Tino

2004 rcsb lq9 build

Rate this topic:

26 posts in this topic

My buddy has a 2004 regular cab short bed Silverado that he wants to make a little bit faster, He just wants to beat a couple of mustangs. 

So far we did cold air intake and long tube headers on his truck and it made a nice difference. 

He planned on putting a cam in his 5.3 but he came across this lq9 and picked it up. We went all the way to Knoxville to go get it.

20181222_023828.jpg

20181222_023815.jpg

Right now we are just going to drop it in and leave it stock for a few months till he saves up some money for a nice cam.

I have a question. The engine came with a computer and all the wiring harness. Will that computer work with his truck to run the engine or does it need to be unlocked so it can work with his truck? 

And we're coming for @gammey4 :evild:

Also how much for a tune :D.

JohnC and Disney like this

@gammey4 has a turby.

Good Luck! :lol::3gears:

I know nothing about the lq9, but if it has DoD/AFM, delete it asap and do a good cam with supporting mods. :yes:

LSx are much more fun to work on the modular aka coyote Fords, so enjoy the build! :up:

Tino likes this

@tino he doesn’t need to change the computer he has now. It can be flashed to run the lq9 pretty easy if he has a v6 or if it’s a v8 truck it’s stupid simple to make it work. A cam and stall will be the biggest bang for the buck on it. I did one of the JEGS house brand cams in my black truck, circle d 3200 stall, long tubes, and made a true dual 3” exhaust and it was a huge improvement.

And you don’t want none of my white truck. When I raced your buddy I was only on 6psi, I’ve turned it up to 18 since then.

JohnC and Tino like this

43 minutes ago, gammey4 said:

@tino he doesn’t need to change the computer he has now. It can be flashed to run the lq9 pretty easy if he has a v6 or if it’s a v8 truck it’s stupid simple to make it work. A cam and stall will be the biggest bang for the buck on it. I did one of the JEGS house brand cams in my black truck, circle d 3200 stall, long tubes, and made a true dual 3” exhaust and it was a huge improvement.

And you don’t want none of my white truck. When I raced your buddy I was only on 6psi, I’ve turned it up to 18 since then.

Is the LQ9 a VVT engine?

I've been doing some reading and the swap should be very easy. He is going from a 5.3 to a 6.0. The internet says it should be a drop in swap.

Should he look for some 243 heads or just keep the stock 317s?

2 minutes ago, Tino said:

I've been doing some reading and the swap should be very easy. He is going from a 5.3 to a 6.0. The internet says it should be a drop in swap.

Go big!!! :yes:

YOLO!!! :hyper:

Tino likes this

If it’s going to be a n/a build then some 243/799’s are a good upgrade for a compression bump, They don’t really flow any better. I have two sets of 799’s if he decides he wants a set.

JohnC and Tino like this

Ya got the flexplate turned so that the small torque converter bolt hole is at the starter location?

(Also cam and head swaps are easier on the stand, but ya'll like the hard way, right? :) )

gammey4 and Tino like this

It's getting there. Just need to hook up the headers to rest or the exhaust system and put the plastics over the radiator. 

@gammey4 what would you do for a fuel pump upgrade? He is going to go na route with some nitrous. 

He is thinking of doing the 243 heads, cam, and a 100 shot of nitrous. 

It's getting there. Just need to hook up the headers to rest or the exhaust system and put the plastics over the radiator. 

@gammey4 what would you do for a fuel pump upgrade? He is going to go na route with some nitrous. 

He is thinking of doing the 243 heads, cam, and a 100 shot of nitrous. 

I run a Walbro 450 in my truck

Tino likes this

Hey @gammey4 would bad spark plugs cause his lean problem? 

He is going to bring it by the shop tonight and I'm going to check it over very good. I'm thinking the intake manifold gasket might be the problem. 

Hey @gammey4 would bad spark plugs cause his lean problem? 

He is going to bring it by the shop tonight and I'm going to check it over very good. I'm thinking the intake manifold gasket might be the problem. 

They are new aren’t they? His bank 2 stft were +52%, bank 1 was -3%

Does it sound like it's misfiring?

If so, check all the ignition related wring.

Swap in a known good set of plugs.

Bank 2 is the only issue, so I' look at the plugs, plug wires, coils, coil wire harness and even the O2 sensor on that bank.