Kpate

Harley Makeover - Project Jockey Rocket

56 posts in this topic

Ok, some of you know and some don't, I bought a Harley Sportster earlier this year to use as a commuter bike to and from work. On May 15, I had a wreck on it and it put me on the shelf for a while ( until at least October). While sitting around and looking agt the damage ( broken turn signal, rashed clutch control, bent handlebars) I came up with the idea to turn it into a cafe racer (bobbers/ choppers are like belly buttons these days). This project will be slow and ongoing for multiple reasons:

1) limited use of my right arm, even though it's bionic now
2) Finances (see #1)
3) riding it while wrenching on it (this should get interesting)
4) wife's input (really???? NOT!!!)

Ok here is what it looked like before the wreck:

2013-04-26_16-12-16_787_zps2fcc9502.jpg

This was taken after the wrck and what got me to thinking about the cafe racer. Inverted the bars to check my comfort level..

IMG_20130602_161508_271_zps4fc784d5.jpg

I had already built one piece for it; a fork brace. I'm not paying $180 for a blinged piece of aluminum!!!!

IMG_20130513_174811_214_zpscb283949.jpg

And the souvenir that the wreck gave me.... :eeek: :\ :2fingers:

IMG_20130529_101027_693_zps891f1db1.jpg

I'll be updating this as I tear it down and get parts in.

Awesome project, Pate!!!! :w00t:

I really think a CAFE racer will look freakin' sharp on this style Harley!

And ouch! That shoulder looks painful!

Can't wait to see this project as you build it up! Thanks for sharing! :yes:

Sent from my iPhone

Made some progress yesterday thanks to work having a machine shop. Bars have been ordered and should be here on Friday this week (OEM bars for a 2012 HD Iron 883).

Took the fender off and cut it down. Too late to cry now.....

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/kdpate/IMG_20130708_185459_913_zps48ad8aa7.jpg

"New" rear fender mocked up on the bike with the seat in place. The blue tape on the struts is where they will be cut and rounded off.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/kdpate/IMG_20130708_191739_478_zpsee777e33.jpg

I'll have to de-burr both areas and give them some touch up paint. Right now until the bars come in everything is gonna move slow this week ( plus 2 of my 5 evenings are shot thanks to physical therapy).

Harley Sportster 883R. 883cc engine/ 5 spd trans. Smallest of the lineup and often referred to as a chick bike now due to women ride them. The way I look at it, if I survived the ragging when I had the Miata, I can survive this... :2fingers: Good part is they are a cheap and easy platform for anything (if you can get Bubba to look past his $4k of blink to maker a 3K bike 8k). Neighbor down the street has an 89 Sportster for sale for $4k but can't justify going over 2500 for it even with 11k miles. :rolleyes:

More progress this weekend.....and more issues... :bored::bored:

Got my handlebars in on Friday. I ordered a replacement set that goes on the 2012 Sporter Iron 883 (similar to a tracker bar). I tried it both inverted and in the normal position. Right now I'm much more comfortable with it in the normal position with the way my arm/ seating position is on the bike.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/kdpate/IMG_20130712_175253_792_zps31c60dfa.jpg

Ran into two delimas with the new bars: 1) my flex line going from the front brake M/C to the hard line was roughly 1 1/2" too long :stare: Had to bust onopen the system and re-route it to where it wasn't in a bind. 2) CLutch cable is too long. Another re-route which led me to find out my clutch handle was cracked where it skidded on the pavement. :\ New set is on the way.

I tried cleaning up my cut on the rear fender and it still looked like crap. :rolleyes: Rather than try and spend $$$ to fix it ( and show how rotten my paint skills are with metallics, went to O'reillys and picked up a roll of door trim to hide it. :2fingers:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/kdpate/IMG_20130714_112108_032_zpscaec7015.jpg

Now I'm back into a holding pattern to wait for a few things and try and figure out my tail light/ license plate location/ fitment.....

Not much progress to report as of late. Just waiting on parts to arrive and fixing some little issues with the bike. Did find out one thing for certain: dual front disk harleys have a crush washer that is nearly unobtainable due to its size (12mm vs. the 10mm on the single front disk models). Several attempts at the local parts houses netted me zero and NAPA wanted me to buy a box of 10 AND pay shipping (WTF?!?!?!). Wound up finding them online and got them on the way.

I actually found the washers at J&P Cycles.. :w00t: Did some final buttoning up of some things on the bike Sunday after taking the wife's bike out on a 30 mile run to see how my shoulder would hold up and to run hers a bit (been sitting since March). Happy to say no ill effects with my shoulder and I'm capable of holding the bike with my right arm alone... :up::up::up::cheers:

Now who said it was gonna be 6 months to a year before I could ride again????? :shiftyeyes::shiftyeyes: Try 10 weeks suckers!!!1 :2fingers:

Now who said it was gonna be 6 months to a year before I could ride again????? :shiftyeyes::shiftyeyes: Try 10 weeks suckers!!!1 :2fingers:

My experience with doctors is they speak from the default worst case scenario. :yes:

After I rolled my car back when I was 17 and compressed and fractured some vertebrae in my back (cracked ribs too), they told me I'd never be able to lift any weight again.

About 4 months later I was working full time and lifting weights at home. I wore a back brace and didn't lift much at first, but by the end of it, I was pressing 185lbs over my head and benching over 200lbs when I only weighed between 165-175lbs at near 6ft 2in tall. :lol:

FWIW, you'll find when you have injuries, the better you stay in shape, the less problems you'll have.

As I get more out of shape with age, I do feel my back give me warning when I lift and move certain ways. I'm almost 220lbs now. I need to hit the gym! :lol:

FWIW, you'll find when you have injuries, the better you stay in shape, the less problems you'll have.

As I get more out of shape with age, I do feel my back give me warning when I lift and move certain ways. I'm almost 220lbs now. I need to hit the gym! :lol:

That's what I'm doing right now. I'm watching my diet very close (eating smaller meals) and working out some when I get home with dumb bells and using the Nintendo Wii with the UFC workout game (I know cheesy right?). I've managed to keep myself hovering between 225-230 with no problem at the moment. Had my last therapy session yesterday until I see the orthopedist on the 7th. I think I may ride in that day and prove a point.... :fear:

Got the tracking numbers for the final parts. Should be here no later than Wednesday.... :w00t:

:2fingers:

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv252/sdines/5868-Bering-airbag-jacket-709x480_zpsc11711f8.jpg

*******.... :2fingers:

Bike is about back together..... :w00t:

Had to fix my clutch control where the pavement filed off some metal before re-assembly for my controls. A little JB Weld and some sandpaper love solved this. Added these controls as well...

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/kdpate/IMG_20130721_094913_825_zps53241114.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/kdpate/IMG_20130731_171513_734_zps94f6bc58.jpg

Now to address everyone's favorite subject: wiring. Since I deleted my turn signals and Harley ran a 8 plug wire back to the tail light/ turn signal module, the harness had to be streamlined. Found I only needed three wires and removed the others and wrapped them up in a neat bundle just in case I needed them later on.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/kdpate/IMG_20130728_130547_928_zps9cfefa5a.jpg

Since the rear of the fender got chopped that had the tail light and license plate mount. I had to re-mount them elsewhere on the bike. I found a local company called ACCUFAST that makes bike parts for customization. A trip to their website and a new license plate/ tail light mount for the bike. And in the name of being a cheap *** that is a trailer light I got at TSC. :2fingers: Also went to Hobbytown and picked up a Deans connector to plug and unplug the tail light if I need to do any belt adjustments.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/kdpate/IMG_20130731_172413_191_zpsfa8d0663.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/kdpate/IMG_20130728_130555_363_zpsb71d75e6.jpg

I still have to bleed the front brakes tonight and do a nut and bolt check. Maybe I can clean it up as well for a trip around the block.... :panic::stare::3gears:

Looking good! :yes:

One thing I suck at is electrical. If I had to do a car electrical system, it would probably light up and blink like a Christmas tree by the time I got done screwing it up. :lol:

It's back on the road again..... :w00t:

Took it on a mixed test loop to see if there would be any issues and to get re-acclimated to the bike again. Bike still runs like a top and the brakes still work well. With the new handlebars though, I find myself leaning more forward and with the original seat, I almost feel like I'm gonna do another half gainer over the bars (yeah, I'm still skittish from doing it  :fear: ). The seat on this bike looks good, but it's not the most comfortable piece for a good ride or commute.  :\ Looks like the next thing to be worked on.

Not much to show as of late. I did try to take my seat to a local upholstery shop to have it refoamed and the cover patched where it was torn when I bought the bike. $300!?!?!?! seriously??? Guy kinda had an attitude and I walked out the door. I did stop by JoAnn fabrics on the way home and buy the material to attempt to do it myself (notice I said attempt). The end result sucked donkey ballz :shake:  :shake:  :shake: it was so bad I'm not even gonna post photos of it. So now I'm in the process of picking and ordering a new seat for the bike that is cheaper than the price mentioned above ( the wife is tryin to dictate what I get but her *** ain't the one ridin it)...

Not much to show as of late. I did try to take my seat to a local upholstery shop to have it refoamed and the cover patched where it was torn when I bought the bike. $300!?!?!?! seriously??? Guy kinda had an attitude and I walked out the door. I did stop by JoAnn fabrics on the way home and buy the material to attempt to do it myself (notice I said attempt). The end result sucked donkey ballz :shake:  :shake:  :shake: it was so bad I'm not even gonna post photos of it. So now I'm in the process of picking and ordering a new seat for the bike that is cheaper than the price mentioned above ( the wife is tryin to dictate what I get but her ass ain't the one ridin it)...

Wow! $300? :stare:

Seriously, Harley stuff has always been a bit pricey, especially the custom stuff.

Wow! $300? :stare:

Seriously, Harley stuff has always been a bit pricey, especially the custom stuff.

You ain't kidding. I wanted a new HD hitch cover. $50. F you.

Lookin good Pate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Where da progress, Pate! :hyper:

You ain't kidding. I wanted a new HD hitch cover. $50. F you.

Lookin good Pate.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Not much progress to report on it John. Just riding it to and from work and making adjustments to it when I get home. I have a slight misfire going on the front cylinder at idle so I'll pull the plugs and check them. I'm designing out a few more parts and waffling between two or three seats for the bike.

Sean, I'm un-Harleying a Harley at this point....lol