mstrpth

2014 explorer ecoboost code P0016

28 posts in this topic

my 70k mile explorer started intermittently throwing a check engine light. Code p0016 - camshaft position sensor A.

There are no noticeable issues other than the light. After reading, it's a known issue on these involving the timing chain.

The car does have a rattle, but I THINK it's always been there as the eco's sound halfway like a tractor anyways.

i'm gonna start with the sensor but my question is:

have any of you dealt with this particular problem with the explorers?  

I've turned away a couple of those type jobs.  I think the sensor A and B are interchangeable.  If so, I'd swap sensors A to B, clear codes, and see if the code comes back to A.  You'd rather the problem follow the sensor to side B and replace that sensor and be fixed.

When does it rattle?

66sprint6 likes this

2 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

I've turned away a couple of those type jobs.  I think the sensor A and B are interchangeable.  If so, I'd swap sensors A to B, clear codes, and see if the code comes back to A.  You'd rather the problem follow the sensor to side B and replace that sensor and be fixed.

When does it rattle?

good idea.

at idle. I read where people will get it for a few sec on cold startup, but mine is constant. it's just louder now. that could be that I've never paid much attention to it until now.

Idle with engine hot/cold?  What brand oil filter, what oil?  (I doubt a car guy on a car forum would commit the sin of a Fram filter and 23k mile oil changes, but... :) )

Tino likes this

hot or cold, doesn't seem to matter. mobil 1 full syn 5-30.

ran it for years in all my cars with no issues.

I've had a couple customers with pickups w/the ecoboost.  One had cam codes, went to the dealer and had all sorts of timing stuff changed.  Chains, tensioners, maybe actuators.

I've been round and round with those cam codes on 5.4 tritons, too.  Lots of variables, could be dealing with only an electrical fault, only mechanical fault, or possibly combined faults.  Rattle would tend to be mechanical fault. 

Im thinking faulty actuators, since they seem to have that variable timing garbage, my wifes vehicle (GM)(Equinox) threw the same code replaced both intake and exhaust side sensors code came back, took to chevy for a TSB for the Actuators and that solved it.

FINALLY got around to messing with this Sat. I swapped sensor A from bank 1 to 2. Cleared the code and went for a drive. After a hard 5 min drive the code came back. It didn't follow the sensor. It's still saying "Crankshaft position- camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor A".

The car drives fine, no miss, smoke, smells, bad fuel mileage(well, this is always bad), etc... It does shoot out some black smoke when you get on it though. This is my wifes car and it's driven very EASY!

Lets assume timing is the issue, with no noticeable anything, would it hurt it to keep driving for a bit? I've got some major house projects coming up and don't know that I can dedicate the time needed for this. It did take me 6 months to swap the sensors in the first place :lol: 

"no noticeable..." but still coding up would tend to mean it's out of parameter but no so much that it runs bad.  I wouldn't hit the interstate for a vacation trip with it...

(And if it takes 6  months for a sensor swap, just forget about "major house projects".  Take my word for it!  lol)

1 hour ago, Ashley P said:

"no noticeable..." but still coding up would tend to mean it's out of parameter but no so much that it runs bad.  I wouldn't hit the interstate for a vacation trip with it...

(And if it takes 6  months for a sensor swap, just forget about "major house projects".  Take my word for it!  lol)

I've put +15k miles on it since the code first appeared. Still no change in anything. In my defense I've been building a house AND i'm dumb enough to have a side business that eats up a lot of time. That's finally slowing down but now i'm about to start installing an inground pool...alone

29 minutes ago, Disney said:

We've seen this before and the culprit ended up being the timing cover gasket. 

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to car stuff and the more I read the less I know...how does the cover gasket have any impact on the actual timing?

3 hours ago, mstrpth said:

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to car stuff and the more I read the less I know...how does the cover gasket have any impact on the actual timing?

camshaft timing is controlled by oil pressure. The pressure is fed to the actuators through the timing cover (in our case). If the gasket springs a small leak, the actuator doesn't have enough pressure to make the changes to the cam timing.

mstrpth likes this

I have not been into the Ecoboost, but the Ford V8s (Triton?) with VVT used oil from the center of the camshaft.  Timing cover would not matter on them.

As bad as I hate to, I may have to source this out as time is tight until summer. If it comes to that, anyone know of a reputable mechanic in Clarksville/Nashville?

I've never paid anyone to work on a car for me so this is a first for me :down:.. if it comes to that anyways. I don't know all the inner workings so I usually just jump in

and see what I find that looks or feels out of place. That usually doubles the time it takes me to do pretty much everything :lol: 

^ What engine?  What symptoms?   (I'd guess cam timing codes and chain rattle.)

And now that you mention it, today  I "fixed" a caddy with a P000D, Bank 2 exhaust cam outta time.  Raised hood, pulled dipstick.  No oil.  Add 2 quarts, clear codes, shipped it.  Only charged for the oil.

Edited by Ashley P

i think i'm going to try to fix it myself in the next couple weeks. I've been trying to find info on it but that's hard to come by for the specific vehicle. Most dealership estimates say the have to pull the engine to make the repair. I'm not sure if that's a necessity though. Also, the water pump is behind the chains so might as well knock that out too...stupid!

This seems to be a fairly common issue. Dealerships tend to blame it on poor maintenance. Not the case for me. I change the oil in it when I change the oil for my DD. So around every 2500 - 3k miles it gets a full syn oil change.

To show my stupidity, is there a way to check the timing without a $3k computer setup? From what I read, I'm fairly sure that's the issue but i'm having no symptoms of it.

"Check the timing"....let's verify you're on the right page.  Your code is p0016, Ford calls that the "Cam position correlation - Bank 1, Sensor A".

This code means the computer thinks the camshaft is not correctly timed to the crankshaft.  With multiple cam sensors compared to a cranks sensor, the computer picks out the one that doesn't fit and you get this code.

You'll want a scanner to show desired vs actual degrees of cam timing.  You've got a pretty complex system of electric over hydraulic controls.  Ford's list of possible cause is very long....beware.