Ashley P

When does property become "home"?

9 posts in this topic

A couple of years ago I realized I think of my place as "home".  That was after about 13 years of living here. I suppose I took a while to "settle in"!  lol

Recently I took care of my mother's horses for a few days, and walked the pasture once to check the fence.  I told my boys that was the first time I'd set foot on that ground in probably 15 years (the pasture I roamed/rode from birth 'till marriage/moving out).   It was kinda weird.  And with mom's "stage 4" diagnosis, and me being in line to inherit that ground, things were all the more....something.  Nostalgic* w/touch of sadness? 

So, when/what makes a place home to you guys?  

* :"Nostalgic isn't in the Merriam-Webster online thesaurus???  Yet "sentimental" has these words listed:  chocolate-box, cloying, corny, drippy, fruity, gooey, lovey-dovey, maudlin, mawkish, mushy,novelettish, saccharine, sappy, schmaltzy, sloppy, slushy, soppy, soupy, spoony (or spooney),sticky, sugarcoated, sugary, wet  What the CRAP has happened to the English language???? :stare:

I still call the house I grew up in (parents still live there) "home" when I tell someone where in headed or to meet me there.  I say "my house" or "the house" for the house ive been in 8+ years, started a family in etc and the new place is called...the new house or the new place.  I'm learning to call home home and my parents house my parents house but it's taking a while to stick.  My house is my home and im actually gonna miss it quite a bit when we move but I dunno...it's strange and I never really thought about it.

Matt

Ashley P likes this

I'm not the sentimental type and would sell 99% of anything I own for the right price. it's just stuff to me. I call my place home, but I also call the hotel on vacation home while we're there.

Tino and Ashley P like this

31 minutes ago, mstrpth said:

I'm not the sentimental type and would sell 99% of anything I own for the right price. it's just stuff to me. I call my place home, but I also call the hotel on vacation home while we're there.

I am near the opposite. I seem to always attach sentiment to things like cars and houses. Probably to a fault. I don't understand people that can buy a car, be 110% in love with it, then just sell it on the next day. One of my BFF does that and it drives me insane.

Ashley P, 66sprint6 and JohnC like this

2 hours ago, Mike said:

I'm very attached to cars.  /sarcasm

No idea when a house becomes a home for me.  I've been in mine for 10 years, so I guess at some point in there it has become home.  

Image result for home is where

lol  I was telling someone the other day that the biggest accomplishment during my "remodel" was getting the wax ring and toilet installed after about 3 months with no "facilities" on site.