Kevin

The Challenger is Home

75 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2019 at 8:48 PM, Kevin said:

Chrysler was smart enough to avoid paying royalties.

Well, I'd read that Pontiac paid $5 per car...did Chrysler not pay anything?  How'd they do that?

11 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Well, I'd read that Pontiac paid $5 per car...did Chrysler not pay anything?  How'd they do that?

I have read the same.  Chrysler used the T/A logo.  I guess they could claim that it stood for something else.  You really couldn't prove it stood for Trans/Am even though that was the purpose of the car.  Chrysler probably should have used the money they saved on Trans Am and gotten Burt Reynolds before Pontiac did.  ;) 

I was going down the road today in "track" mode.  I switched it to "street" mode and you could feel the power decrease and the exhaust got a quite a bit quieter.  I think the active exhaust is pretty cool.  I can tone it down in my neighborhood and let it sound mean on the highway.  I don't know why people buy those active exhaust delete/simulator kits.  You are removing a cool feature from your car.

I also haven't noticed the skip shift feature on this car at all.  I have done the one-two shift and various rpms and speeds.  It hasn't locked me out of second gear or made me go to fourth gear once.  I guess I will install this skip shift eliminator, that I bought before thanking delivery, on my brother's Challenger R/T.

Edited by Kevin
JohnC likes this

I heard some wheel spin.... :evild: 

Trust me, these big 4,000lb muscle cars EAT rear tires fast.

When I drove the SS daily, I was putting rear tires on about every 6 months.

Even with Traction Control on, except to clean them off before a run at the drag strip. :yes: 

1 hour ago, Ashley P said:

If you've got any cousins in W KY.....SHOTGUN!

I have a bunch of relatives in the Mammoth Cave area.  I was born in Horse Cave.

JohnC likes this

The 2019 Dodge Challenger production numbers just came out.  They built 81,514 of them this year.  392 T/A's make up roughly 0.8% of the total production.  Of 392 T/As, roughly 9.9 % were painted White Knuckle.  I'm kinda surprised that White Knuckle is the 3rd most popular color.  I thought it would be down around 6th or 7th.  I also didn't expect Pitch Black to be the most popular.

What really surprises me is that they built more 392 (6.4 liter) Hemi T/As than they did 5.7 liter T/As.  Typically, the less expensive options are produced more than the more expensive options.  What's really amazing is this 14 year old platform is selling more now than it did when it first came out and is also rivaling Mustang sales.

2019 Challenger Production Numbers2.jpg

2019 Challenger TA Production Numbers2.jpg

Disney, 66sprint6 and JohnC like this

What's also amazing about the Hemi is the frequency as which the camshaft/lifters give problems.  Is there any "fix" to that problem?  (My brother was fixing a truck last week and is waiting on parts for a car.  The car was only a little over 100k miles.)

Yeah, buy a manual transmission equipped car.  MDS/automatic equipped cars have the issues.  You can disable MDS and use lifters for manual cars.  Of course, this issue isn't nearly as frequent as you hear on the innerweb.

JohnC likes this

17 hours ago, Kevin said:

Yeah, buy a manual transmission equipped car.  MDS/automatic equipped cars have the issues.  You can disable MDS and use lifters for manual cars.  Of course, this issue isn't nearly as frequent as you hear on the innerweb.

If the auto guys do lifters, they might as well do the cam, too. :yes: 

I'm just really shocked how hard it is to find any new Dodge Hemi with a cam in it.

That and LT's with tune would be my first mods on the n/a Hemi cars.

20 hours ago, Kevin said:

Manual cars don't get MDS?   Manual FTW (as usual)!

66sprint6 likes this

182,000 miles on my 5.7 hemi with mds and nothing but spark plugs a thermostat and oil changes.  I bought a superchips basic tuner to turn off mds at 30k miles and did some basic trans stuff.  The trans is still doing great also with a fluid change and partial shift kit at 90k. 

Disney, JohnC and mstrpth like this

My life as a Dodge Challenger owner is now complete.  I don't know why it took so long, but it finally happened yesterday.  A late model 5.0 Mustang revved at me.  I was on Highway 100 east of I-840 heading west.  He was heading east and let me have it as he passed by.

Disney likes this

13 minutes ago, Kevin said:

My life as a Dodge Challenger owner is now complete.  I don't know why it took so long, but it finally happened yesterday.  A late model 5.0 Mustang revved at me.  I was on Highway 100 east of I-840 heading west.  He was heading east and let me have it as he passed by.

Those Mustangs guys are hard to tell from Honda guys.  :shake:

JohnC and Tino like this

18 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

Those Mustangs guys are hard to tell from Honda guys.  :shake:

Easy.

Ones behind you mowing lawns and the others in front of you mowing crowds.

Any time Ive been revved at in the Shelby its been a "whats up" kinda deal so I dont mind it, or they wanna hear your exhaust which I also dont mind.

Matt

Ashley P and JohnC like this

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

I always took it as, "my car is badder than yours.  I want to race."

Yeah, there used to be this POS Tiburon on my way home that would rev at me every time he saw me in the GT.  He caught me one evening after the longtube install and I lit his eardrums (and mine) up.  Never heard a peep out of him after that so maybe he was trying to be tough I dunno.  Often times if I "throw a rev" at someone I wave as well to say hey.  Bout the only thing that messes with me now it seems are V6 EVERYTHINGs, Camaros, Challengers, Chargers, Mustangs etc.  Not sure if they just wanna see the car take off or if they are all stupid or what but they pester me non-stop.  The only car Ive encountered in the Shelby that would pose a threat was a nasty sounding ZL1 that got next to me at a light on the way to pick up Luke from daycare and all he wanted to do was talk bout the cars.  We both rolled out like normal human beings and that was that.  Kinda enjoy driving the wagon cause no-one ever notices it and if they do they give a thumbs up and move on.

If I saw your car out and about Ide pay attention to it, especially once I heard it was a manual car.  Always love seeing newer muscle with a manual these days.  We are few and far between...a dying breed.

Matt

11 hours ago, Kevin said:

When I ever get the car over to M'boro, I'll holler at you so I can check out the GT500.

For sure, would be awesome!  If its any time soon...itll still be in the air in the garage.  Time and motivation...(mostly time) is scarce these days BUT I plan on taking a day off at the end of the month if all goes well to get to work.

Matt

On 1/8/2020 at 11:48 AM, Disney said:

The M/T Challengers always make me turn my head. For one, they sound so so sweet. Then you hear them clutch it and i'm like a dog hearing the box of milk bones open.

Happened to me last night leaving Chop House with Luke.  We heard it (was white too) getting on it leaving the lot and when it shifted I explained to him that thats how you know someone bought the car to enjoy rather than just sit in and let it do all the work.  His said "yeah" followed by "i wanna go fast BROOOM".  :lol:  -Side note, he has yet to see Talladega Nights so it especially makes me laugh when he says that.

Matt

mstrpth likes this