66sprint6

EVENnewestER DD 2018 F150

883 posts in this topic

On 2/17/2020 at 2:54 PM, Disney said:

That was 100x harder than I ever thought it would be. I mean, a really really tough job. If I ever do another one, the engine and trans will both drop out. They just never meant for the trans to come off of that engine in the car. Simple as that. 

20200209_150828 (2).jpg

20200209_202358 (2).jpg

The auto goes in and out much easier than the manual came out.  Dropping the k down and clocking bell top to about 1:30 and it slid out pretty easy even with long tubes

JohnC likes this

On 2/21/2020 at 5:01 PM, COSWORTH said:

The auto goes in and out much easier than the manual came out.  Dropping the k down and clocking bell top to about 1:30 and it slid out pretty easy even with long tubes

PM sent, want to pick your brain about something strange going on :o/

Matt

I wish!!!  That check went towards life stuff which blows...not blower stuff which would give me LIFE!

I drive the Wagon daily now to take Luke out for nap drives, which has been keeping me sane for sure, so on the rare occasion that I do take the Shelby out, its like a treat. Especially with how nice its been lately.  If only the damned tracks would open up so I could take advantage of some of the boost weather but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Matt

Tino likes this

17 hours ago, Ashley P said:

^ That's what I read... :shrug:

LOL nice!  Ide let him nap in your Goat but he seems to require movement to fall asleep and there's no chance of that happening any time soon so we make due with what we got!

People do seem to like to sleep on it and in it often.  In fact, a 6 speed LT1 (pre LS) SS got a couple cars put on him on one such nap drive and I looked back AND LUKE FELL ASLEEP!?!?!?!?!?  I didn't have anyone to share the victory with.  Funny thing tho...every time we leave that same gas station he yells out "Daddy, I wanna go fast!".  He did it with Momma in the car yesterday and she looked at me a little sideways.  "Hush up back there Ricky Bobby dang"

Matt

Ashley P likes this

Last night was a bit of a cluster BUT I finally got to get out and beat on this thing again.  Was hot and muggy, DA around 3300 and track management was an absolute mess and prep didnt seem like it was up to snuff.

Run 1.  8.47 at 93.74mph with 2.35 60.  Tires at 17.5psi cold, ended up at 19 hot.  4500rpm launch SPIIIIIIN CITY.  I spun harder off the line than I did in the water box and thats not an exaggeration.  I pedaled till it regained its composure and made the best of it.  I wasnt even mad because it snatched 2nd spinning its brains out without fail which is a big win for this ole TR6060.

Run 2. 7.74 at 94.34mph with a 1.88 60.  Tires at 18psi, 3500rpm launch spun again and pedaled after the 60ft but not near as bad.

Run 3. 7.55 at 95.10mph with a 1.80 60.  17.5psi, left between 3500 and 4k and spin but stayed in it and didnt feel the need to pedal this time.  Rode the spin out and it dead hooked into 2nd.

Run 4.  7.57 at 90.40mph with a 1.78 60.  Had a nearly 2 hour cool down thanks to poor track management but wanted to go in for a glory run either way.  Left around 3000-3500 and spun again but stayed in it like before, dead hooking in 2nd.  She was screaming and felt like it was on a strong pass but when I shifted 3rd power knocked off and the blower scream went silent.  I still had power but not like 3rd normally feels like.  When I got to the turn around I blipped the throttle a couple times and couldnt hear the blower so I figured I tossed the belt or something.  Popped the hood and its still there looking perfectly fine.  Blipped the throttle in the pits and tho you could def hear the blower it didnt seam as loud.  After packing up and leaving I gave it hell in 2nd and 3rd getting on the Interstate and all appeared to be as it always was, loud and plenty of boost.  Now Im beginning to believe that I monkey fisted the 2-3 shift into 5th instead (rolls eyes).  CEL never came on but Im gonna go check codes later to see if something popped up momentarily and was saved just in case but I do remember getting a little too into trying to get that 2-3 shift instead of letting the detent springs do the job for me.  Was on a decent pass for the conditions if it werent for that!

Im interested to see how much of the traction issue was track prep and how much was me needing to feel out the new clutch.  I normally line up just left of the groove on launch per the burnout guys advice and it worked like magic last year.  Last night I could SEE the trash in that area so I didnt dare try to launch out of it.  That and the amount of street tire cars backing into the burnout box was astonishingly annoying.  Oh well.  Gimme a couple more weeks and Ill get back into fighting shape.

Matt

Tino, Cody and Ashley P like this

Yeah I was happy to see that for sure.  I wasnt the only one having issues.  My 2nd race I busted a NASTY sounding (and super sexy looking) M4 that trapped 98mph but couldnt get off the line very well.  He only ran an 8.0 to my 7.7 and never got near me.  That was kinda fun tho because I knew a PB was out the window spinning so bad so I got into competitive mode and was pleased to see that pedaling really helped these tires get a grip AND the little bit of suspension work done last year kept the car going straight and gave me confidence that I could stay in it and no abort and get the W against another super nice car.

When I get a moment to check codes I might also look over the bypass valve a little more thoroughly just in case it wasnt my fault on the last run.  Ive read that they do, tho rarely, fail or more often that the vacuum lines going to it can have issues causing an instant lack of boost.

Matt

Tino likes this

Went to the Hill again on June 16th.  It was hot and super slick but fun was had either way.  I was going crazy wondering if the new clutch really would make the difference between me cutting really solid 60's last season to not being able to get anything worth while much less consistent BUT I was told that they hadnt sprayed and were going to do so when the bracket racing started.  Even after spraying initially I got nothing out of it but was FINALLY able to get the sucker to hook on my very last pass of the night...

Run 1.  7.79 at 95.73mph with a 2.01 60ft.  Spin city and pedaled 1st gear.

Run 2.  7.56 at 95.5mph with a 1.76 60ft.  Dropped launch rpm to 3k and still spun but much better.  This was when I was approached and told they hadnt sprayed yet.

Run 3.  8.12 at 95.71mph with a 2.2 60ft.  Was told they sprayed so I stepped up my launch RPM and spun worse than before.  

Run 4.  10.03 at 55.71mph with a 1.87 60ft.  Was able to get out of the hole a tad quicker but spun hard on the top of 1st (just out of the prep maybe?) and then missed 2nd.  Shut down at that point.

I then let the car cool down for a good while and decided to enter Co-Pilot with my buddy who was racing his Ecoboost Fusion (running low 8's!).  We were both laughing because we were gonna be the only morons wearing helmets in Co-Pilot that night.  

Run 5.  DNF...Big boom, long tow home and hitched a ride with my buddy.  We got up there and I told him I was gonna drop the launch rpm to around 3k again just so he could get a good ride out of it.  Dropped the clutch and it dead hooked and went BOOOOOOM bang bang bang bang shut it off.  We laughed it off and pushed it off the track and got to work getting it ready for a tow.

20200616_221023.jpg

Initially I wasnt all that worried figuring it was a drive shaft being that the stockers dont often hold up.  I got under it the next morning and damned if the driveshaft isnt sitting there perfect as can be :smirk:.  I fired it up and free revved with the clutch in, perfect.  Clutch out in neutral, still perfect.  Clutch out in gear (rear wheels off ground) and it would start rolling them just fine but right at 2k rpm BOOM BOOM BOOM and Ide let out.  Did this in 1-3rd.  The sound sounded like it was coming from up front which ripped my soul out and tossed it in the dirt.  At that time, the truck was down due to overheating and I was working on redoing the entire cooling system, the wagon was dripping from the waterpump, the 66 is sitting in the air needing some love, my big dog decides to tear his acl and all this time Im also trying not to get too spendy seeing that Kathleen and I got another little one on the way.  I put the car on the ground and walked away...for a good little bit.  At this point Im thinking trans is junk and I dont know if I need to be spending this much to keep doing what I love if it means taking away from the ones I love.  Do I put it back together and sell it, build it and keep beating on it...little bit of both.  I dunno.  I finally got back under it again last weekend and got a little different vibe from it.  I thought maybe the output snapped but there was no play what-so-ever in it, nor in the driveshaft.  I started it back up and forgot the parking brake was on this time around when setting off in 1st.  This time the REAR started banging and I let out.  I watched the rear wheel and it never moved but shook when it would bang.  I noticed that the driveshaft rotated but the wheel never did.  Bounced these results and my thoughts off Disney and he confirmed that the diff cover needs to come off.  Was fairly happy to see what I saw at that point.

