Disney

Q50 HSA

30 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Displacement: 183 cu in, 2997 cc
Power: 400 hp @ 6400 rpm
Torque: 350 lb-ft @ 1600 rpm

Hmmmm....1600.   Doesn't seem to fit....

I'm not sure, but it might be a variable geometry turbo.  These new infinity direct injection engines are from Mercedes and have quite a bit of R&D and money behind them.  I heard some info on them when I worked at Nissan and they were apparently some very robust engines.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/infiniti-debuts-three-all-new-engines-for-q50-we-snag-details

Ashley P and JohnC like this

Ahhhh...I suppose direct injection allows for massive boost at low RPM without detonation.   It's basically a diesel that burns gas....I like it.  :)

(I've yet to get my head wrapped around gasoline direct injection.  Too many carbs in my past.)

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

So how would it fair against my SS from a dig and roll?

Biggest issue with mine is traction. Running all season tire with traction control really kills it from a dig.

But to use sticky tires, I'd want an iron ZL1 or 1LE diff and better axles.

It would be a race from a roll.

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Is it a sport, 3.0 turbo?

It's a Q50 Sport. Called a Silver Sport by some. 300hp version

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Specs i found....

How much boost you add?

Those speccs are for the Red Sport 400hp version. I have the 300hp version. 

JohnC likes this

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I'm not sure, but it might be a variable geometry turbo.  These new infinity direct injection engines are from Mercedes and have quite a bit of R&D and money behind them.  I heard some info on them when I worked at Nissan and they were apparently some very robust engines.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/infiniti-debuts-three-all-new-engines-for-q50-we-snag-details

only the 4cyl is Daimler. The v6 are Nissan. They are VR30's which is a derivative of the VR38 in the GT-R. They are different of course. Main thing being the DI. They also have the turbo foot cast into the head so there is no manifold, turbo bolts straight to head. Turbos are not variable. They are tiny. 

JohnC likes this