Kevin

Thinking About Getting A New Car

82 posts in this topic

The only thing I would do to the car is the oil/PCV catch can and Eibach 1"/1.25" lowering springs.  I might do any cheaper mods for a little more power.  Depending on how loud the factory exhaust is, I might delete the resonators.  I think with exhaust, air intake, and tune can get you close to 500 horses at the flywheel.

66sprint6 likes this

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

The only thing I would do to the car is the oil/PCV catch can and Eibach 1"/1.25" lowering springs.  I might do any cheaper mods for a little more power.  Depending on how loud the factory exhaust is, I might delete the resonators.  I think with exhaust, air intake, and tune can get you close to 500 horses at the flywheel.

CAI, LT's, full 3in exhaust, cam, E85 and tune or your weak. :evild: 

Tino and Disney like this

The exhaust is a 2.75" pipe.  They say that it is really good and hardly anybody swaps out the exhaust.  It is as good as most aftermarket kits according to what I'm reading.

Some do a cat back.  Some delete the resonators.  Some delete the mufflers.  Some delete both.  I am probably going to see how loud it is and then look into deleting the resonators.  That seems to make the best tone from what I hear.

Disney likes this

On 9/21/2019 at 7:08 PM, Kevin said:
The exhaust is a 2.75" pipe.  They say that it is really good and hardly anybody swaps out the exhaust.  It is as good as most aftermarket kits according to what I'm reading.

Some do a cat back.  Some delete the resonators.  Some delete the mufflers.  Some delete both.  I am probably going to see how loud it is and then look into deleting the resonators.  That seems to make the best tone from what I hear.

I don’t like the sound of muffler deletes. :no:

The right muffler will make it sound NICE!

Delete the resonator and it will drone you to death.

My car drones and vibrates so much my sunroof won’t stay locked down now. Luckily the seal is good enough that it doesn’t leak.

Power is in LT’s and if you want to swap pipes once a year, cat deletes. That’ll also get you the best sound.

I’ve heard a lot of cars with just LT’s and cat deletes on stock resonated catbacks that sound sick. The camm’d ones are best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/21/2019 at 7:08 PM, Kevin said:

I'm amazed by the factory exhaust on those cars. It's almost like it was designed by somebody that likes cars. I'm shocked that the stock exhaust is as loud as it is. If it were me, i'd be hard pressed to change it, just because it's already pretty loud.

JohnC and 66sprint6 like this

On 9/22/2019 at 4:43 PM, JohnC said:

I don’t like the sound of muffler deletes. :no:

The right muffler will make it sound NICE!

Delete the resonator and it will drone you to death.

My car drones and vibrates so much my sunroof won’t stay locked down now. Luckily the seal is good enough that it doesn’t leak.

Power is in LT’s and if you want to swap pipes once a year, car deletes. That’ll also get you the best sound.

I’ve heard a lot of cars with just LT’s and cat deletes on stock resonated catbacks that sound sick. The camm’d ones are best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ain't doing anything to the drivetrain until the warranty expires.  Headers, cam, and head work would be nice.  I'd like to have a solid mid 11 second car eventually.

9 hours ago, Disney said:

I'm amazed by the factory exhaust on those cars. It's almost like it was designed by somebody that likes cars. I'm shocked that the stock exhaust is as loud as it is. If it were me, i'd be hard pressed to change it, just because it's already pretty loud.

I am amazed they didn't get slapped down by uncle Sam.  I would have never thought they could produce a factory car that is as loud as the 6.2 and 6.4 Hemi cars.  I never understood how Harley-Davidsons can BLAT-BLAT all over town.

1 hour ago, KNIGHT347 said:

B7 Blue 392 Shaker 6spd is going to be my next one after the youngsters are grown.

I told Leah that I was going to get a Viper when the house was paid for.  Well, I changed my mind.  I think I am going to order a 392 6 speed Shaker car with the Dynamics package.  I want B5 blue, but they are dropping it for 2020.  If I like the Frostbite (blue), that will be it.  If not, I like white.

Tino and Disney like this

I test drove this 2018 Scat Pack R/T today.  It's a 392 Hemi 6 speed with around 15,500 miles.  The color is Maximum Steel.  It is a metallic charcoal color with a tiny touch of blue.  The wheels look like the Factory Reproductions Hellcat wheels.  It has 245s in the front and 315s in the rear.  I'm not crazy about the bronze colored wheels with this color.  It has the Nappa/Alcanterra leather seats.  The salesman knows the previous owner and said he thinks the exhaust is aftermarket.  It looked factory to me.  It had an oil catch can under the hood.  Other than that and the wheels, it looked stock.  I suspect it has a skip shift eliminator.  It let me go from 1st to 2nd no problem.  I loved the color, but I am tired of black and other dark colors.  I think it is priced about $3000-$4000 too high

https://www.stevejonesauto.com/used-Dickson-2018-Dodge-Challenger-RT-2C3CDZFJ0JH231858

I enjoyed driving the car immensely.  It didn't take long to get used to the clutch and shifter.  I wound it out to 5500 rpms a couple times.  The 315s seemed fairly sticky and didn't blow off like a stock set of 245s would.  You could hear them scratching a little in 1st and 2nd, but there wasn't any white smoke or fishtailing.  The kids loved it and had plenty of legroom.  I think I scared the salesman a couple times, but he said he was glad I knew how to drive it after the last guy who test drove it.  It seemed to handle pretty good in the curves.  I don't think these cars deserve the watercraft reputation.

