Disney

TookaDueceCoupe

Rate this topic:

14 posts in this topic

Well, having gone through a couple projects recently another one fell into my lap. Or on my face... However you want to look at it. It's a 1990 Mustang Coupe. My third coupe in as many years. This one though is powered by a stock 5.0 and 5 speed. To say this car is rough would be an understatement. I mean.. It's rough. So.... Plans.... I don't know yet. I am torn in a couple directions. Part of me says; just get it running and driving good and someone can have a rough exterior daily driver. Another part of me says; It's not that much more work to just restore the thing 100% and sell it off for big big money. Then yet another part says; do the interior nice, put a turbo setup in it, and leave the outside rough, like a sleeper.....  So I don't know right now what i'll do.

The good: 

Body is pretty straight. Black interior. It seems to run pretty good. not a lick of rust on it. 

The bad: 

The rest of the car.  Has wiring issues, paint is killed beyond killed. needs bumper covers replaced. needs every single bit of exterior trim replaced or restored. Needs interior restore and GT style seats installed. Needs rear seat. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. It needs a lot. 

I'll add some pics when I get home. If I tear into it, i'll try to update this thread.

JohnC likes this

Restore? Nah... :no:

Sleeper street and strip car? yes... :yes:

Leave outside rough.

Pull the backseat out and delete.

Pull most of the bad interior **** out and make it a light weight race car interior, i.e., no carpet, cheap light weight race seats, etc. Cage it. 5.3 LSx with turby and supporting mods. Run it, get timeslip and then sell it.

But it's up to you.

I just figure tossing the old weak-sauce 5.0, bad interior and wiring for LSx swap and race car **** will be cheaper and easier. Then the street racer guys will snatch it up for the Mexico action.

Theres no back seat to pull :roflmao:.  The 5.0 fires right up tho and sound healthy, getting some motor/trans mounts to get the shifter off the floor pan will help determine if it at least has decent drivetrain.  I looked at it but it was too much for me right now.  I was gonna do the rough exterior, decent interior DD car but Drag car was only other real option I saw with it tho I would love to slather the thing in #7 and see if it has ANY shine left just for kicks.  

Matt

No. There is no #7 for this thing. It's a full blow apart repaint if anything. I keep thinking about painting it white. I've always liked white Coupes for some reason.

Not QUITE as rough now? Took all the old tint off. Huge improvement. New door handles and locks all around. Fixed engine/trans mount issue. installed 3G alternator kit. All new headlights and tails installed. Took it down the road and did some power pulls. Runs really good!! It's about ready to list I think. Going to button up a couple more things then it's ready. 

JohnC likes this