Kevin

Thinking About Getting A New Car

93 posts in this topic

I haven't been on here in a while.  I have been thinking about getting a new toy and thought about the forum.

I made a mistake and drove my brother's 2015 Challenger R/T Plus 6 speed last Saturday.  Now, I really want a Challenger.  I've wanted one ever since rumors of them started flying around 2006.  I have my heart set on a 392 Hemi 6 speed car.  I have been pricing new ones online and started looking at used ones a couple days ago.  I checked one out at a dealership down the road from the office yesterday.  The owner took me for a spin in it and now I want one even more.  That 392 pulls like crazy and sounds unbelievable.  I'm leaning toward the T/A 392 package, but I don't have to have it.

I have been out of cars for the last 11 years.  Kids will do that.  We have sacrificed the wife's income to raise them.  We have also lived a meager lifestyle so that we could pay off the house.  We paid it off April 1st and Leah is teaching again.  Being completely debt free is wonderful.  I haven't bought a new vehicle for myself since 1998 and Leah has given me the green light.  In 6 or 7 months, I'm going to buy a Challenger.  I don't want a car payment.

I know people might try to steer me into a 5.0 Mustang or even a Camaro.  Both of those cars have kinda moved away from the muscle car genre.  It seems to me like they are trying to be more European.  I liked the Mustang until the latest reskin and GM had to reassign the Pontiac Aztek designers to the Camaro team.  I also know the Challenger is heavy.  I don't care.  The 392 will hold its own and the Challenger has more room and is more of a true muscle car in my opinion.  It has the other two beat in looks by a long shot.  Besides, I'm not into drag racing anymore and don't care to street race.  Hellcats are nice, but I don't need one or the extra cost.  Don't even mention automatic.  I'm not interested.  I just want a fun stick shift car with some good punch.

Watch this video and listen to that 392.

Disney, mstrpth, Ashley P and 2 others like this

Welcome back.

CONGRATS on the house payoff!  Lord willin', we're there in March.

What I pulled from your post were the words Pontiac T/A w/manual 6 speed.  And I have to like that. ;) 

1 hour ago, Ashley P said:

Welcome back.

CONGRATS on the house payoff!  Lord willin', we're there in March.

What I pulled from your post were the words Pontiac T/A w/manual 6 speed.  And I have to like that. ;) 

You mean Camaro with alternate sheet metal?  Pontiacs don't have Chevy motors.  ;)

Ashley P likes this

No one will try to sway you away from what you want.  Well, at least I won't!  They are awesome cars for sure.  Go get it and enjoy!  Can't wait to see what you end up with (color wise) and I hope it's everything you hoped it would be.  Exciting stuff for sure!

Matt

It sounds like you have your mind made up, Challenger 392.

I'd go for the Scat Pack Widebody.

More tire is better grip and it looks sexy. :yes: 

Guy I worked with retired had a red Scat pack.

Car was hottness.

My only gripe was the skinny 245's on 8in rims and it looked like it wouldn't take much more to the inner wheel wells without rubbing.

Hence, why I'd get a widebody. 

Black looks good on these

Can't go wrong with red.

F8 green is interesting to me.

Plum Crazy is my favorite.

Built one for $56k: https://www.dodge.com/bmo.challenger.2019.html#/build/exterior/37076/CUD201903LADX22D/2DN/ESH,DEC,TYN,WSC,EC,UAQ,XSP,AJV,AMA,AAY,ADG,GWA,MXN,XC,PX8,23N,3EJ,APA #mydodge via @

If I buy one brand new, it will be a T/A.  That package brings back thoughts of the original 1970 T/A.  It also has 275s out back.  I'm still undecided on the color.  I like B5 blue, white, and PCP.  However, the black looks the best.  There is something about flat black stripes on a black car, but I'm over black.  My truck has been a pain to keep looking clean for 21+ years.  Triple Nickel and F8 green are cool too.  I don't hate the widebody, but it takes away from the retro lines of the car.  I kinda want the suede/leather seats, but you have to buy two packages of stuff I don't want to get them.  That's $2790 just to get $500 worth of seating.  The shaker hood is cool, but it isn't worth $2500 for something that is basically a hood ornament.  I have thought about getting the base Scat Pack and opting for the Brass Monkey wheels.  Oddly, it won't let you get the shaker hood with the Brass Monkey wheels.  Those wheels come with 275s, but the gold/bronze wheels only look good on a white car to me.  https://www.dodge.com/bmo.challenger.2019.html#/build/exterior/37037/CUD201903LADX22A/2DG/ESH,DEC,TW8,WRR,HD,AXM,UAS,X9,PW7,23G,3EJ,APA

I wish you could delete stuff off for a credit like the old days.  I don't care for the infotainment stuff, heated power seats, or the back up camera.  Heck, I'd delete the console, power windows and locks, and the stereo completely if they'd let me.

I have been looking at used ones online.  I've found a few that I'd like to own that have under 10k miles.  The car I looked at Friday was awesome and priced under book, but it was red with 245s.  Red, orange, and sublime would be deal breakers for me.  An automatic transmission is too.  I'd prefer leather, but the cloth seats look good.  I don't know much about Carvana or Carmax, but they seem to have some decent deals.

