest so Ide say its healthy.  

If I woulda known how amazing having a truck like this would be for all around use, I woulda got one of the 2019's on deep discount but Im beyond pleased with this thing and look forward to seeing how it goes from here.  Kathleen loves it as well and were already planning on taking it to Florida next week instead of the Edge!  The comfort, room, utility and fun factor of this truck will fill in nicely for the 3 vehicles its replacing at the moment.

Matt

mstrpth, JohnC and Tino like this

Whatthecardeal??     No wagon, no Shelby, and the family hauler at the strip?   I gotta sit down....   lol 

Yep.  Found one vehicle to scratch all the itches for the time being.  Haul stuff, haul us, haul ass...sorta.  Its even the right color.  It may not have cop car wheels and a light blue interior but Ill overlook those things :lol:

Matt

Added a couple little things.    Catch cans are good.  Many say the Gen2 2.7 and 3.5 Ecoboosts dont need them as much as the first gens but I like having them.

20200820_183346.jpg

Antenna was missing so why not.  Crazy how many bullet shaped, carbon fiber antenna I had to search through to find this simple little dude.  Its rubber so it can take a whoopin if needed :lol:

20200820_183354.jpg

Since were taking it on Vacation in a week, and potentially another the week after that I went ahead and grabbed the Truxedo Truxport.  I dont normally care for covers but if were gonna toss everything in the bed then I wanted to at least keep it dry and this should do it.  Wont be keeping valuables in there so if someone is dumb enough to cut into it then so be it.  Easily folded up without blocking rear view which works for me as well.

20200820_183622.jpg

20200820_183957.jpg

I think a flat topper that fit flat inside the bed rails would be the best looking option but this will do!

Matt

mstrpth and JohnC like this

Nice looking truck and welcome to the baby hauler club! :up: 

You can't beat these trucks for the room in the cab and mpg's.

They'll tow a decent amount, too.

I didn't really care what engine my truck had since it's primary use was to haul the family around in comfort and be the grocery get'er. 

That said, I wanted a base model Raptor Crew, but the one in TN nearby had a salesman that wouldn't come off one penny from MSRP. :shake: 

I had financing approved through FoMo Credit and he still didn't bite. :shrug: 

So I settled for the XLT FX4 SCrew and have no regrets at all. 

BTW, get this in case you got to haul something longer than 5.5ft: 

https://www.amazon.com/AMP-Research-74813-01A-BedXTender-Extender/dp/B00AECDG0K/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=2019+f150+bed+extender&qid=1598012603&replacementKeywords=bed+extender&sr=8-3&vehicle=2019-54-666------------&vehicleName=2019+Ford+F-150

https://www.amazon.com/AMP-Research-74602-01A-BedXTender-2004-2018/dp/B0041G3DIU/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=2019+f150+bed+extender&qid=1598012603&replacementKeywords=bed+extender&sr=8-4&vehicle=2019-54-666------------&vehicleName=2019+Ford+F-150

And a Console Safe from Console Vault, Tuffy, or Lock'er Down if you want to keep your gun and stuff from the smash and grab thugs.

Because a lot of places don't allow firearms and thieves know that! 

66sprint6 likes this

1 hour ago, Ashley P said:

Don't forget to see my topic about LSPI.

LSPI was sorted on the Gen2 Ecoboosts due to the dual injection and I tossed a catch can on which helped Gen1 guys out.  I learned all about that fun stuff on the Focus ST back in the day.  Ugly stuff.

Matt

Ashley P likes this

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Nice looking truck and welcome to the baby hauler club! :up: 

You can't beat these trucks for the room in the cab and mpg's.

They'll tow a decent amount, too.

I didn't really care what engine my truck had since it's primary use was to haul the family around in comfort and be the grocery get'er. 

That said, I wanted a base model Raptor Crew, but the one in TN nearby had a salesman that wouldn't come off one penny from MSRP. :shake: 

I had financing approved through FoMo Credit and he still didn't bite. :shrug: 

So I settled for the XLT FX4 SCrew and have no regrets at all. 

BTW, get this in case you got to haul something longer than 5.5ft: 

https://www.amazon.com/AMP-Research-74813-01A-BedXTender-Extender/dp/B00AECDG0K/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=2019+f150+bed+extender&qid=1598012603&replacementKeywords=bed+extender&sr=8-3&vehicle=2019-54-666------------&vehicleName=2019+Ford+F-150

https://www.amazon.com/AMP-Research-74602-01A-BedXTender-2004-2018/dp/B0041G3DIU/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=2019+f150+bed+extender&qid=1598012603&replacementKeywords=bed+extender&sr=8-4&vehicle=2019-54-666------------&vehicleName=2019+Ford+F-150

And a Console Safe from Console Vault, Tuffy, or Lock'er Down if you want to keep your gun and stuff from the smash and grab thugs.

Because a lot of places don't allow firearms and thieves know that! 

Ive already looked at the extender and will be looking at console safes for that very purpose.  For now I have a portable gun box that I can tether to the seat frame when needed but I would like to see if there is anything for the 40/20/40 bench lower storage spot.  No leather for me, Im 100% good with the cloth.  Ide love a Raptor but this sucker will do more than I need it to do.  Only thing I might have liked to have was the FX4 package like you have but even that would be overkill for what I use it for to be honest.

