Cannon Fodder

Fox Mustang: Next Purchase

685 posts in this topic

Yes it will. Unless you just want to buy a press, you can use my 30 ton. I have an OTC ball joint tool set also that is better than a press. I have an OTC bearing splitter for all the bearings. And I work for OTC as an added bonus should any of it not work.

higherpowerracing likes this

Miiikkkkeeee,

I need your expertise, I broke a bolt.....in the WP.....  In the words of Dizzy.....FMLT.....

I got 4 loose and they were dry as can be, so I bet the other 2 may snap also.  I have been soaking them in PB for months.

Glad to know you work for OTC, I was looking at a few of their tools.  Are you a dealer, distrib, or engineer?

Edited by Cannon Fodder

lrs-8501bhdw_3372.jpg

Number 2 broke.

I got 1, 3, 4 and 5 loose.

I hit on  the bottom 6 a little but it seems stuck and I couldn't get enough leverage with a wrench with the top 6, so it looks like the blower will have to come completely off.

Yeah, the timing cover will have to come off.  The bolt is probably corroded so bad it's welded to the timing cover.  Once you get the timing cover off around the bolt, it should come out with vise grips.  You'll need a long pry bar to get the timing cover off the bolt, maybe some heat and ATF to loosen it up also.

Engineer with what is now Bosch Automotive Service Solutions (Kent Moore, Rotunda, OTC, SPX and TechMate tools)

I figured the timing cover will have to come off, what about getting the other two bolts loose without breaking them?

I really don't want to destroy the timing cover, I have read where people cut them off.

Hope for the best prepare for the worst. There isn't a magic cure. You can't drill the bolt because it will walk into the aluminum cover. Try some CLR to see if it will eat the corrosion.

If you're superstitious, sacrifice the neighbors cat.

CLR.jpg

CLR on the other two bolts?  Just put it in a spray bottle and soak it?

Note, working with a pinched nerve sucks.

CLR.jpg

CLR on the other two bolts? Just put it in a spray bottle and soak it?

For the two on there, just see what happens when you loosen them. With the bolts tight nothing can get to the corrosion. They may not have any. It's a crap shoot at this point.

It's worth a try on the one already broken. If it can get to the corrosion, it should eat it and help get the timing cover off.

Note, working with a pinched nerve sucks.

Are you trying to say you need me to sacrifice the cat? There are none left in my neighbord. They saw the altar in my back yard and headed to your side of Hendersonville.
mstrpth likes this

Are you trying to say you need me to sacrifice the cat? There are none left in my neighbord. They saw the altar in my back yard and headed to your side of Hendersonville.

Poop.  I guess I will start pulling the blower off tomorrow morning and smack the others with a hammer and an impact.

I pinched a nerve in my back about 3 weeks ago.  I have limited strength in my left arm and pain that comes and goes between my shoulderblade, upper arm, forearm and hand.  I did get some strength back in my left hand this week but half my thumb is still numb.

My arm was killing me when I unboxed the wheels and put them back up.

Edited by Cannon Fodder

You are hosed a rubber mallet and a pry bar just became your best friends.

Yeah I should have replaced it when I put the blower on.

That is what I did to the one that broke, 1/2 on its lowest setting. I guess I will pick up a cheap 3/8 tomorrow.

I wonder if it would help to pop them with an air hammer?

Torch.  Heat it till almost melted (orange), let it cool a while, then vice grips.  If the vice grips don't hold, weld a nut to the stud.  The second heating (via the weld) and the nut almost always works.  If not, throw the ford away and go LS. Bandwagon FTW!

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-or-s.a.-gear-timing-set-3-piece-73054/3690628-P?searchTerm=timing+set+#fragment-2

Good enough or should I see what Speed Sport has to offer in stock? 

Running out of money in my budget for the month and if I end up at Summit or Jegs I will end up buying a few other things....... :lol:

Can some of you guys check your cam timing wheels for the center hole size?  I have heard that some of them will not fit on the Comp crank socket.

Thanks.

Ahh, the notorious broken Ford bolt! Had one broken in the water pump in the old 302 in the 87 F250.

Yeap, what a pain.  What really hurt is when I went to Delk and the guy pulled the two bolts out of two different cars with just a ratchet and WD-40.  I used a bunch of PB, ratchet, ball pein, air hammer, 3/8s impact with no movement and finally the 1/2 impact which snapped them.

Since your motor is stock, any should work. I would personally go with a name brand (cloyes).  Save the adjustable for when you build a new motor.

Put a gear drive in the new motor since you can't really hear the Paxton.  :rofl:

Edited by Cannon Fodder