The funny thing about all of this is I have made myself nervous anxious, selfish, and guilty.  I felt very nervous and anxious when shopping for and buying my wife's Grand Caravan 3 years ago.  I feel guilty/selfish in a way thinking about spending the money on a car FOR ME that I will drive once a week.  I probably need to quit looking until I am ready to buy one.  :)  

You only live once.

Only God knows how long.

Enjoy life while you still have the mind and body to do so.

My Dad retired while getting dementia and never got to enjoy his hobby.

So...

Get that Challenger T/A you want and drive it now and often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

66sprint6 and mstrpth like this

About living...I am working toward getting the heck out of my job as soon as I can.  I am hoping that I can work another 5-6 years, add on my sick leave balance, and walk out the door with 30 years credit for a full retirement.  I'd like to work for a consultant for 5 years after that and then be able to wake up every morning with no agenda.  I used to like my job, but they have made it where I dread going in every day.   I feel like I work for Gilligan and Skipper.  I sure can't depend on my supervisor and his supervisor for anything.  I do not trust or respect either one of them.  I still can't wrap my mind completely around the ordeal I had to go through back in 2014-2015 with two horrible employees that those two bozos made worse.  I still have bad feelings toward 5 people that I am trying to get out of my mind.  I think if I was gone from there, I would have an easier time letting it go.

mstrpth and JohnC like this

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

I am hoping that I can work another 5-6 years, add on my sick leave balance, and walk out the door with 30 years credit for a full retirement.

I still have another 12 and pretty much have the same feelings, except the consultant part.

On 9/1/2019 at 7:32 AM, JohnC said:

You only live once.

Only God knows how long.

Enjoy life while you still have the mind and body to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lot's of truth in that. 

Are you sure you can't get a dealer to "special order" some options/delete others?   You purchasing "seriousness" is strong leverage for them to make it happen.   Maybe express your seriousness to a salesman, tell him what you want, give him X days to work with corporate to make it happen?

Edited by Ashley P

I don't love that. Knowing you and figuring this is something you will keep forever, I would make sure I got exactly what I wanted the first time. If you want a T/A, get the T/A. Don't "settle" for a lesser car, especially over the money. You amortize the savings over the lifetime you'll keep the car and you're talking pennies. The car I built online was 41,000. I'd pay that over the Carvana one listed above in a heartbeat.

iris?COSY-EU-100-1713uLDEMTV1r9s%25WBXaB

Edited by Disney
JohnC likes this

My heart isn't set on the T/A package.  I don't have to have the leather seats either.  I really like the Brass Monkey wheels with the 275s out back on a white or Triple Nickel car.  I am starting to like the Triple Nickel.

I really don't want to spend too much over $40k.  I could get the T/A with no leather or the Scat Pack with leather and Brass Monkey wheels.  Both would have the 275s out back.

iris.jpg

iris (1).jpg

iris (2).jpg

Edited by Kevin

I'm still looking around.  I'm going to wait until April or May before I get really serious.  I'd have to take out a loan if I buy one now.  I don't know if I will get a low mileage (<10k) used Scat Pack or order a new one.

Canned?

JohnC likes this

10 hours ago, Kevin said:

I'm still looking around.  I'm going to wait until April or May before I get really serious.  I'd have to take out a loan if I buy one now.  I don't know if I will get a low mileage (<10k) used Scat Pack or order a new one.

Canned?

Spell check got me. Cammed....

The 392 isn't as cheap to modify as a GM LS engine.  People do heads, cam, intake, and tunes.  Most people are satisfied to do simple stuff like cold air intakes, exhaust, and a tune.  Personally, I'm not into drag racing like I used to be.  I am 100% sure I won't be street racing.  I would be looking into Hellcats if that were the case.  I imagine I will be satisfied with the stock power level.  I don't plan to do many mods when I get one.  I might do Eibach lowering coils and the typical easy mods.  485-500 horsepower would suit me fine.  They sound awesome from the factory.  I just want a strong car that will be fun to drive and listen to while I'm rowing the 6 speed.  I could possibly change my mind.

I thought about getting a 5.7 R/T, but my brother's car isn't that fast.  It is fun to drive and probably fast enough, but it doesn't kick like I thought it would.  You could probably supercharge a 5.7 and make more power than the 392 for less money, but it would be marginally faster than the 392.

JohnC likes this

I think if I ordered one today, this would be it.  I am really starting to like the Shaker hood over the T/A package.  The Dynamics Package would add the wider wheels and tires in the back and the bigger brakes are always good.

Dynamics Package - $2,200

20-Inch x 9.5-Inch Forged/Painted Aluminum Wheels

275/40ZR20 All-Season Performance Tires

ABS - Brembo 6-Piston Front Brakes

"Shaker" Package - $2,500

"Shaker" Under Hood Decal

"Shaker" Mounted "392 HEMI" Badge

Bee Fender Badge

Dash Plaque

Gloss Black Instrument Cluster Trim Rings

"Shaker" Hood by Mopar®

"Shaker" Intake by Mopar®