Ashley P

2012 Ford 6.7 diesel....junkI

29 posts in this topic

I've generally declined to work on the overcomplicated 6.4 and 6.7 diesels, but this week there was a 6.7 pulled in and I had a couple no-shows....thought I'd figure out why it died and would not start.   A dozen codes, from no fuel pressure to EGT.   Changed filters, replaced the rear EGT (can cause power down when showing 2000*F instead of ambient), but still had < 1500 psi when over 5000 was desired.  Pulled my first intake and volume control solenoid and found lots of metal....Ford recommends replacement of the HPFP, injectors, and all lines/hoses.  The kit retails for about $4300!  

New diesel are...wow.  So...pathetic.

And it's made in Mexico.  Tino, you want this one?  :D

Tino likes this

38 minutes ago, Ashley P said:

I've generally declined to work on the overcomplicated 6.4 and 6.7 diesels, but this week there was a 6.7 pulled in and I had a couple no-shows....thought I'd figure out why it died and would not start.   A dozen codes, from no fuel pressure to EGT.   Changed filters, replaced the rear EGT (can cause power down when showing 2000*F instead of ambient), but still had < 1500 psi when over 5000 was desired.  Pulled my first intake and volume control solenoid and found lots of metal....Ford recommends replacement of the HPFP, injectors, and all lines/hoses.  The kit retails for about $4300!  

I hope that was under warranty.... Fixed now?

22 minutes ago, KNIGHT347 said:

pretty much any ford diesel thats not the 7.3 sucks ass, coworker has 6.0 thats been an ICR,IPR nightmare

Agree.  What was the nightmare?

JohnC, that's "OLD Cummins > et al"

2 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Hell naw, It's all yours :up:

2 hours ago, Cannon Fodder said:

Water in fuel light on?

The dealer price is $12K-14K I think for this.

Customer pulled it in and I had to pull, drag info out of him.  I had to interrogate him to get him to tell me he'd been ignoring the emissions warnings he was getting.  I didn't notice any WIF stuff.  Filter was not water contaminated, although moisture on the drain cock made me wonder if he'd drained it before he pulled it in.

Where'd you get your 12-14 estimate?

1 hour ago, Tino said:

Hell naw, It's all yours :up:

Sure?  

Tino likes this

22 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Customer pulled it in and I had to pull, drag info out of him.  I had to interrogate him to get him to tell me he'd been ignoring the emissions warnings he was getting.  I didn't notice any WIF stuff.  Filter was not water contaminated, although moisture on the drain cock made me wonder if he'd drained it before he pulled it in.

Where'd you get your 12-14 estimate?

Sure?  

The 12k-14k came from different diesel forms with warranty not covering the repair bill from water contaminated fuel.

On 8/17/2018 at 4:57 PM, Ashley P said:

Agree.  What was the nightmare?

JohnC, that's "OLD Cummins > et al"

It would start, idle a no more than 30 seconds and die, crank crank crank and crank and itd finally start and run right

I don't work on the Fords often enough to keep 'em straight in my head, but I was into the HPOP on one not long ago, it had a failed o-ring causing....something...L O N G crank times maybe.

I've found a plug backed out of the 7.3 "oil manifold"? causing same issue.

My estimate is $400 for diagnosis (including new fuel filters and 1 EGT sensor), $7500 for:  tank cleaning, low pressure pump, and all the Ford "contamination kit" parts, and the turbo oil lines (problematic on 6.7, do 'em while I'm there).

Customer has come up with the money and it's on my schedule.

And when it rains it pours:  A Duramax for injectors and a 1994 Chevy 6.5 for an injector pump have got me behind.

Dorman makes a FICM board that has worked in the handful of times I've installed them.  Pretty simple to pull "degas" bottle, FICM, and swap boards.   Dorman 904-229 I think

The 6.7L customer ponied up some $7k and I started yesterday flushing the system, cleaning fuel tank, replacing lift pump (DFCM), flushing more, digging for injectors...

Opened the Ford "contamination kit"...it's missing a fuel rail!   Have to get another kit to get the rail..."several days" says Ford parts.  URGH!

Maybe I'm a fearless idiot for attempting this project.  If so, he's a little ditty about it...

Edited by Ashley P
66sprint6 likes this

After waiting a few days on the missing fuel rail, the engine fired yesterday.  One valuable lesson:  the washer that seals the injector can come off the tip as the injector is removed through the valve cover.  The washer is able to fall into the valvetrain requiring valve cover removal.  (The valve cover does not seal against the injector cup.)

FWIW, the 6.4 Powerstroke is possibly a bigger turd than the 6.7.  Looking at one with low fuel rail pressure. Ford diagnostics are lousy.   How'd you like to spend about $8-10k when a fuel pump breaks?

Bump for a 6.4 diesel that got the same high pressure pump failure/metal contamination of everything.

The neat thing about the 6.4 is the cab really needs to come off to get the pipes/turbo/high pressure pump out.  It's MUCH more of a headache than the 6.7.

If you're thinking about buying a 6.4 or 6.7 Ford...you're actually not.  (Thinking, that is.)

Tino likes this

3 hours ago, Ashley P said:

Bump for a 6.4 diesel that got the same high pressure pump failure/metal contamination of everything.

The neat thing about the 6.4 is the cab really needs to come off to get the pipes/turbo/high pressure pump out.  It's MUCH more of a headache than the 6.7.

If you're thinking about buying a 6.4 or 6.7 Ford...you're actually not.  (Thinking, that is.)

Is it really a problem with the vehicle, or could owner maintenance played a factor in the issues?

Oh, I can't say the owners haven't contributed.  HOWEVER, back when diesels pumped high sulfur fuel at <3,500 psi they lasted and lasted and lasted.  Now they pump NON (ultra low) sulfur fuel at > 26,000.     Less lubricity and 8 times the fuel pressure.  Ford blames it on "fuel contamination".  Go figure.

Seeing what i've seen around here, keeping filters changed at the correct intervals seems the be the #1 contributor to diesels crapping out or not.

Well, it would be neat to actually have info about service, but many of the Chevy 6.5 turds, Duramaxes, Cummins Ford 7.3, 6.0 trucks have abusive drivers and the filters just choke down the truck and after a filter change the truck is ready for more.  Is the new filter system inadequate?

Ford blames these failures on water contamination.  Ford puts the WIF sensor at the first filter, but many internetters say the WIF light didn't come on before destruction.

I mean, Ford has put out hundreds of thousands of these, if not millions? So if they say that this type of failure is due to water intrusion, I'd be inclined to agree with them over the guy that's seen two of them. 

I don't know if the WIF sensor is supposed to shut the engine off or not. I'd say not likely. Which means it's up to the driver to see that WIF light come on and stop the truck. Do you think that happens a lot? Or, do you think they see that light and keep driving until doing something about it is more convenient?

Great point on the last question.  The correct answer is:  customer might not even see an important engine light, but if they do, they're sure to put it off till next month...:rolleyes:

I have only seen two failures of Ford high pressure systems.  I've been working on common rail Duramax and Cummins since they were new.   I've seen a few VP44 pumps fail, but replacing that pump and it's lift pump fixes it for <$2000.  Just two parts and 5 hrs labor.  Not seen a Duramax pump fail (yet).  

I'll admit my conclusion that 6.4/6.7s STINK compared to ALL other diesels is not a scientifically verifiable conclusion.

I've just got experience enough to know a turd when I smell one.  ;)