20200705_120940.jpg

20200705_120543.jpg

Not gonna be a super cheap fix as the carrier is trashed and the gears were whining so this is my chance to get them outta there BUT it beats the pants off a trans rebuild and putting poor Disney through that mess...again.:lol:

Im still on the fence about maybe selling it to free up some cash for a little bit...at least until #2 comes around and I know were gonna be ok but Im leaning more towards rebuilding with better parts and beating on it some more since its way less drastic of a job.

I took one of the spider chunks and hit the sharp spots with a grinder and will be giving it to the burnout guy.  He said he was gonna get some prep out there for me...he finally did!

Matt

Disney likes this

OH...didnt even get to mention, I was super annoyed at the lack of traction out of the hole BUT consistently hitting 95mph felt gooood especially with as hot as it was!  Not all bad.

Kathleen and Luke were there...he wasnt super happy tho since I kept having to leave.  She got some video for me but I just couldnt deliver a decent pass.  I would love to have some video of my 1.58 60, 7.16 passes but thats ok.

Heres the best of a bunch of junk videos.  Spinning sometimes is winnin.  Spinning and WHINEin is more like it.  Listen till the end and you can hear what Luke thinks of it all.  "Piece of junk" :lol:

Matt

Oh, snap.  Dang spider gears.  Been there, done that x 4 ish.

I broke a couple sets of spiders before I figured out the posi clutches were worn and that was changing the..."engagement pattern"? of the spiders to axles.  Beware that potential.

66sprint6 likes this

Yeah I dont doubt that could be part of it.  I also went down a rabbit hole in the Shelby community and found out its a fairly common thing with these cars.  Sticky tires make the spiders go bang.

This is also 100% how I feel every time I work around rear diff lube and ATF.

Matt

mstrpth likes this

Yeah, that sucks!

I been through so much with the SS that if the rear snaps, I’m probably going to need a punching bag. 

Upgrading a 5th Gen rear diff and axles is hella expensive!

It strikes me odd that a car manufacturer cuts corners on cars they charge idiotic money for.  This spider gear issue should not be a problem.  Dodge should not be selling Hellcats with a non-reinforced aluminum center section.  It's a shame that you aren't getting Ford 9" quality in factory cars that make 500 plus horsepower.

JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Upgrading a 5th Gen rear diff and axles is hella expensive!

Luckily for me its an 8.8 so nothing too aweful pricey tho not entirely cheap either.  Again...much better than replacing the trans which I originally feared and maybe slightly cheaper than a new driveshaft even.

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

It strikes me odd that a car manufacturer cuts corners on cars they charge idiotic money for.  This spider gear issue should not be a problem.  Dodge should not be selling Hellcats with a non-reinforced aluminum center section.  It's a shame that you aren't getting Ford 9" quality in factory cars that make 500 plus horsepower.

I agree to a point.  Are the Hellcat diffs blowing on street tires or slicks only?  The GT500 is built better than Ive actually come to expect from most manufacturers but once you start throwing grip at these fat pigs they like to show off the weaker bits.  Im more annoyed at Tremec for not realizing the syncro issues on a trans that SO MANY higher performance cars share for years and years.

Im gonna get the diff sorted but might start taking it easy out of the hole until I can save up for a solid driveshaft.  I say that...but not sure I how much I mean it.  Good air and a sticky track might find me shooting for the moon...and maybe walking home again.

