Ashley P

Manual trans failures

18 posts in this topic

I mentioned that as a professional (26 years) I've seen many more failures of automatics than manuals.  Diz correctly pointed out that there are many times more automatics produced.  I got to thinking about every manual failure I can recall that I've worked on/been a part of. 

At work:

1998 S10:  2nd gear synchro and shifter under warranty. 

Fox body T5, leaked fluid and seized.  Put in a used one.

7.3 powestroke 6 speed, customer scheduled a clutch replacement and I did so.  As I reinstalled the trans, I checked the fluid.  There was none.  I found  roller bearings in the bottom of the case from the input to mainshaft bearing.

5.9 Cummins, nv4500, tightened 5th gear nut. 

5.9 Cummins NVG5600, 6th gear bad, co worker replaced it, I got the core to rebuild and...haven't got around to it yet. lol  Thought it would be great in the 2 ton...

At home:

LUV truck 5 speed, broken cluster due to bearing failure.

Muncie 4 speed, my brother's Chevelle, got in 2 forward gears at once, so much pressure on the gears that I could not pull it out of gear.  Ruined cluster.

Muncie 4, my dad's GTO.  Third time he let me drive it unsupervised it threw a U joint at 5000ish RPM/100ish MPH.  Bent the mainshaft destroying the bellhousing, tailhousing, tossing reverse into couldn'tfinditland.  Thankfully it was a LeMans trans, the original is reinstalled.

Edit to add:

My youngest brother broke a couple T5 in his Fox.  Then he broke the case of a Toploader in the same car.

35 years ago, at Holiday family get togethers at my "granny's", I'd play in the pile of broken Muncie parts in her shed (from my uncles' dirt dragsters, no lift shifts at 8000+ rpm with large paddle tires shelled many cluster teeth.)

Edited by Ashley P

Well, I'm kind of ignoring torque converters also.   Sound fair?   

I honestly don't think many TC cause autotragic failures, but I built a pretty good th400 that got thrown away after a TCI 2500 stall became a 0 stall.  Pontiac 455, ported heads, roller cam TORQUE.

Edited by Ashley P

Clutches are wear items, just like ATF filters.  I'm not counting filter changes in my 2.3 million failures. ;)

BTW, todays job, auto replacement 2006 Mariner.  Nissan for next Tuesday is a clutch....

23 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Well, I'm kind of ignoring torque converters also.   Sound fair?   

I honestly don't think many TC cause autotragic failures, but I built a pretty good th400 that got thrown away after a TCI 2500 stall became a 0 stall.  Pontiac 455, ported heads, roller cam TORQUE.

Yeah, I think you should be counting TC in your data. 

So preventative maintenance of filter and fluid is the same to you as a worn out clutch? I guess I could see it that way, if I were blinded by my own personal affection for one over the other. But, being unbiased in this discussion, I cannot see it that way. Oil changes =/= engine failure. Fluid changes =/= transmission failure. Clutch failure = M/T failure. Torque converter failure = A/T failure. 

Well, I think the clutch falls somewhere in the middle.   Clutches are like brake pads, a wear item that some drivers can milk for decades and others tear up annually.  I can't call it a trans failure when the clutch breaks.  I only replace the clutch at that point, not the trans also. 

You got any access to OEM stats on build data vs warranty claims?   Top secret?

What if an input shaft twists off?   Is that a failure of the automatic?   455 with 2.41 gears will do that...

Ive broken a bunch of both...(and still have less $$$ in all of them than @JohnC has in his spensive auto thats also blown up).  :roflmao: sorry had to.

They all break...

Also...what Ive noticed personally is that Ive often been the culprit in the manuals breaking where as the Autos usually were just failures while cruising around normally.  Old age, miles etc have been at fault.  Ive actually never broken a Manual due to old age or random failure to date and have had QUITE a few around.  

To further split the penalties for each side...I currently have two 60's Mustangs sitting at my house, both with bum transmissions, both busted on the same trip, same weekend, nearly the same location as well.  One is an auto, the other a manual.  Penalties offset, 2nd down.

Matt

Disney and Ashley P like this

I've had a rash of manual trans failures lately.   I turned 2 customers away that had synchro issues.  CrAzEE!

Disney likes this

Disney, could you point me in the direction of information so I can learn about forces of clutch dumps?  An engine might have potential for 500 lb ft of toque at clutch dump RPM/time, but how is flywheel (all inertia) factored into figuring torque output?