Ashley P

25 cents worth of travel...

13 posts in this topic

How far can you travel for one quarter?   It all depends on where you put it...

My son got a trip to the local hospital and an ambulance ride to VCH.  He put it in his esophagus .   Vandy FTW (again). 

Parentingj= :coffee:  to :whoa::panic: faster than a top fuel dragster.

Did you let them keep the quarter as your first payment on the bill? :D

I activated the prayer chain as soon as I heard.  You guys were prayed for all night long.

Thanks for the prayers.

I asked for the color photo from inside the whatever pipe leads into the esophagus (bore scope view).  I told the Dr. we were gonna glue the quarter to it and frame it.

I think the kid next to us had 3 magnets, 1 chain, and 1 screw.  :???:

Have you parents ever considered a tracheostomy?

If an airway is very restricted, do you have a torch set with O2?  It could buy time while waiting for EMS or for travel to hospital.  (We can wait 10+ minutes for an ambulance, or drive 10 minutes and be at the hospital.)

On 1/4/2019 at 1:47 PM, Ashley P said:

Have you parents ever considered a tracheostomy?

If an airway is very restricted, do you have a torch set with O2?  It could buy time while waiting for EMS or for travel to hospital.  (We can wait 10+ minutes for an ambulance, or drive 10 minutes and be at the hospital.)

You mean cutting the throat to the kid can breath? Never thought about it. Not sure I could do it. I do have a large O2 tank though!

Posted (edited)

Yes. 

Not sure I could have either, but if they've passed out and turned blue, there are no other options.  Years ago I worked with a paramedic or EMT and we heard a news report of a child choking to death at the movies.  He was sad/disgusted, and described how "easy" it would be to provide an emergency airway.  That stuck in my mind.  Cut a small hole (X shaped) and poke a tube into the windpipe.  I hollowed an ink pen before leaving for the hospital just in case that coin turned.

Just some things to consider.

Edited by Ashley P
Disney likes this

48 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

Cut a small hole (X shaped) and poke a tube into the windpipe.  I hollowed an ink pen before leaving for the hospital just in case that coin turned.

Just some things to consider.

Sure sounds easy to say. I think if my mind was clear enough to realize what was happening I could do it. Now I need to go through my knives and make sure they are all sharp enough. I know my daily carry knife wouldn't do it.

I agree, easier said....I had a phone conversation with my wife and choking child.  He could cry loudly, so I knew the airway was good enough.  I talked to him to tell him to calm down and I'd be home soon to help.  During the 5-10 minute drive home I prepped myself for the what if...it had turned and he was blue when I got there.  My carry knife is not up to snuff, but I got a little knife from Jasper engines that is unused and SHARP.  Perfect mate to the ink pen...

Having a clear mind is why I mentioned it.  If we mentally rehearse we're much better off.

i think you would be walking a fine line there.

can you attempt cpr on a victim if you're not trained? yes, without fear of being sued.

can you perform "surgery" without a medical license? I'm going with no. if it saves a life, great. but if it doesn't.........

Sir, I agree it's a "fine line", one I hope nobody here walks.  The conversation I had over 10 years ago mentally prepared me for the option the other day.  I only mentioned it here so ya'll can think about it too.