Raceall

Ragland Boys Race and Repair Shop Truck

Rate this topic:

17 posts in this topic

Dad texted me about a truck in a local classified ad and suggested that I go look at it.  It would have been cheaper if I hadn't. LOL

95 Chevy rolling chassis, 2wd, swb. Belltech 4/6 lowering kit, new Flowmaster exhaust.  Straight and solid body with no rust.  The hood has a couple of dings and you can tell it has had stuff in the bed.  It's a TrailQuest conversion truck with leather interior that is a touch grungy but all intact.  I had never heard of a TrailQuest.  I've wanted a lowered truck for many years, and at the price, I couldn't pass it up.  At this point, the plan is to pull the engine and transmission out of the Nova, and put in the truck.  With the Street Machine Nationals being moved to October, I plan to have it ready to take up there.

ShopTruck.jpg

Kevin, JohnC, Tino and 1 other like this

I like that body style a lot here lately, especially steppers.  I think it's because they were so popular back in the 90s.  They were everywhere.  I used to hate them and Fox Mustangs.  Now, the nostalgia bug has hit me and I want both.

It sounds like it is set up pretty good and will be nice with a healthy small block.  I'd still like to put a strong 454 in one.  Pull all the grandpa chrome trim off and lose the factory wheels  You'll have a nice ride then.

66sprint6 likes this

When we were all running around, if you had a nice, lowered truck (or a brown Isuzu P'up), you were somebody.  I've always wanted one to play around with.

I'm okay with the chrome, but the wheels have got to go.  The interior need a good cleaning.  I have a 454 that I could build for it or the Nova.  On my way to church, as I passed by a buddy's place, I remembered that he has an LS1 laying around.

Posted (edited)

Was 1995 the year they updated the interior?  Who came up with the 1988-1994 (?) dash and gauge package?  Remember those goofy no-needle gauges and the "oops, we forgot the gauges" style box they were in?  The interior in the later trucks was really nice looking.  The steering wheel alone was 1000 times better.  Those trucks looked really good lowered especially with a stepper bed.  I want one.

Edited by Kevin

On 5/17/2020 at 11:43 PM, Raceall said:

At this point, the plan is to pull the engine and transmission out of the Nova, and put in the truck.

Whaaa??    :???:

NOVA is JILTED!

2 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Whaaa??    :???:

NOVA is JILTED!

Not necessarily.  I found out that the truck had been LS swapped by my buddy, when he owned it.  If I can find a 5.3 or a 6.0 cheap enough, I may just go back with an LS, and I won't go backwards with the Nova.

Ashley P likes this

My M.I.L. has a 94 step side RCSB that I LS swapped a few years ago. I can't imagine a circumstance that would have me putting a SBC back into one with the abundance of cehap reliable LS motors out there. They are so much better in every single way. They are also very easy to install and wire up. I did out a small cam in her's and used a Trailblazer 6cyl converter which all pepped it up a decent bit. It's a fun little hot rod when I drive it and it's Gram's old truck when Grams drives it. Also knocks down mig-high 20's mpg on the hwy.

Raceall, JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

What "LS" is left on the truck?   If all LS is gone, you probably should look for a wrecked LS truck/car to sway engine/trans/harness/computer all in one package.

Disney cracks me up that an LS is better "in every single way".   Wait till the EMP and try to get that LS to run.   I'll be makin' a killin' selling my stash of points distributors for small blocks

Tino likes this

7 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Disney cracks me up that an LS is better "in every single way".   Wait till the EMP and try to get that LS to run.   I'll be makin' a killin' selling my stash of points distributors for small blocks

Other than holding your boat exactly where you want it, what is a SBC better at than an LS?

mstrpth and JohnC like this

It's better at blowing header gaskets.  You can get a much better selection of chrome valve covers from autozone.  1 word, Edelbrock.  It doesn't have any of those unamerican metric bolts.  SBC wins points at the car show all day every day.  Dale Earnhardt didn't have no stupid LS in the old number 3.

mstrpth, JohnC, Disney and 2 others like this

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Disney said:

Other than holding your boat exactly where you want it, what is a SBC better at than an LS?

With the LS being superior, it's difficult to find a good answer.  How about it doesn't have a cheap rubber O-ring sealing the oil pickup tube?   Why do LS engines starve for oil pressure when an oil filter is neglected, is the bypass on a SBC better than no bypass on an LS?

I agree that the LS is better from a modern standpoint.  But no joke, I'd rather have an engine that's controlled mechanically if I wanted to depend on it for survival.  New stuff is too computerized....I found a "Human Vehicle Interface Module" on a chevy truck the other day.  I had/have no idea what that's for.

And Mike, you forgot the SBC is better for powering a horse drawn hay cutter on my Amish farm. ;) 

Edited by Ashley P