mstrpth

Silent but deadly

13 posts in this topic

Gather round kids, it's story time.

This past summer, I decided to change out my smoke detectors for smoke & carbon monoxide combination detectors. It's a pricey move since mine are hard wired ($65ish each). I had a few old CM detectors laying around that I kept as a just in case.

long story.....still long. I woke up to a beeping noise around 4 Monday morning. I went downstairs and reset the alarm thinking nothing of it. Went back to bed to read what the chirping meant. 3 or so min later, it went off again. it was detecting carbon m. So I loading up the family and dog and put everyone in a car outside.

15min later, the fire department showed up. At that point, the level was so high they had to wear oxygen to sweep the house looking for the source. Turned out to be one of my HVAC units. Early birthday present I guess.

The point of this story is.... Not a single one of my old carbon monoxide detectors went off. They are right at 6 years old. Had I not replaced my smoke alarms, my family would probably be gone. SO, check your alarms and replace if need be. They're expensive and seem like a waste of money, but very necessary.

djoye, JohnC, 66sprint6 and 3 others like this

Wow.  Glad ya'll are OK. 

I'm nearing the point of thinking about wiring detectors.  What brand worked?  Which 6 yo didn't?

mstrpth likes this

Man, solid work saving the family. In a strange coincidence, two weeks ago I filled out some form for my local FD to come out and install new smoke detectors. I am doing a new CO detector at the same time. I also have hard wired detectors now, but they are probably 15 years old.

mstrpth likes this

Make sure you (and others) know how to use the extinguishers.   Even if a chemical knocks the flames (say wood construction) down, the heat is still there and will potentially flame right back up.  Taking away any source of fuel (gas, electricity) might need to happen before the extinguishers are wasted.  Water takes away the heat.

Me and youtube were showing my oldest boys about house fires the other day and explaining that rule one is everybody out.  Rules after that are Daddy determined.

And it's not panic, it's another 48 ounces of prevention.  :up:

66sprint6 and mstrpth like this

Man Ive been wanting to do the same with the new house and start fresh but havnt gotten around to it from being so busy.  I know what Ill be doing tonight!  That ladder is happening as well now that Luke's room is upstairs.

Matt

mstrpth likes this

the ladder stays packed in the box. you can set it up faster than you can open the window. the box is about the size of a large 3 ring binder.

66sprint6 likes this

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 2:30 PM, JohnC said:

So the HVAC unit is natural gas?

yes it is. Replaced it last Saturday.

JohnC likes this

I finally replaced all of my smoke detectors in February because I'd get some false alarms on mine (a couple continued to beep without a battery while disconnected during replacement!), probably originals from 2004 when the house was built. I bought a 6-pack from Lowe's, it wasn't expensive because they're just smoke alarms. It sounds like each of yours also detect CO, which brings the price up significantly. I have gas heat, a ventless gas fireplace, and would like to eventually have a gas stove; I should probably find out if I can replace a couple of the smoke-only detectors with smoke+CO units. I imagine that, since they're wired together, if CO trips one unit, then all units would go off since the wiring is very simple.

Edited by djoye
JohnC and mstrpth like this

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:11 PM, djoye said:

I finally replaced all of my smoke detectors in February because I'd get some false alarms on mine (a couple continued to beep without a battery while disconnected during replacement!), probably originals from 2004 when the house was built. I bought a 6-pack from Lowe's, it wasn't expensive because they're just smoke alarms. It sounds like each of yours also detect CO, which brings the price up significantly. I have gas heat, a ventless gas fireplace, and would like to eventually have a gas stove; I should probably find out if I can replace a couple of the smoke-only detectors with smoke+CO units. I imagine that, since they're wired together, if CO trips one unit, then all units would go off since the wiring is very simple.

yes that's how theyre supposed to work. the wired combo is around $65ish each at lowes. mine were originally just smoke. I changed to the combo without any issues. wires up the same.