Ashley P

Clutch won't release, 2001 "z06"

22 posts in this topic

A highly modified 2001 corvette claiming to be a z06.  Customer stated clutch doesn't work, clutch fluid is dirty.  I told him if the fluid level is good (not leaking) the problem is likely the clutch master cylinder.  He brings in the car, the clutch will not release, but the pedal feels normal.  Normal meaning there is a firmness to the travel as if it's pushing pretty hard against something.  I've never seen a clutch master bypass it's fluid AND still have a firm pedal.  The fluid IS very dirty black like most failed master cylinders that I see.

Googling around I found a post about a non releasing C5 clutch that was not fixed by a master replacement, and he had several recommendations for a slave replacement, the claim being that the slave can get "bound up" or something.  Anybody got any dealings with something similar?

Well, it's wasn't the master cylinder...now to see if he wants to go for a clutch/slave replacement.  Man, that's about a 9 hour job.

Customer wants me to replace the clutch.  GM service info says that anytime the clutch is replaced, the "flywheel must be replaced".  I guess they are match balanced?\

Customer just bought this car.  Paperwork says it's got a Trextralia clutch.  This engine is not stock, the cam "hits" hard at 1100 rpm, doesn't clear out till closer to 3k.  On a free rev it sounded schweet at about 4k.   The car is claimed to have 501 whp.   With that limited info, what clutch should it get?  (Loaded question!)

I cleared a lot of this week's schedule to take this car apart.  Now I realize it's got long, long, long tube headers which look to be molded around the bellhouseing.   Fun2:shiftyeyes:

JohnC likes this

Well, this continues to be odd.  The clutch disc was STUCK to the flywheel. It's a sprung 6 puck disc and I tried tapping each puck with a hammer, but it took a screwdriver to pry them off the flywheel. Bits of fiber remain on the wheel.   Discoloration says it was pretty hot.

I recommended a McCleod street twin setup...customer says he's outta work and broke and wants to put in a new disc and just clean up the flywheel and pressure plate.   OK, but it's on you....

JohnC and Disney like this

I would much rather do it by the book.  However, this is an old hotrodder who understands the risks.  I repeatedly told him he did NOT want to go back into this thing.

And this morning he called to say go ahead with what I recommended.   The McLeod street twin is ordered.

mstrpth, Disney and JohnC like this

Heh heh..   I'm not sure.  But he was standing by the car yesterday (car in the air, rear end/torque tube on moving dollies) and admitted to thinking the transmission was in the front.  lol

Those long tubes were bolted to AFR heads.  The rear diff/trans has a girdle around it.

JohnC likes this

Anybody every ridden a horse?   Ever had one that just wanted to run and you had to hold the reins short enough it couldn't?   That's this car.    My old hotrod had about 350-375 hp at the wheel (3700 lbs at 111 mph).  This car claims 500 whp.  I'd tend to agree with that.  3rd gear spins at the speed limit.

Disney, JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

9 hours ago, Disney said:

don't go gettin all gushy about LS engines now!

Sure, after changing the heads and cam!  (...and having 7 yo Michelins on it...and daily driving a Corolla)  it does seem spunky.  lol

JohnC, Disney and mstrpth like this

Leaded fuels kill O2 sensors, right?

Customer brought the car by, it runs terribly if RPM < 3200, or TP < about 66%, or STFT is -20.   It has no torque and is missing (randomly?) until in an instant the STFT goes to 0 and the car gains about 75 hp.  It chirped the tires once in 2nd gear when it "cleared out".  After that it runs.....nicely.   lol

JohnC likes this

Posted (edited)

Oh nevermind....

The customer traded his car for a helicopter ride to Vanderbilt.  It's totalled and he's got bleeding on the brain. 

He drives harder than JohnC. :yes:

Edited by Ashley P

On 10/3/2020 at 4:54 PM, Ashley P said:

Oh nevermind....

The customer traded his car for a helicopter ride to Vanderbilt.  It's totalled and he's got bleeding on the brain. 

He drives harder than JohnC. :yes:

I hope you're kidding?!?!?!? :meh:

Did he really just total that car and mess himself up? 

Posted (edited)

He's back home, very sore.  Broken wrists, collarbone.   The LF of the car is demolished, he was supposedly ejected.

Edited by Ashley P