Ashley P

tractor hub quandary

8 posts in this topic

My old tractor has problem, the axle turns inside the wheel hub.  The hub is made similarly to this one. 1000E 10-bolt Hub

Since the "tang" is worn off, I'm thinking a possible repair is to cut a keyway into the hub to match the axle keyway.  I'd preferably like to leave the wheel loosely mounted on the axle due to safety and wimpy-ness.   Sooooo.....anybody (Mike?) know of a magic wand/technique to accomplish that?    Should I line up the axle keyway with the hub where I need the keyway and use the axle keyway as a guide for some sorta cutter?  Can a broach be used like that?

Specs:  Cast iron hub.  About a 9/16" keyway in the axle.   Hub length is about 8".

It can be be broached.  But you’d need a bushing (picture below) for the hub to guide the broach.  A good machine shop may already have the broach and bushing if the hole is a standard size.

The slot in the bushing is deeper than what’s in your axle because the broach is much deeper than the key would be.

A55B5DCE-69D2-4F7B-998C-5CA7AFE3C1C1.jpeg

You can always cut one the amish way. 

4E97CB14-CC7A-48C7-B8FC-0C98736E6D71.jpeg

Ashley P and mstrpth like this

Thanks Mike, you explained the bushing and broach vs keyway depth issue.  Do smaller width broaches require shallower guide slots?  If so, how could I find out the depth of the guide vs the width of cut?  Maybe I could put three 3/16" broaches together in my axle keyway... 

Axle diameter is about 3 and 7/8".  I don't know depth of keyway, it's less than the width of close to 9/16". 

Or, how do I hook that file to my Sawzall?  I'm not keen on taking off a close to 600 lb wheel/tire/hub.   Where there's a wheel there's a way... ;)

Here's an add for hubs with one more U bolt than mine. https://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-9-BOLT-REAR-AXLE-TRACTOR-DUAL-HUBS-WITH-NEW-U-BOLTS-/263414346071

Edited by Ashley P

Just start looking at broaches, but if you aren’t willing to pull the hub, it’s unlikely to be fixable with a broach.

You could drill the seam between the axle and hub and put a dowel pin in.  Do multiple 1/2” pins.  You would need to make a jig to hold the drill steady on the seam.  This is common on LS engines whem blowers are added.

E5DE90A9-7085-492B-8FDE-E3678B1E8D61.jpeg

Ashley P likes this

Drilling would work in a pinch, but would limit the width adjustment of the wheel.

I'll ponder for a few more weeks.... lol

Is this hub not available to buy? Is it cost prohibitive? 

I'd say unless you're going to pull the 600lb wheels/hub/water balloon, then drilling is your best repair. You may lose width adjustability, but look on the bright side, all your corn rows will be the same width and you'll never have to move the hub again.

mstrpth likes this

Buying is cost prohibitive.  It's a beater tractor with limited use.  I don't even bother putting a functioning alternator on it.

I really can't drill it.  The hub is made with a hug opening on the side opposite the "key". 

Yesterday my son invited a boy to go fishing at our pond.  I decided that I could tighten the hub and make it pull the mower around the pond.  So, with the hub very loose (it clamps with 2 huge U bolts) I put a piece of rebar in the keyway and tightened it down as tight as I could.  I worked well.  It held well enough to spin the tire in mud...as I stuck the tractor in a wet spot near the pond.  :down:

Wanna pic?  lol