The interior is nice.  I love the seats and the feel of everything.  Everything is easy to reach.  It feels luxurious to me, but I'm also used to state vehicles, a 2016 Gran Caravan, and a 21 year old pickup.  If they would let me have it for $32,000, I might would take it home.

IMG_2847.JPG

IMG_2848.JPG

IMG_2849.JPG

IMG_2850.JPG

IMG_2851.JPG

Edited by Kevin

35 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I test drove this 2018 Scat Pack R/T today.  It's a 392 Hemi 6 speed with around 15,500 miles.  The color is Maximum Steel.  It is a metallic charcoal color with a tiny touch of blue.  The wheels look like the Factory Reproductions Hellcat wheels.  It has 245s in the front and 315s in the rear.  I'm not crazy about the bronze colored wheels with this color.  It has the Nappa/Alcanterra leather seats.  The salesman knows the previous owner and said he thinks the exhaust is aftermarket.  It looked factory to me.  It had an oil catch can under the hood.  Other than that and the wheels, it looked stock.  I suspect it has a skip shift eliminator.  It let me go from 1st to 2nd no problem.  I loved the color, but I am tired of black and other dark colors.  I think it is priced about $3000-$4000 too high

https://www.stevejonesauto.com/used-Dickson-2018-Dodge-Challenger-RT-2C3CDZFJ0JH231858

I enjoyed driving the car immensely.  It didn't take long to get used to the clutch and shifter.  I wound it out to 5500 rpms a couple times.  The 315s seemed fairly sticky and didn't blow off like a stock set of 245s would.  You could hear them scratching a little in 1st and 2nd, but there wasn't any white smoke or fishtailing.  The kids loved it and had plenty of legroom.  I think I scared the salesman a couple times, but he said he was glad I knew how to drive it after the last guy who test drove it.  It seemed to handle pretty good in the curves.  I don't think these cars deserve the watercraft reputation.

The interior is nice.  I love the seats and the feel of everything.  Everything is easy to reach.  It feels luxurious to me, but I'm also used to state vehicles, a 2016 Gran Caravan, and a 21 year old pickup.  If they would let me have it for $32,000, I might would take it home.

The car is nice, but the color and wheels don't go well together.

You could have them re-done in black....

Did you offer them $32k?

How much are they asking? 

66sprint6 likes this

They are asking $36,992.  I think $34,000 is about right judging by my daily search for a car.  You can get new ones for that money.  Also, when I stand there and look at this car, it isn't screaming "buy me".  I just noticed that it has rear defrost.  Ugh.  I hate those lines.

I like the wheel/tire combo.  The wheels are just the wrong color for the car.  I didn't see any evidence of quarter panel to tire contact like the Challenger I saw at the Mexican restuarant last night.  That car looked like someone put the wheel/tire on a lathe and laid a cutter on the edge of the tire.

IMG_2845.JPG

IMG_2846.JPG

JohnC likes this

I guess I accidentally reserved it messing around on the website.  That is why it was listed as sold.  It is free to purchase now.  Cargurus lists it $1733 below market.  With taxes and delivery, it comes out to $40432.  it stickered  $49,175 brand new.  I don't really want a sunroof/moonroof, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

If I were to buy it today, I would have to finance about $15,000.  That would make me a liar because I said I was going to wait until I could write a check early next year.  I guess I could finance it for 4 to 6 months and have something Disney would get naked with a little sooner.

Edited by Kevin
Tino, Disney and 66sprint6 like this

22 hours ago, Kevin said:

I guess I accidentally reserved it messing around on the website.  That is why it was listed as sold.  It is free to purchase now.  Cargurus lists it $1733 below market.  With taxes and delivery, it comes out to $40432.  it stickered  $49,175 brand new.  I don't really want a sunroof/moonroof, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

If I were to buy it today, I would have to finance about $15,000.  That would make me a liar because I said I was going to wait until I could write a check early next year.  I guess I could finance it for 4 to 6 months and have something Disney would get naked with a little sooner.

If it's that easy, just finance the $15k.  Get the car you want now. and start enjoying it. :yes: 

Nothing wrong with waiting for something perfect and doing it the way you want to do it.  There is also nothing wrong with jumping on something that gives your the fizz and making a couple payments along the way.  Either way just make sure its the right car and have fun!  Congrats either way you go about doin it, will be a fun hotrod with modern comfort/safety and classic styling and sound!

Matt

My wife has no big issue about me getting it now.  I feel like she'd rather me wait until I can do it our way.  She'd never say that, but I know she would rather pay cash for it.  I think she is kinda excited about getting one.  We have both sacrificed to make our lives better.  I want to save up and invest so I can retire in my 50s and not have to work until I'm 65 or 70.  She told me not to feel guilty about buying a car.  She said there is nothing wrong about rewarding yourself once in a while.

Ashley P, mstrpth, JohnC and 1 other like this

The "pay cash" deal is a reward.  I've heard of folks rewarding themselves with more debt.  I've never figured that one out. 

Tino likes this

8 hours ago, Ashley P said:

The "pay cash" deal is a reward.  I've heard of folks rewarding themselves with more debt.  I've never figured that one out. 

He said he'd pay it off in like 4 to 6 months..... He'd not be carrying debt long. :no: 

If I was in that good of shape that I could pay the remainder that quick, I'd buy it now if it was the right car. :yes: