JohnC

Poor Mans Jeep or Rich Mans 4-Wheeler?

12 posts in this topic

I'd love to have one, but can't see dropping 10k+ in it

So you'd rather just buy a jeep and rig it up for trails?

I thinks that's what I'd do since these things msrp between $16k-$20k of I read it right.

Sent from my iPhone

I've used Dad's Polaris Ranger quite a bit and love that rig.  A RZR would be a lot more fun, but that Ranger works hard and does the job around the farm.  The only way you can get the thing stuck is if you high center it and get the weight off the wheels.  He got it from a buddy with low hours for $3500.  It's got some scratches and such, but hey, it's not going to any shows or anything. Either way, you can luck into some good deals on a used one, from time to time.

Reason I think these are cool is because they're like mini-jeeps rigged up for trails, but they have a smaller engine so you can last longer out in the sticks and ultimately use less gas.

However, the price on them new is a bit steep for a 4-wheeler based toy! I'd have to think really long and hard before I dropped that much coin for it over a Jeep or similar 4x4.

Geo Tracker or Suzuki Samurai might be another good option if it isn't gonna be street legal...

That reminded me of this:

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes/XT2008-03/green-samurai-part-iii-finale

Now I'd love to find an old 1.9L VW TDI and stick it in a small 4x4 for a trail rig! You could be out on the trail a looong time with a small diesel and not worry about running out of fuel!