JohnC

The Baby Hauler (2019 F150 XLT Super Crew FX4 2.7L Ecoboost)

21 posts in this topic

So I plan to do a few things to this truck.

So far, the list will be:

(1) Tint the front two windows and windshield.

(2) Weather Tech Mud Flaps Done!

(3) Catch can

(4) Katzkin leather seats

(5) LED headlights and taillights. 

(6) AMP tailgate extender

(7) Console Vault

A part of me wants to do performance mods, but the primary use for this truck is to be a baby hauler and not void the warranty. If I do anything, it might be a drop in high flow air filter and tune at the most. :yes: 

Just for future reference....

2019 F-150 XLT Super Crew FX4 with 2.7L Twin Turbo Eco Boost 325hp / 400tq

618EAD4E-803D-4F65-870A-C93F70735120.jpeg

B5D98D61-B380-4C3D-B408-ACF55FF8696A.jpeg

A8D816FA-9320-420E-90D0-F144D16541F7.jpeg

70268734-C644-4314-B2FB-DC1E67027553.jpeg

ACE9AEF4-E9E7-476F-9435-9FBAE7378CC4.jpeg

F67DC2B5-CD1D-4AFE-9077-3276133449B5.jpeg

EA0B6CFC-61A3-4B4B-8DB1-5D6635BE2786.jpeg

F389A8CD-230B-4C9B-89D4-DB9B555C77A8.jpeg

5837B643-DAA4-46F3-AB40-938C387FB66A.jpeg

C92E5512-3A72-4C64-BF10-9E865F4E4396.jpeg

8FC7F5BD-8F12-4F27-BE18-549BCA4FD48C.jpeg

ED32A7E1-98A5-495F-BABD-5047EE9609FF.jpeg

8E0E30E1-4D1E-4993-8995-05D0EDF411AF.jpeg

6CC98453-BA27-4E12-B8B1-88E231FA8756.jpeg

D76B0EED-6ED9-4E8D-99C9-A3F069DACA7A.jpeg

0A1A5B58-74BD-4203-AA6C-E36E336A54BB.png

2FB4402D-2D7A-4C24-9CEB-D17C50AB53BF.jpeg

Tino likes this

1 minute ago, Ashley P said:

I see so many MAF failures from "high flow air filters" that I'd recommend NOT using one.

They do have the dry filters.... Do they still mess up the MAF? 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

They do have the dry filters.... Do they still mess up the MAF? 

I don't know what a "dry filter" is.   I only know that a higher flowing filter that's the same physical size as stock it gonna have "bigger holes" for the air to pass through.  And I cringe when I see the dirt inside a diesel intake tube down wind of it.

1 hour ago, Ashley P said:

I see so many MAF failures from "high flow air filters" that I'd recommend NOT using one.

I second that. I'd stick with high quality stock type filters. Wix and OEm Ford parts.

JohnC likes this

As much as i love the factory running boards, they are not low enough for my mother-in-law. :no: 

She has nearly slipped a handful of times getting in and out of the F150.

For a 75 year old, a broken hip or something would be like a death blow.

So I need to add to the list, some running board spacers or drop brackets. if I can't find them, maybe I can have some custom spacers made.

If I can't do that, I'll probably have to drop some coin on the electric / auto running boards because since they tuck back under the truck cab, they seem to make them a bit lower and further out from the cab in extended position.

This one is made for lifted trucks, so it drops down like 3 extra inches. https://www.amp-research.com/powerstep-xl-running-board/2019/ford/f-150

77151-01a_v5_2.jpg

77151-01a_v4_2-1.jpg

77151-01a_v3_2-1.jpg

Features and Benefits

• AMP Research's Powerstep XL Running Boards automatically extend a step when your Ford F150 doors open, and retract when closed
  • AMP Powerstep XL extends to 15" inches (3" more than standard Powerstep) in one second instantly offering a convenient and safer entry or exit
  • Running Board integrated into a custom rocker rail
  • Created with durable and extra strong aluminum with a stylish black finish
  • LED lights come standard to illuminate your steps in the dark
  • 600 lbs load capacity
  • Uses a heavy duty motor with pinch-proof safety technology
  • Entirely weatherproof, maintenance-free
  • Includes all required mounting hardware
  • AMP Research Products are proudly made in the USA with a 5 year/60,000 mile warranty

AS far as your windows go, give Todd Blum at Blum's window tinting a look on FB, he did my Traverse and the price couldn't be beat, also uses quality tint too that's actually made in Tennessee

JohnC likes this

Measured the step height on both trucks. :yes: 

The Tundra is 10 inches from the ground to the top of the step.

The F150 is 15 inches from the ground to the top of the step.

