66sprint6

Dirt roads in Middle TN

8 posts in this topic

So most of yall know that I take my Son(s) on nap drives most every day if I can manage and on our last drive, Luke piped up from the back about wanting to "put offroad tires on the truck today".  I laughed and said, well...I have all terrains on there they are kinda offroad tires.  He excitedly responded "THEN LETS GO OFFROAD DADDY!!!".  To tell the truth I woulda taken him then and there to the closest patch of dirt I could find just to make him happy but therein lies the issue.  I dont know of ANYWHERE around here that you can get off the pavement for a quick moment that isnt private property or way too technical/rocky or muddy for a Full Size on AT's to handle.  Ive looked at a couple websites that allow folks to list dirt and gravel roads but dont want to end up anywhere sketchy or that Im a nuisance if that makes sense.

Anyone know of any good, public dirt roads or areas that I can oblige the 3yo in the back seat (and the 3yo in the driver's seat) in the Middle TN area?

I appreciate any help guys

Matt

JohnC likes this

23 hours ago, Disney said:

Cedars of Lebanon used to have miles and miles of non-paved roads. Not sure if they still do or not.

Damned if we didn't stumble across quite a few of those roads today!  Found an old post on a motorcycle forum about it and went looking.  Most of the roads were closed but two were open and one led to a power line trail that was sooooooupy so we didn't spend long on it being that we were alone.  TONS of fun was had by all so we will be doing this more often!  

20210207_161809.jpg

Matt

JohnC and mstrpth like this

Unfortunately not of the Cedar's roads, they were great fun tho.  Not well maintained so it was a fun ride.  The powerline trail was basically just a slip and slide but we got off it quick.  I want to verify that were not trespassing (despite a lack of any signs anywhere) or pissing anyone off before we go back on those again.  I can see some fun to be had once they dry up just a smidge and if we have permission to ride them.  Otherwise the dirt road sections were 100% what we were looking for in a quick adventure!  I will try to get some pics and video next time out.

Matt 

Went out again with Luke today and remembered to take some pics of the rougher dirt/gravel road in the Park.

20210213_111827.jpg

Super easy, wide and no chance of damaging anything really if you stay on the main road.  Most of the side trails are either closed or way too tight/muddy to mess with for us but we did get off onto a more narrower trail at one point with a couple big water holes. 

20210213_115221.jpg

20210213_115256.jpg

Water was JUST at the bottom of the door in the big hole and just under it in the smaller one.  Originally I hit the smaller puddle and went down the trail a bit before I decided to turn back as the trail is SUPER narrow back in here and hit the bigger puddle on accident.  I had to turn around after it and hit both again to come back out.  Ill be buffing out small TN Pinstripes after that little side trip :lol:

I wont be going back there again anytime soon LOL

The rest of the main road gets a little worse as you go but we still did it in 2wd on slightly spinning a tire on one slicker spot of rusty colored mud.  I tried not to tear up the road any more than it already was so we took it easy and enjoyed ourselves.

20210213_114723.jpg

20210213_121232.jpg

All in all another successful trip off the pavement and another happy adventure with the Little Dude.  

20210213_120505.jpg

Were lookin at hitting up some similar roads in the Bon Aqua area here next and then maybe a trip out to LBL for some trail riding.

Matt

mstrpth, Tino and Disney like this

Water puddles?   How odd looking!   We haven't had those in a week or so.  (And I'm about to put the kids on the pond.) \

I think you need to head NW to find solid ground and snow to play in.  :) 

Edited by Ashley P

It's likely alot more solid today but we didn't bother going out today in the slick to find out.  We broke through some thin ice at quite a few of the puddles while out Sat but it hasn't been cold enough long enough just yet.

Matt