Cannon Fodder

Fox Mustang: Next Purchase

721 posts in this topic

I may add resonators with an engine swap/header/midpipe later but for now just doing simple bolt ons, thanks for the offer though.

JohnC likes this

It's all relative. I'm sure thay re quieter than something. Flows? Glasspacks? No muffler at all?

I use the Ultraflows quite a bit. Always happy with them.

JohnC likes this

On 12/28/2018 at 7:23 PM, Cannon Fodder said:

Closer to getting rid of the Crane box:

IMAG0710.jpg

IMAG0711.jpg

I just now realized you bought the Holley coil kit. Man... That was not cheap!

I'm trying to figure out what all parts i'll need for the Holley on my SBF. I'll be using LS coils, Crank trigger, Cam Sync (Explorer), and probably just EV1 injectors. Holley has more harnesses that Carter has liver pills.

Yeah tell me about it.  That is the big wire kit, I caught it on sale last Nov.  It was $100 more during their sale this Nov.  I still have to figure out where I want the coils, hoping I can do the LS mounting style and clear the intake in some manner.  I haven't had the time to assemble my spare engine and start mocking.

I also have the 36-1 SBF crank trigger setup that I bought the year before I think.  I got the harness for the crank trigger/cam sync along with the SBF harness with the CNP wiring this year but haven't gotten the cam sync, probably will use the MSD.  I have the CNP overlay harness to add to my existing harness but figured this would be easier. I can use my existing harness somewhere else, as Mike will verify I made every effort to not modify the Holley harness. 

The good thing is that basically it is plug and play with some config in the software.

Eventually I guess it will be a full race setup on a e7 motor?  :lol:

I can't remember if I have all the PNs listed in this thread of what I ended up with, but I can probably guess all of it if you need them.  There is so many options it gets confusing.

Posted (edited)

I'm not married to any one EFI. I currently have Haltech Platinum Sport 2000 on my Lincoln. Like it, but want a better ECU. So, the HP looks good for what i'm doing with it vs the Haltech Elite 2000. Mainly just cost. But, all these harnesses might put the Haltech back in the car. Seriously, all these Holley harnesses are confusing as hell. I need to make a spreadsheet to compare them but need to know what all Holley harnesses i'd need.

Edited by Disney

To piece it together with the CNP wiring as I see it:

558-308-Power

558-118-Main Harness for Ford with main CNP wiring---This is the harness I just got.

558-209-SBF injector harness

The cam/crank sync I'm unsure of, I got the 558-431 which is PNP for the Holley crank kit and MSD cam sync.....Link

The other options are:

558-410--SBC/BBC?

558-306--Flying Lead, build your own.

https://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?18726-DIS-Conversion-From-Distributor&p=83113#post83113

I started with the 558-508 kit.

Disney likes this

15 hours ago, Cannon Fodder said:

To piece it together with the CNP wiring as I see it:

558-308-Power

558-118-Main Harness for Ford with main CNP wiring---This is the harness I just got.

558-209-SBF injector harness

The cam/crank sync I'm unsure of, I got the 558-431 which is PNP for the Holley crank kit and MSD cam sync.....Link

The other options are:

558-410--SBC/BBC?

558-306--Flying Lead, build your own.

https://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?18726-DIS-Conversion-From-Distributor&p=83113#post83113

I started with the 558-508 kit.

Thanks a lot for that! Very helpful!

Do you by chance know the difference between https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/hp_efi/hp_harnesses/parts/558-209 and https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/dominator_efi/harnesses/parts/558-213

I also had a thread over on the Holley forums you may find useful.

https://forums.holley.com/showthread.php?19927-Harness-Questions

Feel free to post in it as it would be useful to keep track of stuff, Danny is quite knowledgeable, though a little short at times.

The only question I had thinking about it later was what is the difference between the modular injector layout and the SBF?  Never really looked at the modulars that hard.

And anyone know what the part number is for a replacement rag joint?

LMR has one, Dorman 31000, but only lists to '89 and Dorman doesn't even list it to fit the Mustang.

1 hour ago, Disney said:

yes, i've done ONE. 

Details? Problems? Etc? 

Thinking about one for the coupe as they are easy to find vs C4 or AOD though the Baumann is a little expensive.  Though a manual valve body or a Holley is an option too.

1 hour ago, Disney said:

I pulled the trigger on a Holley HP. Looking forward to pulling my hair out over these damn harnesses. Wonder i'f i'm better off getting them through a local dealer?

TSS, Hunters and some others are Holley dealers but my guess is they would have to order everything, doubt they have any of it in stock.

https://www.holley.com/holley_efi_dealers/

You can add the CNP stuff to the 558-508 kit with 558-307, my original plan and then they came out with the 558-118.

17 hours ago, Cannon Fodder said:

Details? Problems? Etc? 

Thinking about one for the coupe as they are easy to find vs C4 or AOD though the Baumann is a little expensive.  Though a manual valve body or a Holley is an option too.

Zero problems. Everything was a bolt in deal. 

Car useage will determine MVB or ECU controlled. From what ive' seen in this thread and the 12 miles or so I assume the car's been driven in the past 10-15 years, I think the MVB would be fine. If you ever intend on driving it regularly, then an ECU controlled trans might be nicer.