So it makes sense why my mother-in-law is having trouble getting in/out of the F150 and not the Tundra. 

I doubt I'd find a spacer to get that step down that low and plus it probably would look odd.

So the electric running board looks like the best choice since it drops lower and then tucks under the truck. 

11 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Mudflaps on concrete?   You city slicker!  :) 

It was more about leaving the car wash and the tires picking up crap and slinging it all over the sides of the truck.

I washed it last night and didn't do the blow dry to see if they help.

It was MUCH better.

Hardly anything was on the body of the truck.

So I'm satisfied with the mud flaps. :pleased: 

Check out the mpg’s vs engine hours.

Keep in mind, I turned off the start stop junk and had the AC on the whole time.

The highest mileage was highway with a little city driving, and the rest was a lot of slow back roads, neighborhood driving and idling.

Almost 8 hours engine run time at 178.5 miles.

That's an average of 22.31 miles an hour or about 0.37 miles a minute. :lol: 

120019809_10108076268884595_671417807214

120014885_10108076268859645_398246427213

119984370_10108076268934495_839371122884

Ill buy your factory steps from you if you ever swap.  I have some black tubular (ninja turtles popped into my head while typing that LOL) style and want the lower profile stockers with the chrome.  

As for filters, I removed mine entirely at the track last Tues and saw NO difference other than a tiny bit more turbo whistle down low.  Stock airbox and filter seems to be really good as it is!  

Matt

JohnC likes this

Have you calculated mpg at the pump manually yet?  These readings are apparently notoriously high (called the lie-o-meter on the ecoboost forums).  My consistently reads 2 mpg higher than actual calculations Im finding.

Also, I noticed the leaf on your display.  Do you run around in Eco mode ever?  It takes my truck from feeling like a light weight smaller truck to a fat heavy full size but it does work.  Im playing with all the settings lately just for fun and like tow/haul best for forward shifting, Sport for POWAAAAH, normal and eco for down shifting and economy.  My normal mode used to be terrible but after the pcm update at the dealership it shifted way better with the revised tuning.  Once it learned my driving it got even better but it still has days where I swear it goes back to crap and shifts funky in 1-5.  Honestly...the main reason I want a tune will be for smoother shifting down low.  I used to hate the auto start stop but it has shown a marked increase in mpg around the Boro for me.  I turn it off in stop and go traffic tho.  Its also wonderful to have in the staging lanes at the track LOL

All in all these trucks are really amazing and Im loving mine despite the little wiggles it has that will be sorted here shortly.  If things ever go south with this one I can see trading in on another without a doubt.

Matt

I ran it in Eco on the trip I posted the mpg's and trip time, but with start / stop off.

I couldn't tell much of a difference in power as I was on CC at 70 mph up I-24 to Clarksville and putting around neighborhoods looking at new houses. 

Sport is fun from a dig.

Eco... Still need more time with it.

Normal feels OK.

I've not tried the other modes yet....

It does the skip shift a lot in Normal, but it's not too bad. 

I had one occasion after I first got it where it hesitated and hunted for a gear when I was trying to jump out of a stopped lane to the open lane right next to me about the same time a BMW M came down the lane I was in and tried to pass at speed right when the truck finally moved. I about got rear ended, but those M brakes saved us both.

I think it has learned my driving because I've not felt it do that since.

I do run 93 pump in it now though because start / stop it seemed to clatter / knock on start. It doesn't sound that way on the 93 now. 

I too have noticed that mine runs better in Normal and Eco on 93 and it def getting 2-3 mpg average better all around.  Highway there isnt much difference in feel except it makes the pedal feel heavier in mine in Eco, again like Im driving a heavier truck than in Normal.  I actually kinda like it on crummy rainy days like today, makes the truck feel more planted and smooth, less tire spin and such.  It takes some getting used to, and some of it getting used to you as a driver but once it all gels it makes for a pretty enjoyable drive.  Despite some of the small issues and back and forth with the dealer to correct them, I really have found an appreciation for this thing.  Alot quicker than some of the other cars Ive owned in the past even.  Hell of a family hauler for sure and it still does alot of other things I demand from a truck really well!

Matt

It's hard to resist doing at least a tune only on this truck.

Maybe a nGauge to have a 87, and 93 octane tune. 

Too bad these trucks aren't flex fuel.

Ford dropped the ball on that one. 

Anyone sell a Flex Fuel setup for these trucks with tuning?

All the major players do and do some looking, 2.7's apparently dont need much if anything to run flex fuel blends.  5 Star, Unleashed and MPT all have really awesome Flex tunes and 87/89/93 tunes as well as Octane Adjusting tunes that will allow you to run whatever you want whenever you want without changine the tune which I want for DD and road trip duty!

Matt

JohnC likes this