Kpate

Motorcycle peeps: recommend a good beginner bike

12 posts in this topic

Gonna take the MSF rider course starting tomorrow night and will be in the market for a motorcycle now that I have a short, low traffic commute to work. I've been looking at used bikes in the <$2000 range since I know it'll get put on the ground a time or two (hope not, but know it'll happen)? Any model I should steer clear of or dealers I should avoid? I hear you can get parts still for older Honda motorcycles, is this true?

:help::shrug:

I'd look for an old CBR 600 if there are any in that price range.

If you don't mind a bike built like a dirtbike, look in to those older Suzuki Super Moto bikes (drz 450 ?). I think their 450cc like the dirtbikes had. Those are street legal with street bike rims/tires/brakes.

Maybe even one of those big honda dual sport bikes that look like the old 600-650 XR's with street lights. :yes

(sorry, in a hurry so can't post much. Got 2 web programs due by 6pm and a test tonight) :wall:

Thanks for the info John :up: Dee and I went to the course last night and they had a Buell blast (the bikes they use for the course) in the classroom. We took turns sitting on it and it was one of the more comfortable bikes I sat on (the other was a Ninja 250 and a Suzuki Savage S40). Right now I'm setting the budget at $2500 max after talking to the instructor last night, 500cc engine for a standard/ cruiser, 250cc for a sport bike. Ready to start riding and enjoying this @ the old age of 40..... :lol:

So those are the two bikes your set on getting?

If you really want a fun bike, get a dual sport which is a street legal dirtbike like the old XR 650's used to be.

You be able to ride on road and right off on trails! :yes

Took the Rider's course @ Harley of Cool springs this past weekend and passed with flying colors.... :w00t: They used Buell Blasts for their training cycles and I liked them alot :up: Went to Sloan's and attempted to get on a DS bike similar to what you recommeneded (I think it was a Yamaha) and about pulled my nuts out of my ballsack (too high :panic: )!!!!!! Maybe if the suspension was a tad lower I could do eeeetttt :(

Right now I'm searching craigslist and seeing a shitload of early 80s Jap cruisers dirt cheap. Since I need some more practice I might go that route before I get something purdy to commute on..... :):cheers:

i've got my eye on a 08 busa :yum: just trying to justify it :lol:

Do it, man! Those bikes are awesome and they move!

I think the first ones out ran like 9.89's in the 1/4. Now sure what the new ones quarter now. :3gears:

I got my 2009 v star 950 and really like it. Had it almost a year now. I think once it's paid off ill get a road king but we'll see

If I get another road bike, it's going to have to be built. I love the smell of C12, high comp is a must. :yum:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro v2.2

If I get another road bike, it's going to have to be built. I love the smell of C12, high comp is a must. :yum:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro v2.2

:huh:  :huh: Fuel mileage>>>>> damgling rod syndrome. :D