Matt

Tino likes this

10 minutes ago, 66sprint6 said:

I agree to a point.  Are the Hellcat diffs blowing on street tires or slicks only?  The GT500 is built better than Ive actually come to expect from most manufacturers but once you start throwing grip at these fat pigs they like to show off the weaker bits.  Im more annoyed at Tremec for not realizing the syncro issues on a trans that SO MANY higher performance cars share for years and years.

Mostly on slicks, but I've heard it happening with drag radials.  The manufacturers know what people will be doing with these cars.  Heck, Dodge markets the Hellcats as drag strip terrors.  I contend that they should brace the center section or make them out of cast iron.  The real serious Hellcat people are stuffing Ford 9" rear ends under them.  I just think it is a shame that you will need to spend that kind of money to make a factory car reliable.  I sure wouldn't bolt slicks onto a stock Hellcat knowing what can happen.  Heck, I'm not too comfortable thinking about launching on slicks with my 392 Hemi car.

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Mostly on slicks, but I've heard it happening with drag radials.  The manufacturers know what people will be doing with these cars.  Heck, Dodge markets the Hellcats as drag strip terrors.  I contend that they should brace the center section or make them out of cast iron.  The real serious Hellcat people are stuffing Ford 9" rear ends under them.  I just think it is a shame that you will need to spend that kind of money to make a factory car reliable.  I sure wouldn't bolt slicks onto a stock Hellcat knowing what can happen.  Heck, I'm not too comfortable thinking about launching on slicks with my 392 Hemi car.

THAT is actually very true.  Isnt it the Demon that comes with the $2 box or $1 box that has DRAG RADIALS in it?!?!?!?!?  The Shelby world is full of folks that pay $3k to build their rears up and run 15" drag radials on the street and then REFUSE to pound on the car.  Then there or folks like me who wanna do everything budget and go as fast as their dollar will let em LOL

You can take the racer out of the Foxbody but cant take the Foxbody outta the racer.

Matt

Tino likes this

Foxbody?  Speakin' of them, the 8.8" is favored over the 9" by some people because it's lighter and has less drag.   And I'm amazed that these cars that are over 4k lbs can 60' under 1.7 without exploding on the first launch. 

66sprint6 likes this

I agree.  I love the 8.8.  500+ wheel torque, 4k lbs and cut a handful of 1.58 60's, 1.6x 60s etc.  I bent factory wheel studs, spun the slicks on the rims, eventually put the stock clutch down and now made some spider gears into shrapnel.  Sounds like a bunch but honestly not really, especially considering how hard it was hooking last year when I would have to bounce it off the limiter to get it to not bog out of the hole!

Upgraded carrier, girdle, welded and braced tubes and aftermarket axles with 9" ends to eliminate the c clips and you have a nasty 8.8.  Im hoping to be able to get away with just an upgraded carrier...maybe a braced girdle style cover to replace the one I beat up for now.

Matt

Ashley P and Disney like this

2 hours ago, 66sprint6 said:

I agree.  I love the 8.8.  500+ wheel torque, 4k lbs and cut a handful of 1.58 60's, 1.6x 60s etc.  I bent factory wheel studs, spun the slicks on the rims, eventually put the stock clutch down and now made some spider gears into shrapnel.  Sounds like a bunch but honestly not really, especially considering how hard it was hooking last year when I would have to bounce it off the limiter to get it to not bog out of the hole!

Upgraded carrier, girdle, welded and braced tubes and aftermarket axles with 9" ends to eliminate the c clips and you have a nasty 8.8.  Im hoping to be able to get away with just an upgraded carrier...maybe a braced girdle style cover to replace the one I beat up for now.

Matt

500 wheel torgue?  Your axles see about 10 times that.

Are your gears 8.8?  If so, is a Detroit locker possible for you?  I've heard they are clanky on turns, but indestructible on launches.

3 hours ago, Ashley P said:

500 wheel torgue?  Your axles see about 10 times that.

Are your gears 8.8?  If so, is a Detroit locker possible for you?  I've heard they are clanky on turns, but indestructible on launches.

Yeah they do.  Im looking at the Eaton TruTrac right now.  Supposed to be great for street and launching.

Matt