Mike

69 Camaro 6.0 4L80E Twin Turbo

Rate this topic:

7 posts in this topic

Here is the next shop project for me.  It belongs to a friend from high school.  He bought the car 3 or 4 years ago as a plain jane green 69.  It spent a few years in paint jail getting a new coat of black.  Then it went to a small shop in KY where minitubs, Ridetech front and rear suspension, Moser fabricated 9" rear and Wilwood brakes were installed.   

He has also had a 6.0 built by Larry Sexton.  It's an iron block, stock crank, wiseco piston, forged rod, un-ported rectangle port heads, LJMS turbo cam etc.  The trans is a 4L80e built by Cameron Powers (crown vic).  It's got everything necessary for 1000hp.  He has a set of Comp 61mm? billet wheel turbos going on.

My job is to fab the turbo kit and exhaust.  Wire the Holley and the rest of the car.  Install vintage air.  Plumb brake lines and fuel lines.  Generally finish up the car.  He'll only need to have the interior installed when I'm done, but we may do that at my house too.

IMG_1985.JPG

I completely covered the car in "crash wrap".  I'm a bit uncomfortable working on a car with such fresh and nice black paint so I'm doing what I can to protect it.

IMG_2015.JPG

We are going to use manifolds instead of headers.  @JohnC do those manifolds look familiar?  We had three sets to try and John's 5th gen camaro manifolds came the closest to fitting.  I still have to notch them by the steering box and completely rework the "collector" end, but I think they will be nice after I smooth all the junk off them.

IMG_2019.JPG

IMG_2018.JPG

Disney, Tino, 66sprint6 and 3 others like this

NICE!  Super cool project and I agree with you on the paint deal, YIKES!  Looks like your covering all your bases by covering it like that!

Matt

Niiiice car.   I use that wrap also. Word to the wise, pull it off every few months and re-apply. I left it on too long in a few places on the green coupe and it was hell getting it off. Never saw sunlight either, just became one with the paint. I think the spec is 90 days before needs to be removed, at least for the junk I used.

Mike likes this

Thanks, I was curious about what might happen with time.  This paint is only a year old, so I'm concerned it is still curing and I thought I better keep an eye on it.

Ashley P likes this

Not much has happened.  He's still ordering lots of parts so I can load up the engine compartment and build the turbo kit around it.

He bought the Holley accessory kit and that's on.  Waiting for the radiator,, fan, intercooler cores, brake booster brackets for a smaller booster, steering shaft flex joint and a few more small parts.

IMG_2262[1].JPG

Tino, 66sprint6, JohnC and 1 other like this