Matt

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

So who makes the best catch can for these trucks? 

Not sure but Im a big fan of JLT 3.0 on the GT and GT500 so I went with the same for the EcoBoost.  $149 I believe so not bad at all and its plug and play with factory style connections.  

Matt

JohnC likes this

Did a quick asthetic mod that HAD to be done.  This truck came with the bottom line instrument cluster which is identical to the others except for the center info screen which was a block off plate and a tiny little analog screen that looked alot like an 80's video game or gas pump screen.  It was pretty horrible but I woulda have likely been ok with it but the lettering was in green when the rest of the cluster was blue.  I could easily have swapped for the top of the line 8" digital productivity cluster with adjustable gauge choices and the likes but wasnt willing to spend that kinda coin so I asked the guy who programs them if he had any of the mid level 4.2" screens and he hooked me up!  I now have the screens that I like in my Wife's car when on trips plus a few extra goofy ones like off road and weight distribution.  Its how it shoulda been all along and Im happy with it.  Was also a super easy swap, took longer to unpack the new cluster from the box than it took to get the old one out and new one in.  I normally dont really care about these kinds of swaps but it was entirely worth it to get rid of the hideous screen especially at night, it was annoying.

20200821_111813.jpg

20200822_151751.jpg 

20200822_152306.jpg

20200822_152346.jpg

20200822_152327.jpg

Changed oil and it looked brand new, as did the filter.  Plugs all look new and were gapped properly.  Pulled the MAP sensors and cleaned them as they were coated in oil.  All the typical Ecoboost checks done and its good to go.  Taking it in for front window tint tomorrow then its road trip ready!

Matt

JohnC and mstrpth like this

That looks much better! :up:

Too bad Ford packages stuff the way they do.

I think leather should be an option on the XLT, but they only offer it on the Lariat and above. :smirk: 

I'll be ordering some Katzkin leather seat covers for my truck soon.

I need to also tint the front door glass, too. 

66sprint6 likes this

3 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

Did a quick asthetic mod that HAD to be done.  This truck came with the bottom line instrument cluster which is identical to the others except for the center info screen which was a block off plate and a tiny little analog screen that looked alot like an 80's video game or gas pump screen.  It was pretty horrible but I woulda have likely been ok with it but the lettering was in green when the rest of the cluster was blue.  I could easily have swapped for the top of the line 8" digital productivity cluster with adjustable gauge choices and the likes but wasnt willing to spend that kinda coin so I asked the guy who programs them if he had any of the mid level 4.2" screens and he hooked me up!  I now have the screens that I like in my Wife's car when on trips plus a few extra goofy ones like off road and weight distribution.  Its how it shoulda been all along and Im happy with it.  Was also a super easy swap, took longer to unpack the new cluster from the box than it took to get the old one out and new one in.  I normally dont really care about these kinds of swaps but it was entirely worth it to get rid of the hideous screen especially at night, it was annoying.

Matt

You just swapped the old cluster for the new and it worked? Like... No other programming needed? That is unbelievable! I seriously can't believe that works. Amazing.

1 hour ago, Disney said:

You just swapped the old cluster for the new and it worked? Like... No other programming needed? That is unbelievable! I seriously can't believe that works. Amazing.

No you have to do some voodoo tomfoolery but there is a guy who does it all out in Cali for a great price. Send him your mileage and options and he gets it all set up.  If I had the Max Tow package with adjustable trailer brake and such he could program it to access those things as well.  Ended up being a super cool guy and he got it to me overnight which was amazing all the way from Cali.

Matt

JohnC and Disney like this

:lol:

I actually didnt realized it was that simple until I was doing some searching to see why my cluster wasnt showing certain options.  If it wasnt for that I would just deal with it to be honest but now I dont have to!

Matt

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Is this the dude you used? 

https://www.clustersbylivnitup.com/

My truck as the cluster you swapped in.

I wonder if it is worth it to go up to the full 8" screen? 

I like the Raptor cluster the most.... 

Yeah thats him.  Dave.  Super cool dude for sure.  EVERYONE is doing the 8" screen and loves it from the different threads.  I dont need all that but if I had a "nicer" truck ide certainly do the swap for sure.  

Matt

Got out to the Hill again last night to see if Sport Mode and TCS off could net any gains.  Filled the tank up like a dork (leaving for a road trip) so it was heavy but whatever.  DA was around 3500 and it was sticky out.

Run 1: 9.33 at 76.67 mph and 2.18 60.  Thought for sure I was just stuck in the 9.3's but the mph was up so that was promising.  I forgot to switch from 4H to 2H and did entire pass in 4H.

Run 2: 9.25 at 75.65 mph and 2.09 60.  There we go outta the 9.3s lol.  4h switched to 2h in 2nd.

Run 3: 9.18 at 76.78 with 2.07 60.  Woohoo, thats a bit better.  

Run 4: 9.21 at 76.80 with 2.10 60.  I was a tad behind loading up the rpms

Run 5: 9.13 at 76.54 with 2.01 60

Run 6: 9.10 at 76.94 with 2.04 60.

Had a blast despite being slow and was pleasantly surprised by how much it picked up!

Matt

JohnC, Ashley P and Tino like this